Reviews for Courage
twotoe chapter 1 . 5/19/2009
I think I sort of split the difference on the idea of Bobby having these thoughts as to what I think of the idea. Right on what was the only thing that had a chance-if anything did-to get through to Sam, but not sure he had a 'right' to think he knew best considering he was prepared to risk Sam's soul for the greater good because there was an apocolypse happening. We have to remember that while Dean might have seemed to some callous and hard-lining on the issue, he had been to Hell; he knows what that is like and as hard as it is for him, in this situation he is trying to save Sam's soul so that the brother he loves will never have to go through that for eternity, even if it would have destroyed Dean as well if Sam died in that room.

That Sam unfortunately turned out to be wrong in the end on just about everything he believed was right isn't a huge factor to me because he believed he was doing right about it and they were both, Bobby and Sam, willing to sacrifice Sam to fight the apocolypse. Sam believed he wasn't coming back from the fight or at least wasn't coming back as anything resembling himself, that he'd be changed-damned perhaps- and Bobby for the first time seemed to be written contradictoryly on the show from one episode to the next in the last two. Or at least hypocritically to some extent. Concerned for Sam's life really, but willing to let him out for the greater good and sacrifice him, but then wanting Dean to talk to him and not fight which is typical Bobby.

But I think Sam is also in for a big Bobby talk himself when he gets back there. I think that Bobby is going to be equal opportunity on the hard truths as both boys made mistakes in either what they did or how they dealt with it. Dean had his, and Sam is going to get his. He did try to strangle Dean in that room, he did choose Ruby- admittedly because of the addiction and because he thought he needed the Demon blood cocktail to kill Lilith- but still chose her and that mission over his brother who really has never done anything his entire life but try his best to love and protect him in the best way he knew how. Words said out of frustration and terror aside as one doesn't at all preclude the other in real life. I do think your fic is a bit one-sided in that way as it seems too absolute on a 'side', and I think if Bobby is thinking this which is possible for that moment in this situation, then I think again that in his next unwritten thought he is also imagining where Sam has gone wrong with his brother.
Janiqua chapter 1 . 5/18/2009
Really like hearing this from Bobby's perspective. He's a wonderful character, and deserves more screentime. I think you did a good job. Bobby feels guilty in his own right, but at least he's there to steer Dean in the proper direction. Ignore the flame. She's probably just as frustrated with the actual show and has the bad form to take it out on you.
Illogically chapter 1 . 5/18/2009
Oh, Dean Dean Dean... And Bobby caught in the middle.

Ignore that other review, both of them have issues and Dean's the one you're focusing on here. (also "whinny" Dean makes me think of him riding a horse, lol)

I can't wait for the next season so you'll write more tags. You need to come up with a plot for a chapter fic already!

See you tomorrow!
vanillafluffy chapter 1 . 5/18/2009
I love your Bobby voice. (I swear, I want to marry that man!)

Only thing is, Sam hallucinated the part where Dean called him a monster-while that scene was going on, Dean was upstairs talking to Bobby. Considering what happened with his voice mail, I think it was a set-up, probably engineered by the same faction that help Sam escape.
rozzy07 chapter 1 . 5/18/2009
Thank for giving voice to Bobby's feeling that he has been holding in check all these months. It doesn't in my opinion make Dean seem whinny only distracted in as Hell damaged and so letting 'angels' warp his thinkings and so forget what being a big brother was all about (till when it truly counted - love me BigBrotherDean). Taking a step out of this equation Bobby could see the traumatic harm done to Sam with his brother's death and his own sense of failure of not being there for Sam when he started to break apart. So I say, yay, go Bobby go! It gives it all a sense of balance...
Faye Dartmouth chapter 1 . 5/18/2009
I really like this, and I do think you nailed Bobby here, and it's what I hope to see Dean and Bobby do as they deal with the fallout regarding Sam in S5. It's not that Sam was right or that Sam is doing good things or that Sam doesn't have a lot to be sorry for-but there's something really wrong with Sam on an emotional level, he's broken and drowning, and more than being condemned, Sam needs to be helped. While I sympathize with Dean's frustrations in dealing with his brother, there is a certain lack of understanding from Dean as to WHY Sam's doing what he's doing. I don't know if either Dean or Bobby fully acknowledged that Sam endured a significant trauma when Dean died and that he's still reeling from it.

Very nice insights all around :)
ann marie chapter 1 . 5/18/2009
Oh please - everything is Dean's fault again. Yeah poor Sam to have such a whinny older brother - I mean Sam only left and TRIED TO STRANGLE Dean because Dean was so mean as to call him a monster - oh and lets not forget Dean was ready to go after Lilith with Sam - it was Sam who insisted on taking his DEMON buddy Ruby that was the deal breaker - and since she did turn out to be EVIL and corrupting Sam Dean was right about that.

But obviously you doon't want to look at the nuances and complexities of these fascinating characters - far easier to make a trite story blaming it on Whinny Dean. I mean clearly Sam would be so much better off without the brother who sold his soul and went to hell for him!
sammygirl1963 chapter 1 . 5/18/2009
Yeah, I can actually picture Bobby having those very thoughts!