Reviews for Realpolitik
DaMan chapter 1 . 9/3
Earth politics. While not pretty at all still proved efficient since ancient times.
Meddwl chapter 1 . 11/23/2016
Interesting, in fact I am not sure whether to clap or cry.

I see two main pros and one larger con. First, I agree that the Federation like almost any other government is not (as a whole) nearly as principled as it pretends. Second, your writing is excellent if a bit depressing and cynical.

However, I disgree on the choice of spy. Julian was one of those rare and amazing characters that stuck to their principles "inter arma". He is the sort of person that makes the Federation work in spite of the backstabbing and duplicitous undercurrents. Garak or even Sisko may have stood there and let Romulus die but not Julian, not the man who took an admiral to task in a much smaller matter.

Especially not if he does marry Ezri...as the show poises him to...
mynamemattersnot chapter 1 . 1/18/2014
I only feel absolute horror that anyone would watch in silence as planets are destroyed just to prevent the discovery of all those coverups which the federation is responsible for! I hope you all can live with billions of innocent deaths on your heads... It's horrific, down-right wrong and makes me understand where Nero is coming from... It makes me feel angst thinking about just how many Romulans had died or just how easily all of it could have been prevented. Good story! So good that I could imagine that all of this had happened.
KiwiKugai chapter 1 . 9/23/2013
A disturbing, but interesting take on a Bashir who obviously accepted Sloans offer. And what's more disturbing is ... I agree with his rational

Even if it DID end up creating the JJverse *Cringe*
Tribal Graces chapter 1 . 8/2/2013
A very interesting, convincing, and thought-provoking scenario. Well done.
Harm Marie chapter 1 . 7/13/2013
very good.
JEREMY chapter 1 . 4/14/2013
I'm guessing this story was inspired in no small part by
the DS9 episode, "In The Pale Moonlight".
Lucillia chapter 1 . 2/10/2013
That was...whoa.
Magus1108 chapter 1 . 9/11/2012
Oh my. This is...this is...wow. Just, wow. This is an incredible oneshot, and it's all the more frightening in that I can see this happening, honestly.

Great job! Keep up the wonderful work!
tomrikersfakesideburns chapter 1 . 9/3/2012
Wow, I have to say I did not see that plot twist coming. Any plans for more stories about our spy's career between DS9 and the Hobus crisis? I would read them.
koolkame chapter 1 . 8/15/2012
Oh, man, I've been watching DS9 in Netflix like crazy recently and that made this all the more of a gut-punch. And I have to say, I even agree with Bashir on the matter. That's rough, isn't it? A great tale and a thought-provoking one at that.
lazyguy90 chapter 1 . 8/7/2011
Brutal...

Well done on this. Very nice work.
dylanredefined chapter 1 . 12/27/2010
Section31 explains how the federation continues to exist.

Faced with the foes it becoming the cynical spy who dooms the romulans is actually very possible. Brilliant thank you.
khaos974 chapter 1 . 5/3/2010
Very enjoyable but...
At first I really didn't think of it, but it seems to me that neither the Romulans nor the Federation are willing to commit genocidal slaughter or mass killings on civilian, which would not justify the hundreds of billion victims you claim a war would cause.
Moreover, saving Romulus would clearly be a peace gesture that could bz understood by the Romulans. And finally informing the Romulans about their star without giving them the red matter would shift their efforts from making war to saving themselves granting the Federation more time for preparations.
Nyotarules chapter 1 . 2/26/2010
Very good and thought provoking The sad thing is last time Julian and thes fellow geniuses decided the best thing for the Federation was to surrender to the Dominion, based on statistics they were so wrong. Would be good to continue the story if somehow Bashir finds out that in destroying Romulus in his universe destroys Vulcan in another, karma perhaps?