Reviews for Spiral Tangents
Meneldur chapter 14 . 10/21/2010
I don't think I have much to say. I read most of this already. I enjoyed the Hufflepuff episode. I thought it was a very nice example of Hufflepuff teamwork and tendencies. The part with Erin was nice, especially considering her angry message to Holly later.

Why did Natalia call Hermione Princes? Is it because she needed a nickname, and it sounds somewhat similar? Is there any reason for her to use Japanese otherwise?

Enjoyed the conversation between Newt and Hermione as well. I wonder what she's planning… I guess I'll wait and see.

The movie reference and Holly and Natalia mocking it was gold. Just what I needed.

Again, if you want to reply to this, I'd rather you add it to the review reply for the main story.
Vaughn Tyler chapter 14 . 10/17/2010
Little Lion chapter 13 . 9/2/2010
I feel like the lives of the characters progressed immensely through this chapter. I've definitely been missing this story- thank you for the update.
Meneldur chapter 13 . 9/2/2010
It's good to have you back. I've got a few comments, but I'll try to keep it short, for my sake as well - I'm just back from another week at college, and am planning to rest for most of the weekend.

It's good to know Hermione is being re-tutored. I assume it worked, and we'll see indicators of it in later chapters, yes?

The part with Sirius was nice. It was good to have someone else narrate. Though this reminds me that we had nothing of Newt the whole chapter, not even a single witty comment, and I wonder why.

The supper with Minerva was interesting, but offered no surprising revelations (to me, at least). Seeing it from Sirius' view made it fresher and better, though.

Holly's insecurity was something I wondered about in the beginning, and I was glad you resolved it. The explanation was quite logical. The explanation about Tonks was also illuminating. I didn't notice Holly really holding back at the end of the fight, though. Did she truly want to disfigure Fleur? Was the effect of the Allure that bad? I actually expected more talk about Fleur, though. I noticed you didn't include that line you sent me, which was fine, but I did expect more. The legend was alarming, especially it's implications, because it seems quite logical to me that Holly might have to duel Fleur in some part of the Tournament, and that might be problematic. I do hope Sirius' advice will help her.

The therapy with Remus was good, though a bit disturbing. It's hard to think of Hermione as a sexual predator – a reverse Mrs. Robinson, in a way. But it was still good, and I'm glad you resolved it.

The last pieces were both interesting and mundane. An alliance with Bartemius is profitable and intriguing, but more conflict with Albus is a bit annoying. Still, it seems to be going much better, and I need to read the next chapter and the bowling scene to truly pass judgement.

If I have Any other issues I'll mention in out message exchange. Until then, Meneldur.
jovan schnee chapter 13 . 8/31/2010
This is great. I've been waiting for my dose of Holly. Not that I'm complaining but some of this reads like it is part of the main story. Look forward to more. Thanks.
Vaughn Tyler chapter 13 . 8/30/2010
Taylor1991 chapter 12 . 7/29/2010
Great chappie. Quick question, does Pansy have MPD? Violet's/Pansy's behavior halfway through the chappie seems as much, but it wasn't clear. Wow, Hermione has finally broken the compulsions and will hopefully stop Holly from going downhill. Love a darkish Holly, but if she goes over the edge it will spell disaster for the whole wizarding world. Even though Holly wasn't thrilled with Tonks's stunt with Pansy, it will help her greatly. Now the whole Nev stunt, lol. This tangent certainly cleared up some of the inevitable confusion you'd get when reading chappies 41 through 43. Now we'll be able to see which of Hermione's actions towards Holly, sexually and other wise were driven and/or prevented by the compulsion. Keep up the good work.
Vaughn Tyler chapter 12 . 7/4/2010
Europec chapter 12 . 6/21/2010
Excellent tangents. Most enjoyable and now they also serve to fill in the blanks a bit so that's always great! Keep it up! It's wonderful!
Europec chapter 2 . 6/18/2010
Awesome! Very entertaining! Cheers!
Laplaciana chapter 12 . 6/11/2010
You my dear, are stone cold fuck nuts! And I mean that in the best way possible :)
Taylor1991 chapter 11 . 5/27/2010
Cool.

Note: loved the black mail Holly held against Daphne.
Henning chapter 12 . 5/22/2010
Ahh... finally :)

We had to wait a little bit longer than normal ( 1 month, I compared the wrong dates with each other), but got rewarded with a LONG and really nice tangent.

Slow but steady Holly's secret army is growing. I think Voldemort will get a BAD surprise if he is ever resurrected in his real form. Might be a little bit tough for Wormtail to capture Holly for the ritual at the end of the Three Wizard Tournament. ;)

Keep up you good work.
jmalbec chapter 12 . 5/22/2010
Actions define the future and the way individuals relate to one another. Toss in entertaining gratuitous scenes that reinforce the story in some small way and you have a pretty complete package.

Thanks for the time and effort.
Meneldur chapter 12 . 5/21/2010
I know I have no need to apologize, especially as I've been swamped with Finals, but I like to at least mention my reasons for taking so long – it makes me feel better. And actually, I could have written this on Thursday night, but I decided to go meet a friend I hadn't seen in some time instead, and when I got back it was way too late. I could have also written this morning, but I decided to go on a hike with friends. I did cut it short though, for several reasons besides this review. My mother was surprised – she didn't understand why I felt I had to write this review. When I told her that 'I feel the need to serve my lady/lord as soon as possible' she was surprised that I was not even sure of your gender, not realizing it was not relevant/needed in our relationship. But enough about me, onwards to the review:

This chapter was quite well written, with quite a few moments of humor and seriousness beyond the sex, but it was also somewhat confusing in several parts, requiring careful reading and raising questions. I'll list them forthwith, of course.

The first scene with Padma was brilliant. No sex, but the teasing was fun, and the conversation was beautiful. Padma's logical approach was quite refreshing. Her regarding Holly as an avatar was intriguing – an avatar of whom? Shiva in (just) his role of destruction, or also in his role of rebirth? Her observances about those who walk with avatars were spot on, though. I'll admit I'm no expert on Hindi mythology – my domain is rather Greek and Norse mythology – but this is prevalent in them as well. It is never wise to be close to the gods in Greek Mythology – Semele, Io, Daphne, Creusa, Paris and all the Trojans/Greeks – the point is, even if they're on your side/love you, you'll get hurt, and usually badly.

Holly agreeing to mark Hermione made much more sense this time. I assumed something had been hidden from Minerva. It was nice to know that 'Talia played a part in this as well.

Here is something that is unclear: the exact process of bonding with the mark. Throughout the chapter, reference is made to changing the ritual in many ways. But what exactly is the original ritual? How do these changes affect the Marker and the Marked? This should be made clearer.

Hermione's time with Harry seemed oddly unconnected. It appeared as though it had no purpose but to fulfill Hermione's desire to be with Harry. This was also proven from Natalia's talk with Hermione in the end. Will we see any results of this?

I still do not understand why Holly is so against doing anything with Luna. Does she believe that as Luna is 'disturbed' this would be similar to rape and hasten her descent into darkness? Or is it something else?

The whole Pansy part was somewhat confusing. Snape desires Hermione and punished Pansy because of that? Where/When did this happen?

So, what were the Compulsions that make Hermione want to avoid Holly or lesbian sex?

Natalia preaching to Hermione was amazing, and filled with fun moments, such as 'no, that's my job you uppity bint'. I hope Hermione does realize where she was wrong and selfish, and starts making up for it.

Holly professing her beliefs was interesting. I don't know what to say. I could mouth some empty platitudes about 'There is always one who must bear the sins of many' or 'We all have our cross to bear', 'God works in mysterious ways', etc. But I don't really feel that way. Judaism does not take the (as I see it) pacifistic approach of Christianity. In war, all is open. I admit I do not agree with many of Holly's actions religion wise, but I have no problem with others. There are Jewish laws pertaining to this: in war, the king can do nearly anything to, and most famous 'He who rises to kill you, rise to kill him', which means that if someone tries to kill you, even if he hasn't tried but will try, you're allowed (and expected) to kill him. Nor do I abhor revenge as punishment (when that punishment is deserved, of course). I hope you understand what I'm trying to point out here: that Holly may be concerning herself overmuch here with morality. As Illyria said “No being is cruel merely for the sake of being so. They are as such because it serves a function- fulfills a need. All that you would deem evil is simply a means to gain power. To gain power over a single individual - or many. Power is all. Those you think evil are simply the only ones of your pathetic race wise enough to seek it. You seek to be good and moral. Those who hold themselves to such constructs are weak. They are weak because they lack the ability to take such power or they are simply ignorant of its necessity.” I am surprised Holly cannot make this distinction between her 'normal' self and her 'revolutionary' self, when she can make another person spilt into two personas.

Why did Holly feel the need to cause Violet pain in the ritual? And what chambers did Holly skip in order to not make Violet's personality come out from Pansy's? This is what I mean – we need more information on the ritual, the Spiral and its abilities. Maybe a chart describing the chambers?

The idea of recruiting more followers was interesting. Why would Pansy think Tracey suitable? Who else would be suitable? Luna might be a powerful ally, though she doesn't seem to be a follower. Same with Fleur. I can't think of many more at the moment.

What was that last part where Padma, Natalia and Hermione entered, and Holly said that they expected her to do it the dark messy way? Obviously Padma called the other two, but why would Violet break free or Pansy go insane? Holly skipped two houses, did she not? What was 'dark and messy' in what Holly did?

The ending was perfect, though. Classic Holly and Natalia. And the omake was rather entertaining as well.

Until next time, Meneldur.
76 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »