Reviews for Spiral Tangents
jmalbec chapter 12 . 5/22/2010
Actions define the future and the way individuals relate to one another. Toss in entertaining gratuitous scenes that reinforce the story in some small way and you have a pretty complete package.

Thanks for the time and effort.
Meneldur chapter 12 . 5/21/2010
I know I have no need to apologize, especially as I've been swamped with Finals, but I like to at least mention my reasons for taking so long – it makes me feel better. And actually, I could have written this on Thursday night, but I decided to go meet a friend I hadn't seen in some time instead, and when I got back it was way too late. I could have also written this morning, but I decided to go on a hike with friends. I did cut it short though, for several reasons besides this review. My mother was surprised – she didn't understand why I felt I had to write this review. When I told her that 'I feel the need to serve my lady/lord as soon as possible' she was surprised that I was not even sure of your gender, not realizing it was not relevant/needed in our relationship. But enough about me, onwards to the review:

This chapter was quite well written, with quite a few moments of humor and seriousness beyond the sex, but it was also somewhat confusing in several parts, requiring careful reading and raising questions. I'll list them forthwith, of course.

The first scene with Padma was brilliant. No sex, but the teasing was fun, and the conversation was beautiful. Padma's logical approach was quite refreshing. Her regarding Holly as an avatar was intriguing – an avatar of whom? Shiva in (just) his role of destruction, or also in his role of rebirth? Her observances about those who walk with avatars were spot on, though. I'll admit I'm no expert on Hindi mythology – my domain is rather Greek and Norse mythology – but this is prevalent in them as well. It is never wise to be close to the gods in Greek Mythology – Semele, Io, Daphne, Creusa, Paris and all the Trojans/Greeks – the point is, even if they're on your side/love you, you'll get hurt, and usually badly.

Holly agreeing to mark Hermione made much more sense this time. I assumed something had been hidden from Minerva. It was nice to know that 'Talia played a part in this as well.

Here is something that is unclear: the exact process of bonding with the mark. Throughout the chapter, reference is made to changing the ritual in many ways. But what exactly is the original ritual? How do these changes affect the Marker and the Marked? This should be made clearer.

Hermione's time with Harry seemed oddly unconnected. It appeared as though it had no purpose but to fulfill Hermione's desire to be with Harry. This was also proven from Natalia's talk with Hermione in the end. Will we see any results of this?

I still do not understand why Holly is so against doing anything with Luna. Does she believe that as Luna is 'disturbed' this would be similar to rape and hasten her descent into darkness? Or is it something else?

The whole Pansy part was somewhat confusing. Snape desires Hermione and punished Pansy because of that? Where/When did this happen?

So, what were the Compulsions that make Hermione want to avoid Holly or lesbian sex?

Natalia preaching to Hermione was amazing, and filled with fun moments, such as 'no, that's my job you uppity bint'. I hope Hermione does realize where she was wrong and selfish, and starts making up for it.

Holly professing her beliefs was interesting. I don't know what to say. I could mouth some empty platitudes about 'There is always one who must bear the sins of many' or 'We all have our cross to bear', 'God works in mysterious ways', etc. But I don't really feel that way. Judaism does not take the (as I see it) pacifistic approach of Christianity. In war, all is open. I admit I do not agree with many of Holly's actions religion wise, but I have no problem with others. There are Jewish laws pertaining to this: in war, the king can do nearly anything to, and most famous 'He who rises to kill you, rise to kill him', which means that if someone tries to kill you, even if he hasn't tried but will try, you're allowed (and expected) to kill him. Nor do I abhor revenge as punishment (when that punishment is deserved, of course). I hope you understand what I'm trying to point out here: that Holly may be concerning herself overmuch here with morality. As Illyria said “No being is cruel merely for the sake of being so. They are as such because it serves a function- fulfills a need. All that you would deem evil is simply a means to gain power. To gain power over a single individual - or many. Power is all. Those you think evil are simply the only ones of your pathetic race wise enough to seek it. You seek to be good and moral. Those who hold themselves to such constructs are weak. They are weak because they lack the ability to take such power or they are simply ignorant of its necessity.” I am surprised Holly cannot make this distinction between her 'normal' self and her 'revolutionary' self, when she can make another person spilt into two personas.

Why did Holly feel the need to cause Violet pain in the ritual? And what chambers did Holly skip in order to not make Violet's personality come out from Pansy's? This is what I mean – we need more information on the ritual, the Spiral and its abilities. Maybe a chart describing the chambers?

The idea of recruiting more followers was interesting. Why would Pansy think Tracey suitable? Who else would be suitable? Luna might be a powerful ally, though she doesn't seem to be a follower. Same with Fleur. I can't think of many more at the moment.

What was that last part where Padma, Natalia and Hermione entered, and Holly said that they expected her to do it the dark messy way? Obviously Padma called the other two, but why would Violet break free or Pansy go insane? Holly skipped two houses, did she not? What was 'dark and messy' in what Holly did?

The ending was perfect, though. Classic Holly and Natalia. And the omake was rather entertaining as well.

Until next time, Meneldur.
lilypadandprongs4eva chapter 12 . 5/19/2010
wow that chapter was LONG. but i got through it all. i still love this story, even if i havent heard from it in awhile. but when the chapters are so long, its expected to take awhile. and it was worth the wait. a lot happened, thats for sure. it used to be so much less complicated, before it got to 3rd year and harry can into the picture, now so much is going on all the time. i have to concentrate pretty hard to get through it but i did enjoy it all. im glad hermione now has the spiral. i honestly didnt think it was gonna happen, and then when holly figured out it was pansy, not hermione, i was like, yeah, there we go, of course its not going to happen, but then it did so that was a nice surprise.

so yeah, looking forward to more, so until next time,

~lilypadandprongs4eva
Taylor1991 chapter 10 . 5/9/2010
Interesting. Liked it, but was a bit squicky at times AKA the whole bondage thing, but to each his own.

Oops, just realized that I should have read further before reading this tangent. LOL. Was delightful anyways.
Henning chapter 1 . 5/8/2010
You had a "tangents alert" three months ago, did something happen to it ?
Taylor1991 chapter 9 . 4/22/2010
Good chappie. Glad that the flower if only for a short time, lowered Hermiones inehebitions. Loved it. Was the visions/dreams Luna sent to Holly what the future could hold... what could happen if Holly didn't fix something wrong in her life... or plainly and simply what the future holds? HE as a death eater, hm, perhaps as a spy?
Taylor1991 chapter 8 . 4/2/2010
I previously thought that Holly had grown to fully trust Tonks. Every time someone tells her that they love her, she eraises their memories. How is she ever going to find the one she loves, if she can't trust Hermiones eventual "love"? Nice chappie. -
Taylor1991 chapter 7 . 4/2/2010
Interesting ritual. If Minerva finds out,she'll be pissed. Glad Holly has now (willingly) slept with a man. Glad you didn't write the details of the m/m stuff, as it'd be kinda awkward reading it. Is Holly going to mark Hermione?
Taylor1991 chapter 6 . 3/13/2010
Well, this chapter was MUCH more exciting than the last. Extreme understatement. Will Tonks continue to work in the law enforcement since it is so corupt? The next tangent sounds interesting.
Taylor1991 chapter 5 . 3/12/2010
Glad to see Flint be put down like the dog he is. Maybe now, the truth will be known about the punishment room, in order to hopefully prevent more abuse from occurring at Hogwarts. Did Holly supress the memories or what? Couldn't the aurors bypass the memory charms? Although it may be more merciful for them to not do it. Can't wait to read the "exciting" tangents, but Holly will have recovered from the trauma rather quickly. Did she use the sword of gryffindor?
Taylor1991 chapter 4 . 3/12/2010
Minerva's reaction was priceless. Glad that HE, didn't return to the Dursleys over break. How long of a life span does Newt have? Will HE be able to consieve naturally? They are going to be the hot topic at school.
Taylor1991 chapter 3 . 3/12/2010
Dean is a real bastard. Don't usually read fics where main character is raped, but in future, I'll just skip that part, cause your fic is to good for me to stop now. :-d

I meant no offense by that, it's just a personal preferance. Yes, yes she has black mail material on him now. *snickers at the posibilities of the revenge she will most likely take* given the whole Flint thing. Liked the Hermione and Holly action in the first scene. Wonder where Harry goes to school, or if he is home schooled. It seems as if Dean lied bout the not knowing bout the finer details of the feminen anitamey. Can't wait to read more. Will Holly indever to date other guys?
Taylor1991 chapter 2 . 3/12/2010
Totally cool way to keep the dementors at bay. It was a great chappie. Holly sure is a piece of work. She sure does know how "reve peoples engines". Hope she may someday be able if she so pleases, to make love with a boy she desires.
Taylor1991 chapter 1 . 3/12/2010
Intreging. The score card was very useful. How do we know what Harrys preferances are, when we haven't truly met him? Could you PM me with a description of Holly? I'll explain reason I can't access sites composed mostly of art work in a PM later. I'm curious what Holly looks like. Did this chappie take place during the time they were using the Q in second year? Going to read next chapter of this, cause I think it falls during the current timeline of where I'm reading in Spiral Path. Their first time right. -
Stygian Styx chapter 11 . 2/10/2010