Reviews for Fulcrum
siobhan.22 chapter 1 . 2/12/2012
Good chapter
pallasphoenix chapter 11 . 12/13/2011
This was really good! I know you haven't updated in years, but there seems like there will be more.
arysani chapter 11 . 11/7/2010
Fantastic. You leave a great set-up for the story to continue - that is, even if you don't write it, there is clearly MORE STORY, and a lot of fics try to ensure that nothing interesting can possibly happen after they finish telling their part, which I'm not overfond of.

I really enjoyed reading this - thank you for writing it.
arysani chapter 7 . 11/7/2010
"Kahlan was also sure that Darken was convinced his scars were calluses."

THIS. Perfect. And I enjoy how you never try to make Darken...fluffy. He doesn't have any great feeling that changes him, he's merely revealing more of himself. The little bit at the end with cutting the arm of a passing servant to write in the journeybook proves, I think, that he is still the same man he always was, even if now we know more about him. Fantastic.
arysani chapter 6 . 11/7/2010
Kahlan, I don't know what you're doing, but I'm sure I don't like it.
arysani chapter 3 . 11/7/2010
More gushing would just be embarrassing at this point, but with so many chapters left I'm going to have to put a lid on it. The back and forth between Darken's POV and Kahlen's fleshes both of them out fantastically. Nature vs. nurture at its best! What I'm actually hoping for here, is that by the end, both are changed. Each is attempting to manipulate the other, and knows they're BEING manipulated, but both are affected by it just the same. Fantastic character studies of both characters going on here.
arysani chapter 2 . 11/7/2010
GNNAH! I love this! I love her impressions of him (and some, like the clean hands thing, is one I shared) and how carefully he interacts with her. Also, this is FUELING my personal theory about Rahl being a man who lives up to expectations - his people expect him to be a tyrant like his father (oh to be sure there's darkness in him, but I like my theory anyway), and will not respect him unless he is, and so he becomes the part. I honestly don't know if he gives a flying goat either way, but he likes to please people. I figure his father did some pretty unfortunate stuff to him, and made him into this dark "pleaser". Hmm hmm and hmmm again.
arysani chapter 1 . 11/7/2010
Ooh I'm intrigued. I like it. I also find it telling that the only other Rahl fic I've read that I liked was yours as well. You've got a good setup here - how wonderfully the truth can be tilted, shown in different lights. That's the best thing about good villainy - there are no lies, just a different way of looking at the truth. And I can already see Kahlen is not (will not) forgive him, but she's already starting to understand how he sees her, and it's so close to how she sees herself on those nights she is kept awake by her conscience that it *feels* true and therefore correct. Looking forward to the rest of this fic.
adamsfamily chapter 6 . 8/20/2010
You do so well at showing how Darken and Kahlan each manipulate the other yet keep revealing more of themselves to each other. I also, really appreciate how you actually developed a genuine intellectual and, to some extent, an emotional, connection between them before you made their relationship physical.

Someone really needs to write a fic about Panis and Darken's mother. It's clear that has had such an impact on his entire life.
adamsfamily chapter 5 . 8/20/2010
"The thing I hate most about you is how easily I could have ended up like you." Kahlan's assessment of Darken's character here is just as accurate as his was of her in the previous chapter. It is intriguing that he does not explode in anger when she confronts him. She is influencing him more that he wants to admit, as in his constant need to justify and explain his actions to her.

I am interested in all of the political detail you provide. I assume you are very familiar with the books as I don't believe that we are ever provided with a lot of this history in the show. I like it.

Apart from, or in spite of, any sexual tension or attraction that may exist between Kahlan and Darken, working together they would have been excellent rulers. Each would have brought their unigue strengths to the table and would have balanced out the weaknesses of the other.
adamsfamily chapter 4 . 8/19/2010
Darken's assessment of Kahlan is spot-on: Compassion/mercy - Anger/vengeance. His opinion of her is much more balanced than her opinion of him. I like that you have her start to re-evaluate some of her previous assumptions by the end of the chapter.

"It seemed like everything important happened before he could remember it." - So sad. I wish we knew more about Darken's mother.

Even though you present Darken more sympathetically than most authors on this site, you don't back away from acknowledging the very real cruelty he is capable of.
adamsfamily chapter 3 . 8/19/2010
I like how Kahlan is starting to push back.

A great touch to have Kahlan learn from Darken himself that Richard is his brother. Unlike Jennsen, she has to ability to discern that it's the truth.

The image of both Kahlan and Darken being unable to completely break away from their childhood trauma was very affecting. They were both so damaged by their fathers.
adamsfamily chapter 2 . 8/19/2010
Darken trying to break Kahlan by boring her to the point of longing for his company is pretty clever.

Darken gets to solve a village dispute without unecessary bloodshed and Kahlan is manipulated into feeling gratitude because she actually gets to DO . And he respects her abilities enough to step aside and not interfere with her judgment.

It's hysterical how he counters all of her attempts to physically attack him with such calmness.
adamsfamily chapter 1 . 8/19/2010
I read this fic about 6 months ago and loved it. IMO you are one of only 2 people on this site who writes Darken Rahl well, and the only one who has written a long and well-written Darken/Kahlan fic. I wanted to come back and read it again.

There are so many great things about this chapter it's hard to know where to begin. You set up the story perfectly - Richard is out of the way so that you can focus on the clash of wills between Darken and Kahlan. She's immediately off-balance because he does not treat her the way she expects - no rape, no torture, good food, books, an offer to walk in the garden. Her realization that it is boredom that will wear her down rings very true and is also funny. In fact, there is a sly humor and sense of irony underlying the entire chapter.

Some of the many things I liked - Rahl's very accurate comparison of Kahlan's use of her Confessor powers to his actions to protect his empire - "Like me you know how to do monstrous things to stay alive."; Rahl's original feelings of total control eroding in his little diatribe about pain and fear being the only forces one can be sure of - lessons it appears he learned from his childhood; how he keeps catching himself from saying her name and also from referring to the Seeker as his brother; Kahlan's growing determination to plot her way out of her situation.

The very best thing about this wonderful story is the way you establish Kahlan and Darken as intellectual equals from the very beginning who constantly challenge each other and probe at the other's vulnerablilities. Your writing is totally unique.
Elliesmeow chapter 11 . 7/7/2010
Really interesting fic. I loved the way the characters were forced to look at different sides of good and bad and the choices they made for themselves.

I thought the relationship between Kahlan and Darken was really interesting. Loved all the details of their childhoods and how that contributed to the adults they are now.

I feel bad for the way Darken was raised. It's too bad no one ever tried to save and protect him as a child the way they did the Seeker.

Thanks for posting.