Reviews for When It Counts
HeRonFan chapter 1 . 7/6/2014
My first story back from RL hectic roller coaster, and I chose on of yours. As usual, Pol, you don't disappoint. You certainly have a gift, and an obvious love for these two characters who were written and developed so grippingly by Amanda and Richard. I hear their voices, and I see their mannerisms in all that you write for Sam and Jack.
I love the interwoven Threads with your own beautiful and realistic imagination. Things are not over the top, nor are they understated. Your Jack is right on target as he is there for Sam, showing up just when she needs him to be, but never pushy. He is always providing a bit of a wake up call for her to deal with the reality that she doesn't have to go it alone. Say the word and he's there: the locker room, the hospital room, the neighbourhood.
You wrote Sam's twisted, tormented emotions during this time so beautifully, and despite the nature of the situation, I was not depressed, but sympathized and empathized with her on so many points. Perhaps it was because in all this writing there was "always" the feel that she was turning her own corner. So interesting how YOU can make such an incredibly brilliant person still learn, but not devalue her earlier state. You treat her character with respect, even when she was making personal mistakes that we all make in some way or another.
Truly, another lovely piece of writing. Time well spent. Thank you for sharing.
bugintheforest chapter 1 . 4/24/2013
eegads! awesome! :)
Loufiction chapter 1 . 6/24/2011
This is just brilliant! Oh my god this scene in the locker room that you wrote is pure genius. I adore this story. How I wish we could have seen seomthing like that happening in the series :(
SaraBahama chapter 1 . 4/29/2011
Confession time Pol -I read this story several months ago before I was familiar with your other work. I enjoyed it then and was delighted when I came back to it after becoming more familiar with your other stories. The part that captivated me the first time was the locker room scene. Your work as a writer is excellent.

I do agree with IggyMing about the status of the relationship, though. I think that there is no way Sam would have slipped so deep into the relationship with Pete if she had really believed that Jack still loved her. I don't think she hated Pete at the end, either -she seems very disappointed in herself for hurting him in the episode.

"If looks could kill, Sam knew that Jacob Carter would be a smoking corpse." -this is my all-time favorite 'angry Carter' look in the series and you captured it in words. :)
hifield chapter 1 . 2/11/2011
Very well written - enjoyed it very much!
charlotte chapter 1 . 9/21/2010
I love that story !
TiaKisu chapter 1 . 12/4/2009
God, this was great! Sweet like sugar and yet so sad in a way. So many emotions all in one story. Okay, right, Threads for sure is a good guideline but still it's your words and the "in between" scenes you added that makes this one so special.

I really liked the drowning-theme you used and I could clearly feel her panic then. The scene in the locker room was just great! Simply love such moments! ;)

And these lines here: "She nodded slightly, her eyes filling again with tears as her dad closed his eyes in relief." They say everything that's needed to be said. Great work! :)

All in all yet another brilliant story of yours. :D

P.S.: About the background story for "Being there": didn't know that before. It's sweet and I can clearly see why you wanted to include this. :)
IggyMing chapter 1 . 6/10/2009
Lovely companion piece to the first story. However, when Jack says, "I love you. I think you already knew that", I must say that I wholeheartedly disagree. I honestly do not believe that she knew that Jack loved her. On a number of occasions (Lost City, for example), we see Sam struggling to have The Conversation with Jack, but each time, he blew her off. I don't think that Sam would have developed a relationship with Pete had she known that Jack loved her... I don't think I could respect her if she did. I think the only reason she was with Pete was because she thought Jack no longer loved her. I believe that in "Threads" is the first time that Sam truly realizes that Jack still loves her, after all of this time since the zatarc incident.

Sorry for the rant. I really enjoyed your story, nevertheless.
Miss.Understood 1982 chapter 1 . 6/9/2009
Really enjoyed reading both this and the previous story. Fancy doing another?
xwingday chapter 1 . 6/1/2009
Great work, though my favorite part is that final phone converstation.
Natters chapter 1 . 5/27/2009
great sequel - more please
JTSplash chapter 1 . 5/26/2009
aw I loved it:P Nice one:D:P Though you've made me want to rewatch threads lol. what stress:D::P
timepresent chapter 1 . 5/25/2009
Oh Pol, you've reduced me to tears again! I loved this, and what a fantastic twist on the scenes with Jacob on his deathbed. I really like that interpretation, and I think I'm definitely going to view that scene differently next time :)

~Josi
Lutherian chapter 1 . 5/24/2009
:) Aw. I loved it.
sg1star chapter 1 . 5/24/2009
thsi is the kind of ending that eposide should of had, gave jacob dying meaning yet gave a proper ending to it, though not a finish for jack and sam but a begining. So will there be more to this story?