Reviews for Cat's in the Cradle
ccase13 chapter 1 . 9/24/2011
JOhn would have had a lot to regret in this look back at his sons.
Rosetta Brunestud chapter 1 . 7/13/2010
Beautiful one

The truth is that John wasn't the best father in the world - not even close to that xD - but he was their father and the boys loved him! Even thought Sam fought with him all the time, he loved his father too

Kisses and see you around )

Rosetta
SunnyZim chapter 1 . 6/3/2010
This was utterly heart-breaking and tragic:-( John did love his boys - that much is clear - and yet in so many ways he did let them down, without intending to, with all the good intentions in the world. This was beautifully written and very powerful. I think you nailed John's character in this fic. Very good job. My only suggestion is that it would be nice if there were page breaks between each new section because it can be quite confusing sometimes. Otherwise, this was perfect - well done.
Thriving Willow chapter 1 . 3/23/2010
Well, that was not-I didn't-there was no crying on my part. Nope. Not...Not at all...

Okay, I cried. Is that pathetic?
bhoney chapter 1 . 9/8/2009
I read this in the zine, and it struck me the same way this time: incredibly bittersweet. It makes me want to cry. You do a good job of portraying John as a parent who doesn't always do what his kids need, doesn't always do the right thing by them, but who loves them and has mostly good intentions. He was definitely flawed but, I think, ultimately loved them.

This seemed to sum it up well: "It’s too late to do right by the boys the way they need. The way they deserve. But it’s not too late to protect them, one last time." In the end, he made the ultimate sacrifice to protect them, and that counts for a lot in my book, despite how I wish he'd have done things better with them earlier.

Very well-written and emotionally compelling.
asdfjkl chapter 1 . 8/21/2009
john's an idiot. and a bastard.

i totally agree with your characterization of him!
sylia91 chapter 1 . 7/7/2009
Love your fics. They are beautiful but bittersweet. This is what made me so mad at John Winchester in the episode Jump the Shark. I didn't begrudge him his other little family but where I previously had somewhat let him off the hook for being such a terrible parent because I never thought he had it in him after losing Mary but finding out that he made that effort for Jake really made me angry for Dean and Sam.
amyblair chapter 1 . 6/17/2009
I really liked this and I so enjoyed it being from John's POV. Nice job weaving and telling his story throughout.
carocali chapter 1 . 6/12/2009
Such beautiful introspection - the kind I've come to expect from all your stories.

Was John a bad father? Maybe, but we only see glimpses of what he did with the boys growing up. He probably thought he was doing the absolute best thing for them, and missing their greatest childhood moments - at least at the time - was no big deal.

Until it was.

Sorry I'm so late in reviewing, but it's always worth the wait! More please! Tetanus *cough*cough*...

:D

Caroline
pandora jazz chapter 1 . 5/24/2009
I was actually just reading the Brotherhood book the other day and read this story again.

You did a wonderful job with John, capturing a father who did love his boys, but was consumed by the hunt and didn't take time to pay attention to them.

It's a very good story, but sad, so many moments lost.

Thanks for sharing it with us.
ziggy.uk chapter 1 . 5/24/2009
Amazing fic. Fantastic insight into the mind of John Winchester and his regrets about what he should have done with his boys, but never managed to as a hunt always took precedence. The first part with John not playing catch with Dean was heartbreaking, even then he was driven by the hunt and Dean knew his promise of playing later wouldn't materialise. And giving Sammy the gun when he was too tired to be bothered to actually go with his son to check out the closet. Sam with his driving licence, John was so preoccupied he had no idea Sam actually had his licence but had to ask Dean to take him, another rite of passage he had missed.

All the parts were perfect, wonderfully written and well thought out, and you wrote all of their characters perfectly. Brilliant stuff.
Aimed mischief chapter 1 . 5/24/2009
Intense fic. Awesome. _
irismay42 chapter 1 . 5/24/2009
Fantastic look at the inner workings of the enigma that is John Winchester! So many fic writers paint him as some kind of unfeeling scumbag, so it's nice to read a story that is at least sympathetic to his shortcomings.

I really liked how he regretted everything he missed of his boys growing up, but then didn't have the time to ponder on that for too long, his obsession with the hunt always taking primacy.

I certainly think this story could fit with the events of Jump the Shark - which was eseentially John trying to right some of the wrongs he may have made bringing up Dean and Sam - especially the part at the end of the story when John thinks about the boys at least being prepared for what was out there, which Adam so obviously wasn't. So John may have seen himself as a failure as a father, but in that respect he most certainly was not.

You wrote all three Winchesters perfectly here too, in every stage of the story. Great stuff!
Nana56 chapter 1 . 5/24/2009
*sniff* Very, very good. So many opportunities missed...so many regrets. My heart broke for John during his last few scenes there. Beautifully done. :)
shmrck14 chapter 1 . 5/23/2009
Great look at John and his private reflective moments. I can imagine there were many of them, a lot of regrets which you focus on here. The brief snippets into the past absolutley fit into canon.

I'd love to see your take on some of his happier memories, and seeing where he did right as a parent.