Reviews for A Corrupted Summer
evolution-500 chapter 30 . 11/9/2012
I've just finished reading this story. If I were to give it a rating out of ten, it would have to be a ten. The amount of detail given to your settings and characters is amazing. Your Raccoon City feels like something observed from real life.

Despite your apparent dislike for the Rebecca character, I liked how you portrayed her. I liked that she wasn't some action hero. She seemed like a girl that was out of her element, and it's for that reason I kind of empathized with her.

It's interesting that there's a fan base for Speyer. Almost a little hard to believe because to me he had never had any sort of presence within the games save for his scream and resurrection as a zombie if you were to linger around for too long. I'm assuming this is based off of the S.D. Perry version?
evolution-500 chapter 4 . 11/7/2012
This has to be one of my favourite chapters so far. The characters here seem very likeable and familiar. It also looks like a lot of effort was made to make them feel authentically like police officers. In terms of the radio codes, since this is a midwestern, I'm presuming that you are basing off of Boulder PD's?
evolution-500 chapter 1 . 11/6/2012
From reading this beginning chapter, this story is very promising. You really made the characters seem like flesh-and-blood individuals as opposed to cardboard cutouts. The title seems a little curious. Was it taken from the name of a song or something?

Look forward to reading the rest.
Saint Sentiment chapter 30 . 5/4/2012
Hello again.

The last few chapters really stuck with me. I have do admit even now I have a hard time getting them off my mind. Let me just say that I read this story knowing full well Forest's canon fate, but when it came, I couldn't help but yell at him in my head as if I were chiding a tragically uninformed horror movie character who REALLY shouldn't go up those steps but is going up them anyway. God, I felt so horrible when he died! Motherfucking crows!

And after his death, we went to Irene, who I was also expecting to die. When I finally put two-and-two together and thought, "NO FUCKING WAY - dis bitch be pregnant!" I almost cried. I was so happy a part of him was living on, since Raccoon would be destroyed, and he would only really live on in the minds of Chris, Jill, Barry.. but all other traces of him would be gone - and he was too much of a real person to just be GONE! I'd never accept it! The last scene put some of my pain to rest. He really didn't live in vain, and even though he has a family he can never be a part of, I'm glad that it was a testament that not everything was destroyed with Raccoon.

After the fic, I kept on seeing the faces of the Maddy, Darius, his brother, all these people that we had the privilege of glimpsing into their lives before they were taken away. It's just so haunting.

My life would pretty much be complete if you ever took your knack for original characters and pitted them against the horror of Silent Hill. Seriously, I'd love you for all time.

I do fervently hope to see that Trevor family fic some time in the future. I know full well it will blow me away - and you just might make me cry this time. I was so sad by the time I finished reading I skipped the preview. At that point I didn't think I could squeeze in another set of characters in my head to agonize over. I really do hope you continue posting fics - if only just the Trevor one - because you really are a gifted writer and I'm sure your original fiction is just as awesome, if not better. Lord knows I'd love to see that, too.

Sorry for the cursing earlier; as you can tell, I got a little emotional. XD

By the way, I did some research of my own into Srebrenica. The wiki page was kind of convoluted, but it became easier to put into context after I had watched an hour long BBC documentary about it just 4 years after the massacre. It really was an atrocity you'd never expect to see after the barbarity of World War II. It was a lot like Raccoon City in a way - incompetence and corruption and outright apathy leads to the end of thousands upon thousands of innocent lives. And in the end, real justice continues to be stalled. It truly defies understanding.

I'll end this on a less depressing note - you're a gift to the fandom and I'm so glad that someone wrote something like this, and what's more, stuck it through to the end. Thirty chapters is quite a task, and most fics this long will end up boring me halfway through, but thankfully, not a word of this was a disappointment-painful certainly, but satisfying all the same.

Saint
Saint Sentiment chapter 21 . 4/18/2012
Hello, Cjjs. Your appreciation really warmed my heart, so I had to reply. Of course, as a fan fic writer, I'm sure you'd appreciate it more in review form-and it's a review as well as a personal commendation.

This is the chapter I stopped on. Sorry I didn't review any of the earlier chapters-I admit what kept me from reviewing was that the story was already completed and it already had praises falling out of its butt so I thought my opinion wouldn't really catch your attention. Lol! But I'm glad you do appreciate it, that way I can throw my shyness to the wayside and say that your place on my favorites (both as an author and the story itself) are well deserved. And your fic is a living testament that OCs CAN work and be done correctly-while also managing the near impossible task of getting readers to actually care about them.

I'll tell you right now-these people were real to me. From interpersonal experience and from all the things I've heard about others I haven't even met over the course of my life, I know that characters like Darius, Maddie, Irene, and even your characterization of Forest, are real archetypes of people. A lot of their childhood memories and experiences are ones I can relate to-nay, readers from all across the board can relate to. And this is why this story succeeded in the way that it did. You didn't give your OCs all these wacky abilities and unusual names, nor did you spare them from the fate most of the denizens from Raccoon have fallen to just because we get to know them as people before they die. As a bunch of Average Joes on the threshold of disaster, we can feel them because they beat inside of us all.

Anyone can tell the story was planned with care and a large measure was given to the realistic portrayals of the police force, the normal civilians, and the horror that is warming to a boil and will soon overwhelm them. The suspense is esquisite, especially since we all approach this story knowing perfectly well that Raccoon will be shot to hell by September 22, 1999. As I read on, the days advance toward their destination in the games with perfect pacing-or their detonation, rather.

I can't think of much more to say except I highly esteem your capabilities as a writer, and that perhaps you're better than both my uncles-even if are a little creepy. Lol. Just joking.

Saint
barbeed chapter 11 . 4/5/2012
The author's note on this chapter made me laugh (I am re-reading through this stuff to get some inspiration for an upcoming chapter) You have dedicated more energy to Speyer than his creator has. Speyer was completely forgettable before this fic.
captain-tots chapter 27 . 3/29/2012
So, I read through this pretty fast. Once I started, I just could not bring myself to stop.

I'm going to go back and comment on some of the chapters that really stuck with me later, but for now, this is the one that made me stop reading and *need* to write a review.

I love the way you write the Birkins so much. It's not exactly a big secret that I adore the two of them, so the fact that they show up together here just might be the reason I had to stop and catch my breath; I was fangirling so hard. Down to business though, I *really* like the way they're portrayed here, sort of as an extension onto each other. They're less like a couple and more like a unit. The way they act in tandem is kind of creepy, and I can see it *so well*. I feel bad for Annette; William trashing her desk. Her attitude towards his outburst just adds to the whole synchrony vibe you get from the two of them. She just knows what he will do and isn't really concerned by it anymore,

"Their matching translucent skin and sulphur coloured hair made them seem more like siblings than spouses, living replicas of H.G. Wells' Eloi."

It's a really haunting image and a nice reference. Have I mentioned how I love all your literary tie-ins? Because I do.

Onward from my blatant fangirlism to the rest of the story: I'm not going to cover details here, because I'd ideally like to go back and comment on specific chapters. What I will say is that reading this gave me the same feeling I got when I read "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo", not to compare the two in any capacity, because it's apples and oranges, and I don't know your feelings on that book, *but I digress*. What I mean by that is that this story literally has my pulse going faster, that mass of dread forming in the pit of my stomach, and I can't stop reading it because I'm scared and excited and *need* to know what's going to happen next, or I might just explode. You've gotten me so invested in all these characters.

I love how every person we encounter has some form of personal tragedy. If not done right, that could make the story burdensome to read, but you do it so well, that it just makes me care about the characters, having just met them. Everyone has their own cross to bear, and they do it without self-pity. Well, everyone except Birkin. But, he's a five year old in a lab coat.

Going to finish this now! I can't wait to see how it concludes.
captain-tots chapter 9 . 3/29/2012
So, after my aforementioned brain splattering incident with The Big Blind, I figured I should take the time to read this story. I pretty much blazed through the first nine chapters in about an hour or so, and this is the first time I've stopped to collect my thoughts and process the awesome which has just transpired.

This story is just so fantastic. I usually have issues remembering OC's when they occur in fan fiction, but all of your OC's are so incredibly well developed that they feel like they should be canon. There's clearly so much thought in this.

I've never really paid Forest any attention, but I just love your depiction of him. All of his troubles feel incredibly genuine and real, which is to capture when going into a character without a whole lot of previously established behavior patterns. Nothing ever feels forced.

Being someone's Gatsby doesn't sound terribly appealing...is drowning a literary reference? ;D

I'm going to continue reading through this. Expect another review when I stop to catch my breath.
Techne chapter 30 . 3/13/2012
And so Irene says goodbye to Raccoon City and to Forest. I'm glad to see that she chose to leave when she did.

I look forward to seeing what else you cook up in the future. This story was amazing, you did a great job on it and Irene's character was refreshing to see from the constant Mary-Sue OC in the RE section.
Techne chapter 24 . 3/13/2012
YES! Irene came through with flying colors and didn't back down from that dick Irons!
Techne chapter 23 . 3/13/2012
Another amazing chapter.
Techne chapter 22 . 3/13/2012
Yay for Wesker being such a dick! Lol. I always love how he just bosses people around and is that good to where they know no to disobey him or face the consequences.
Techne chapter 21 . 3/13/2012
So this is how it turns out eh? Please don't tell me that she is going to sell out! Not after all that she has witnessed so far! God, shes going to be one idiot if she ends up doing something stupid like that.

And at the end with the Clive Havel reference. I'm going to have to check that story out once I catch up on the tons of other stories I have promised to take a look at.
Techne chapter 20 . 3/13/2012
Don't tell me Irene's been bitten! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You're such an ass, lol. I'm thinking though that maybe theres more to it than what was shown. I hope so at least.
Techne chapter 19 . 3/12/2012
More in-depth look at Irene! God, I love her so much!