Reviews for Prayer
aka Arashi chapter 1 . 9/19/2010
Hey, it's Capt-BA and I'm just a little curious how this epic piece of Tokka (with a side of Yuokka) hasn't made it onto dA? Hmmmm?

I don't know how many more times or in how many different ways I can say that I love Sokka's pain, in whatever form it comes, because he is just SO GOOD at suffering. It really really gets you whether it's the series or a good fic. So thanks for writing this, and totally post this up on dA, ya nub! ;)
Lost In A Dark Wood chapter 1 . 11/22/2009
I rather liked this bit. Unfortunately, I read your author's note last and it sort of overshadowed the rest of the fic. Yes. I am an easily distracted idiot.
Bluetiger chapter 1 . 6/20/2009
Well I've been meaning to review this brilliant oneshot since I first read it, but since that was a few weeks ago now, I guess I owe you something of an apology. *facepalm*

Writing this from Toph's point of view was a really clever idea, since her unique perspective gives her a much clearer insight into the real emotional state of the extended gang as they deal with both the heavy burden of their recent failure, and their fears for the loved ones that they were forced to abandon to the tender mercies of the Fire Nation. Naturally, since the whole invasion was Sokka's idea (and arguably the reason for it's failure was largely due to his inability to resist Azula's transparent attempts to distract him), his failure was much more complete than it was for any of the others. In fact I was kind of annoyed that Sokka seemed to be back to his usual, happy-go-lucky self for most of the WAT episode, since it felt really out of character for once. So I guess that this is the sort of fic I've been wanting to read for quite a while (I've even been thinking of exploring it with my own mediocre talents, but I would never have been able to write anything as clever or profound as this). :)

That Toph should think herself a voyeur because she can see past the smile that Sokka is presumably using to hiding his despair from the rest of the gang, was quite a powerful idea, since it shows both just how vulnerable Sokka was right at that moment, and also just how much Toph herself depends on his quiet, but constant inner strength. I guess that one of the many reasons that Sokka is my favourite character from ATLA, is due to his incredible resilience in the face of the many personal set backs that he seems to constantly suffer (although even his resilience must have it's limits). So I've always kinda felt that Toph's feelings for Sokka were mainly due to the fact that, as an earthbender, she truly appreciated that inner strength, courage and determination which he possesses, despite his not being able to bend an element. Hmm, now that I think of it, I suppose that if he'd had the necessary spiritual wherewithal, and had been born to Earth Kingdom parents, then he'd have probably been a truly great earthbender. :D

I really loved Sokka's talk with Yue, especially the way that he thanked her for his sword, it would never have occurred to me to link the falling meteorite with the Moon Spirit, but it's such a great idea that I now wonder if that's what the shows writers had always intended to imply, and I was just too dumb to notice. I'm glad that you made a point of stating that Toph had no idea as to who or what Sokka was talking to, because she obviously wouldn't have, a mistake that quite a few writers of fanfiction make when they cover similar ground, lol. Of course, my annoyingly extensive knowledge of matters astronomical means that I have to point out that, since this all takes place immediately after the day of black sun, the Moon would have set below the horizon many hours before Sokka gets up for his nocturnal chat, and while I guess you'll probably just see that as me being unnecessarily picky, I'm afraid that it's just one of those little details that I'm particularly sensitive to, sorry. ;)

I think my favourite part of this story is the scene when Sokka returns to camp after drying his tears, and Toph asks him for an explanation of what she's just witnessed him doing. It's kind of amusing to picture Toph, as she listens to Sokka's seemingly fantastic tale of love, princesses, loss and sacrifice, sensing the genuine truth of his words. I found her need to know if Sokka truly believed that Yue would hear him when he talked to the Moon, quite intriguing, it was almost as if she were questioning whether she really knew him at all. The conclusion, as Toph manages to find something to help lift Sokka out of his almost Zukoesque pit of self loathing and failure, was really nicely done, and kind of helps (for me at least) to bridge the gap between the failed invasion and the gangs arrival at the Western Air Temple. _

Yeah, well in short, I really like this story, so thanks for writing it. )
Loopy777 chapter 1 . 6/1/2009
This was a nice piece. It looks a bit odd, with very few longer paragraphs, but it reads well. I see you brought back the concept of Toph finding Sokka's heartbeat reassuring, something I think very clever and in-character.

I like that the piece works both as crushy-Tokka, and a sign of their deeper friendship. And it's always good to see the more serious Sokka, especially in the wake of the failed Invasion.
Miyiku chapter 1 . 5/26/2009
Pretty good story. I agree with RabulaTasa, the plot is a little overused, but Sokka's talking to Yue, and attributing the eclipse and the sword to her it's pretty novel.

The langiaje is not exactly very usual, you use some uncommon words (I can tell because I'm not a native english speaker and your fic sounds a little different from what I've read).

Keep this good work with your next fics :3
Sanguine Ink chapter 1 . 5/26/2009
You captured the emotions very well, and I liked it.
RabulaTasa chapter 1 . 5/26/2009
Discussing The War Against Terror is another good opportunity for gratuitous TWAT usage. If someday I were to design a municipal elevated railway public transit system, I'd call it "The Way Above Town," and if someday we start living underground, we can call the subterranean living areas Communities UnderNeath Town... and then I'd be run out of town on the TWAT.

While the subject of Toph overhearing Sokka's conversation with the moon is a rather well-visited one, I think you've executed the story very well, and managed to throw in some additional details that I haven't seen before (specifically, Sokka's attribution of TDOBS to Yue). Are there plans for continuation? It's not marked 'complete' but the conclusion seems fairly... conclusive.

-John