Reviews for Camerado
arizonadaydreamer chapter 31 . 7/29
I read this story in its entirety overnight and wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed it.
You very smoothly inserted this friendship-to-relationship into the Canon timeline in a way that felt natural. This ship usually requires some rather OOC choices and it was quite fun to read something that just slipped naturally into the original characters and timing.
I also was very impressed with your pacing of the relationship, as they both slowly started to trust in what they were finding in the other. It never came across as either rushed or painfully slow as a reader. I so liked watching them both be their fumbling selves at time.
Overall, the balance in this story was just very lovely. Thank you so much for sharing!
Waterpiska chapter 31 . 7/20
Wonderful, absolutely wonderful. I loved this story. It had me completely engrossed and was a wonderful slow burn.
MistrissOfMagic chapter 31 . 7/14
I liked the plot. For the most part it meshed with canon, which was nice. I appreciated the Ron you depicted, and you delivered the Ron/Hermione scenes with far more grace than most SSHG writers. Hermione's conflicted feelings about their relationship felt plausible. I was also pleasantly surprised when the story followed JK's version of the battle of Hogwarts rather than that of the movie.

However, I just didn't fall in love with your characterizations of Hermione and Snape (and other characters to a lesser extent, but I digress). It seemed like they were nervously babbling in every sentence to each other. The blundering is expected to an extent, but the excessiveness of it caused them to lose the strength they are both known for in canon.

Overall I enjoyed your story. Thanks for sharing!
Kerr Avonsen chapter 31 . 7/13
This is soooo good. Why have I not read this before? Why has it not been recced in my presence before?

Let me count the ways:

* Lots of character-insightful stuff, even from the start.
* Snape pointing out that Hermione really wants to learn Occlumency because she was jealous that Harry got to learn something that she didn't.
* That he points this out when Hermione attempts to play the "for the good of the Order" card.
* Hermione realising relatively early on that Snape smells of her Amortentia. But this doesn't mean that she immediately wants to jump his bones, unlike many other fan stories along this line.
* Dumbledore forcing Snape to teach Hermione Occlumency, and then later, Legilemency, after Snape has refused Hermione on both counts.
* The worldbuilding with how the Occlumency and Legilemency is taught.
* That Snape gives Hermione a lecture (and books) about the theory of it, because he knows *she* will find it useful rather than boring.
* That Snape puts off the Legilemency lessons and avoids Hermione because he is *terrified* of Hermione seeing into his mind.
* And that Hermione realises he's been dragging his feet, and out-stubborns him.
* The surprising (to me) twist that Harry really *is* hopeless with Occlumency, he simply can't do it, even when it's Hermione teaching him.
* And Hermione, typically, blames herself for Harry's lack of progress.
* Hermione assuming that there's something wrong with Harry because he doesn't feel the same as Snape in her mind, not realising that what she experienced with Harry (detached observation) is the normal mode of Legilemency, and that what she experienced with Snape (true feelings and intimacy) is the thing which is unusual.

* Hermione's reaction to her first Order meeting; their contempt for Snape, their indifference to the deaths of Muggles (in the sense that they shrug their shoulders and say "there's nothing we can do") and all of Hermione's (quite reasonable) suggestions are shot down in flames - and adding insult to injury, Dumbledore trots out his usual "for the greater good" excuse, and Hermione wonders to herself how preventing needless deaths *isn't* part of the "greater good". And of course, nobody questions Dumbledore's "wisdom".
* We have a Manipulative Dumbledore in this story, but it isn't blatant or unsubtle; or perhaps I should say, that the surface level manipulation is clear enough, but as the story goes on, we find out more and more outright lies and misdirections, whose purpose seems to have been to waste everybody's time looking at one thing, so that they will blindly walk into the chess-piece sacrifice that he has planned for them. That Dumbledore's keeping so many secrets from the Order wasn't so much for security against Voldemort, as it was to keep absolute control over his chess-pieces. And Dumbledore never ever questioned that he was right, and none of the people around him had enough information to question anything - except Hermione.
* Dumbledore disapproved of Snape being friendly with Hermione because it might give him a reason to *live*, rather than feeling sufficiently suicidally miserable that death would be a relief.
* Even as a portrait, Dumbledore demands and disapproves and plays chess-master. Or attempts to. Snape isn't listening any more.
* I liked how Hermione raised the question of multi-way communication via the pendants, was shot down by Dumbledore, raised it again later with Snape, was shot down by him, and then, at the last possible moment, when it was clear that Things Were About To Happen and that Dumbledore would soon be dead, that Snape relented and allowed her to charm their two pendants to communicate with each other. I was afraid that it would become too late and it wouldn't be done.

* The way Ron and Hermione's relationship is dealt with: that they *are* attracted to each other, but it turns out that even mutual physical attraction isn't what Hermione wants (even if the sex is good) because the sex is the only thing that is good about it.
* Contrasting this with her gradual falling for Severus, which begins with respect and admiration, becomes friendship, becomes longing for his *company*, and the physical desires come last. Which is how I like it. Particularly the whole "longing for his company" thing.
* The way Hermione puts so many puzzle-pieces together and figures out one secret after another.
* That Dumbledore is dying.
* That Snape loved Lily Evans.
* That the Vow forced Severus to kill Dumbledore.
* That Dumbledore set up Snape to be killed by Harry so that Harry would be master of the Elder Wand, and thus survive being killed. ("If he wasn't already dead, I'd kill him myself.")
* And, last of all, that Draco was the master of the Elder Wand.
* The way that both Hermione and Severus conclude, quite logically, on separate occasions, that the other one doesn't love them, because (a) they misinterpret nervousness as indifference, and (b) that the other one is in love with someone else. That is, Hermione figures that she doesn't have a chance with Severus because she assumes he is still in love with Lily, and Severus reasonably assumes he doesn't have a chance with Hermione because Phineas Nigellus told him that Hermione was doing the horizontal tango with Ron, and Severus didn't know that Hermione and Ron broke up shortly afterwards.
* I liked the way Severus slowly realised that not only could Lily never have loved him, but that she wasn't really that great a friend either, not compared to Hermione.
* That lovely scene where they both admitted that even if Ron and Lily (respectively) came back and declared their love, Hermione and Severus wouldn't want them back.
* The way the isolation of them is shown, because they desperately want to know if others are dead, and they have no way of finding out.
* The way Severus is holding on by his fingernails in his hellish position as Headmaster.
* The way their communication with each other gives both Severus and Hermione solace.

* The last day of the war, relentless, what with the bank break-in, break-out, and then, without any pause or respite (or chance for Hermione to tell Severus that he isn't the master of the wand) Harry takes them to Hogwarts to find the Diadem, and everything goes to hell.
* The way that this is CONSISTENT WITH CANON! (Apart from the Epilogue) Most stories along this line are either AU, or end with Snape's death.
* Not just that there were things behind the scenes which Harry didn't witness, but moments of canon which meant something different than they appeared to.
* That Snape ran away during the battle to ensure that Potter would be the one to kill him, not anyone else (because he didn't dare risk that Hermione was mistaken about Draco being the master of the wand) And that this was the reason he kept on asking Voldemort if he could look for Potter.
* The way that Hermione confronts Dumbledore after the war is over, and then stops him from answering her question, because it doesn't matter if the answer is yes or no, it was still true that Dumbledore did not have Snape's best interests at heart.
* The way that Hermione desperately tries to find out what happened to Severus, and falls into despair when her last hope of finding out (Lucius Malfoy) dies in Azkaban without her having been able to talk to him.
* The twist that Severus was in a Muggle hospital in France, having lost his memory, and thus he wasn't able to contact anybody anyway.
* That Hermione is torn when she finds her parents, because they are actually happy with their new life, and she doesn't know if it would be right to take that away from them, especially since restoring their memories isn't necessarily without risks.

But, darn, I wish it hadn't stopped where it did! I mean, yes, it is closure, we know that Severus and Hermione finally managed to get in touch, but we don't know anything more! Not what the message was, not what happened with Hermione's parents, not what Severus and Hermione decided to do, not anything!

I won't beg for an epilogue, because so many people already have, and I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't want to write another word, considering how EPIC it was.
OptimusPrimegirl213 chapter 1 . 7/12
Keep up the awesome work
Tykuiya chapter 31 . 7/10
Amazingly done story ... I loved the plot ... also ... maybe sequel pretty please?
prissygirl chapter 31 . 7/10
Wow. This has been an incredible read and I just want to thank you for all the amazing hard work you must have put into this beautiful piece of fiction. I wasn't even halfway through when I knew this fic would probably become one of my all-time favorite SSHG stories. So, from the very bottom of my shipper heart, thanks for somehow (and I'm still in amazement that you pulled it off) creating a moving, gorgeous romance between these two within a mostly canon backdrop.

If you could hear me now, I'd be clapping until my hands hurt. Bravo.
prissygirl chapter 22 . 7/9
"Sod it."

I AM DEAD. YOU'VE KILLED ME WITH THIS SCENE AND YET, I HAVE NO REGRETS.
prissygirl chapter 19 . 7/8
I've been devouring this story every free moment I can -it's the perfect combination of canon and fanon and I am super in love with it!
prissygirl chapter 12 . 7/5
Fantastic chapter, especially the scene between them at the end. And I started cackling while reading the following part:
"She brought her head up from her knees, a slow, wicked grin blooming across her face. Severus felt something kick, hard, against his ribs, and he sucked in a breath. Fuck."
prissygirl chapter 11 . 7/5
I am absolutely loving this story! I burst out laughing when Snape got his gift from Hermione. It's so believable of her to send something like that. Probably my favorite instance of her sending him a gift in any fanfic ever.
SusanMarieS chapter 31 . 6/30
I suppose that work s for an ending. Thanks so much for the story
La Princesse De L'hiver chapter 31 . 6/26
It was wonderful, let me know if you wrote a second part
Imwaiting4myAliceandEdward chapter 31 . 6/23
I think this is the second time I have read this story. I love how you used the characters and the slow growth of the relationship between Hermione and Severus. I could picture each scene you painted, vividly and you made the fiction feel fact. Great job and thank you for taking the time to write and share this wonderful story!
Really enjoying this - I like the slow but steady movement.
1,233 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »