Reviews for The Throat of a Bird
MischiefManagedAndFishCustard chapter 1 . 8/24/2009
Oh my gosh, that was great! Ah, loved it. I'm all new to Sweeney fiction, so I'm still all innocent when it comes to the slash, haha. Very interesting - I really like how you portrayed Turpin...He's one evil ass, but when I eventually write flashbacks with him in it, this is how I'd like to write him.

Beadle just completely creeps me out - I feel sorry for the actor, I'm sure he's a nice guy, it's just everytime I look at him I want to shudder, even when I've seen him play a good guy (which is rare though). Okay, enough rambling about that, again I love this. I liked him regretting his restraint on Johanna in the carriage, and I loved his description of her too. Oh, jealous.

And the snapping the bird's neck at the end. Oh, how delightfully evil. For a moment I loved him.

PS - wasn't that gandering scene hot? HAHA, the first time I saw it in the cinema and Turpin did that I literally laughed out loud.
Jude Starr chapter 1 . 8/16/2009
Hah! Brilliant. Really well characterised and very subtle. I, too, feel like the Beadle is sadly neglected.
Charmes Malheureux chapter 1 . 6/11/2009
LOVE that scene. But I'm not sorry they replaced it either. (:

And slash bugs me because it's usually out of character, but this is so well done, and I agree with the person before me who called it subtle. The comparison of Johanna to the lapdog was clever, and so true, now that I think about it. What good is Johanna to anyone? xD It's the hair haha.

Thanks for showing the Beadle some love! Everyone hates him so much... perhaps Timothy Spall played his part a bit TOO well haha. I really enjoyed this, though. The longing, on Turpin's part as well as the Beadle's, is thoroughly felt. You've convinced me that slash can be pulled off, after all. (:
Cytisinth chapter 1 . 5/28/2009
The use of the word "slash" in a summary often scares off people who are afraid of seeing explicit sex, but this fic is actually very subtle. This may be one of the most subtext-dependent fics I've read.

I also like that the Beadle evidently cares more about the Judge's desires than he does about his own-or at least his dialogue implies he does. In this way, you added another level of depth to his character. One of the best aspects of fan fiction is being able to characterize minor characters in ways the original neglected; when done well, this process can produce some very entertaining stories. Yours is one of them.
Obscure Bird chapter 1 . 5/27/2009
Whoa. Beadle Bamford, I always thought, was the one character who was just wholly disgusting, but I guess you proved me wrong. That is amazingly well written, and it seems to fit so well. Great job, as usual. :)
unamuerte chapter 1 . 5/27/2009
OMG ha ha. I love this! I usually avoid slash like the plague but I totally see this working! It reminds me a lot of Mr Burns and Smithers. Aw poor Beadle. He he. Keep it going!
Scarlett Masquerade chapter 1 . 5/26/2009