Reviews for Hero's Reward
LittleLurker chapter 1 . 6/4/2010
Hi Smudge,

I liked this story... but - same as masondixon - I also never clicked with Adam and would not have wanted him included. Another thing that I sometimes find a little disturbing is how fast they switch from sadness, tears, deep feelings to light-hearted small talk, to (bad) jokes or to an entirely different topic. Sometimes it just feels a little inappropriate, even for Sam and Dean (or Bobby and Dean).

To Foreverwolf: John didn't say "...like I ordered him to." but instead: "...like I was going to ask him to." And besides, Smudge clarified it even further with: John gently stroked his son's head. "The last order that I was going to give to him."

I loved this line, more especially the entire scene in the hospital.

So, all in all, I really enjoyed this story because of the happy ending, but I also think that it was a little too much happiness, too much of everything. You even gave Bobby a daughter who just so happens to engage with Dean and even marry him. And they even get married without any of their family knowing about it, which I found very strange and I really do think that Dean would have moved 'heaven and hell' to at least have Sam there, but more likely also his Dad, Bobby and Sam's family (if he happened to have one at that point in time). Anyway, I think it was all a little to rosy-red tinted and somehow felt like a sugarcoated sugar cake ending, which doesn't really fit the series nor their lives. I do understand that you wrote it due to the depressing seasons 4 and 5, but somehow (I think) the story would have been better and so much more powerful if you had ended it with Castiel's gift to Dean: He touched Dean's head and with that he was gone.

That would have left some room for anyone's interpretation but would not necessarily have called for the rosy-red ending you chose to paint...

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the story and I fervently hope that you will keep writing SN-fics! This one just didn't speak to me like some of your other stories did or even still do.

Best wishes, Daniela
Foreverwolf chapter 1 . 6/4/2009
If they have to end the series, this would be a perfect way to do it... well, perfect until Dean comes back, anyway.

Up until then, it was very powerful. Especially John saying 'I think that this was Dean saving you son, the only way that he could, like I ordered him to.'

The only thing that gets me about that, was that that conversation, technically, never happened. So, how could John have ordered it? I love the line, it just doesn't fit in with what you were doing.

But yeah, Dean going back to that point to save the world? Excellent series ending. I love it.
Yellowwolf chapter 1 . 5/28/2009
Yay, happy ending! 3 this was very nice to read with everything that's gone down, lol. *hopes the boys will get their happy ending*

Also, very clever thinking with the going back in time (: It's a great plan! *looks at Kripke*
ukfan101 chapter 1 . 5/27/2009
I enjoyed this story. I thought Dean's idea of going back in time to change everything was pretty clever (well your idea!) and since Castiel was able to bring people back in time before. I liked how Sam and Bobby reacted to Dean's plan as well. The ending was good as they were all happy and together and you even brought Adam back. The small part that I disagree with is Dean getting married without Sam around. I know it was probably all last minute but I think that even at the end of season 1 the boys were really tight and that Dean would have wanted Sam at least to be there when he got married. The ending was also a bit sad because although everyone got what they wanted..Sam and Dean weren't together and didn't seem to be as close as they were in the other timeline, but I guess you can't get everything you want...good job!
riquitv chapter 1 . 5/26/2009
thanks for the story! I want a happy ending too :)
masondixon chapter 1 . 5/26/2009
Well, I was happy to see Dean was still alive and kicking at the end of the story. I never clicked with the Adam character so for me the right ending wouldn't include him. But with all the darkness this season it was nice to read a story where the boys finally have the lives they should have and they are still together. Thanks for your story.
apieceofcake chapter 1 . 5/26/2009
SPN needs a happy ending! Enjoyed this :-)