Reviews for Seventeen
DragonsRme chapter 5 . 2/17/2013
Fantastic story and I think you nailed the character perfectly. I must admit I have trouble remembering that he is a fictional character and get quite upset when he is overlooked or not put into episodes
beanrox chapter 5 . 10/13/2010
Heeheehee, can't wait for the sequel. (And, hopefully, a drunken!Chekov and possibly Scotty?)
beanrox chapter 1 . 10/13/2010
Hahahaha, Richards, you sneaky bastard - and Chekov, you poor one! ;D xD
anon chapter 1 . 8/1/2010
It's quite ironic that I came across this, actually. I've been feeling a lot like Chekov lately in this sense exactly, a sense that I don't think is very well expressed in the movie. So, I really did appreciate reading this. It's... very accurate.
fiatlux3721 chapter 5 . 8/4/2009
Yay! Very well written, and good back story for Chekov. Keep going!
graceandfire chapter 4 . 7/7/2009
**That was how, after dinner/breakfast in the mess, Chekov found himself being little more than a practice dummy with a foil and nerve endings while Sulu demonstrated his prowess, and how Sulu found himself out of breath after casually telling Chekov that there were no rules in a real fight, which resulted in him chasing Chekov around the ship's track and most of the smaller gyms before he collapsed, panting, after less than four kilometers. And since Chekov was very bruised but not breathing hard and Sulu was unmarked but panting heavily, they called it even and left good friends.**

I really like that last part. This is a very cute series (Chekov cannot escape being cute!) and I like his viewpoing.
Rose chapter 4 . 7/1/2009
Hate to be the bearer of bad news - but I'm a stickler for facts (especially military ones since I have an extreme bias about that) and have to point this out. An Ensign is an officer in the military, both in modern day Navy and the Star Trek universe. I stress the word officer because if you enlist in an armed services you do not get to jump to an officer position (barring a field promotion which Chekov couldn't have received in space dock). It is possible he was a Cadet Ensign, which would list his status at the academy correctly and he could simply be addressed by the second part of his rank, but this is highly unlikely in a situation where Cadets and Active Duty would have been mixed. Back to my original point, if Chekov had dropped out of the academy and enlisted he would be a Crewman Third Class and, regardless of his brilliance, assigned to a lower job like Uhura was until her field promotion. Just to prove I'm not making all of this up, here's my source: /en/wiki/Starfleet_ranks. It's the official ST wiki, check it out for info 'cause it's got a lot of it and it's fun to read. Bear is mind that this is constructive criticism and not a flame (I think that flames are pointless), it's purpose is to help you grow as a writer by providing positive critical feedback and helping to correct errors.

Ok - stickler moment over - whoosa. I really like the core idea of this piece, especially because so few people want to attach the hardships Chekov must have gone through as a 17 year old in an environment of people in their twenties. I also think that you captured Chekov's character pretty well and the arc of his mental acceptance of his age; at first resenting his youth and then being proud of it. Personally, my favorite moment is when he tries to drop out but has to get parental permission to do so, that had me chucking for a good five minutes.

I look foreword to reading anything you might write in the future. Thank you for the interesting piece.

Rose
Stormcloud22 chapter 3 . 6/27/2009
The OCs are very well-written, not one-dimensional at all. i love Chekov-centered stories!
bellachaos chapter 5 . 6/14/2009
Cute story. I liked the peek in to Chekov's life. It's tough being the youngest one in a group, especially in social situations.
albert12 chapter 5 . 6/8/2009
Another excellent and well written chapter.

I finally decided to watch the new Star Trek move. I was unable to continue watching it after about the first twenty minutes. It upset me greatly. What ever that mess was, it was NOT Star Trek. It might be passed off as Battlestar Galactica, or even Stargate- but NOT Trek.

One of the greatest things I enjoyed in Star Trek was the sleek, uncluttered lines of the ships- no fancy distractions. You can draw a reasonable rendition of one of the original ships in ten seconds, and have it be recognizable.

Give me an hour, and I still probably couldn't have drawn one of the new ships. They have weird, I suppose “modern” looking cluttered-up lines that are impossible to draw or follow.

Needless to say, I am highly upset by the mess they made out of my favorite television show.
Tolly chapter 5 . 6/8/2009
"Scotty, Chekov, scotch, vodka, and physics"

Oh my. That will be entertaining. *giggle* It was nice to see the two different times someone asked Chekov The Question, and his reaction to both. Very believable and deeply cute.
mhgood chapter 5 . 6/8/2009
"Things had gone well until they'd tested it on a Vulcan commander's teddy bear. Jack had failed to mention that it was alive and had six-inch fangs."

Oh, is this a reference to a sehlat? Cool!

"Quickly he erased some of his old calculations and discreetly rubbed away some of the minor equations Spock had been working on; he was going to need more space than usual for this one."

Hah-he erased Spock's work! Hilarious! I can just see them fighting for domination of the clearboard!

I like that ending, by the way. Very optimistic.
redwingsgirl514 chapter 4 . 6/8/2009
Yay, more! You are the best! Any Chekov updates are wonderful. :)
mhgood chapter 4 . 6/7/2009
Good chapter!

I'm pretty sure, though, that Spock was First Officer all along, since in TOS, he served aboard the Enterprise under Pike for several years before Kirk or anyone else comes along. In AOS, the general consesus is, he took a teaching posistion at the Academy while waiting for the Enterprise to finish getting fitted-he and Pike were already the command duo. I think the ease with which they work together at the beginning of the movie bears that out, too, plus, how smoothly Pike hands over command to Spock when he (Pike) shuttles over to the Narada.
albert12 chapter 4 . 6/6/2009
A very interesting chapter, and well written!

However, about the neutron star- The original Enterprise met a black hole almost head-on while at maximum warp, and was NOT knocked out of warp. Instead, it was accelerated through time and space, finally coming out in the atmosphere of Cold War era earth.

Since then, other ships have used warp speed close to stars, planets, and wormholes without suffering any adverse affect. As far as I know, the only thing that can stop a ship from warp speed is subspace fractures caused by a very large explosion.

However , in the long run, an interesting story is more important than being exactly precise about warp field interference. Keep going!