Reviews for The Breaking Strain
Icecat62 chapter 1 . 3/16
Well that was a turnabout. A good one too.
Miss Diagnosis chapter 1 . 10/6/2014
Beautiful story capturing the true regard Holmes has for his friend. Not as cold or as work-centric when it comes to his Boswell! Love that you led the reader to believe Holmes had damaged the friendship irreparably (&would like to see how he would have tried to fix it had it actually happened too). First of your stories I've read-glad your friend gave my friend the link to your stories.
Convenient Alias chapter 1 . 1/21/2014
So is Sherlock having visions about the potential future? Or are these just two different things that could possibly have happened?
Romanse chapter 1 . 12/19/2012
Oh that was genius, win-win writing! You got to indulge your angst muses in crafting what appears to be a "partner-betrayal" story, we readers get to suffer along with Watson's hurt and pain and then we all get to be happy in the end with such a clever revelation that Holmes' mind is seeing the "what if?" and not reality.

What a great way to show the strength of the frienship when Holmes knowingly chooses Watson over the potential winning of a case!
girl'lock holmes chapter 1 . 9/17/2012
Oh this was very interesting. Great idea, with the way it started and it end up being a vision of what could happen. Holmes then making the right decision in the end
forgetmenotjimmy chapter 1 . 5/16/2012
Great fic! Really emotive, loved the premonition and Holmes' reconsideration, nice one!

:D
CarsonandMrs.Hughes4ever chapter 1 . 12/26/2011
For a moment, I thought that argument actually happened. Good thing it didn't.
Marie Nomad chapter 1 . 11/11/2011
This is a fascinating story. I liked how that Holmes seemed to have a second chance in avoiding a mistake that could cost him his friendship.
Gyreflight chapter 1 . 2/19/2011
Now that’s a nice, neat little one-shot – with a twist and a knot at the end.

I think most people who like Watson would find it perfectly believable that he has lines across which he cannot be pushed, and far too credible that Holmes might not always recognise them for what they are.

Holmes *can* follow through human consequences sometimes, and it’s fascinating to see him work through the possible outcome, not through his own eyes, but through someone else’s. And of course, there can be very few ‘someone elses’, through whose eyes he would care to look. Hmm, that makes me think- no, Holmes wouldn’t be a method actor, would he? He’d know that he could create himself an actor’s mask purely though perfect observation, and wouldn’t be interested in a less logical process.

Here, he doesn’t have to /understand/ exactly, doesn’t have to give over his own worldview – but as long as he’s able to know Watson’s (or perhaps, simply know Watson well enough), he can use that knowledge as guide. It’s not exactly empathy – something more like borrowing someone else’s conscience for a while :-)

I liked that, thanks.

~Gyreflight
Frenchaccro chapter 1 . 1/9/2011
I like very much the way your story is built. When reading the first part, I really believed that Holmes had used Watson and all hope was over. It was as angsty and heart crushing as can be wished in a tragic story of lost friendship. Then I had the pleasant surprise and relief to see Holmes had just been imagining what could have happened if...He is perfectly abble to foresee such a thing!
nomdeplume30 chapter 1 . 11/26/2010
I am continually impressed by your writing. I love your characters and the situations you place them in. This choice that Holmes had to face was completely realistic and I was so relieved that he made the right choice. I was worried at first, slumping there on the stairs right next to Holmes thinking, "This can't be happening!"

Well done!
Spockologist chapter 1 . 11/3/2010
Love!

That was so well done! Watson is just my favorite and to imagine him leaving Holmes like that... ouch.

I'm glad they stayed buddies. :)

You had me worried.
Random Phantom chapter 1 . 3/12/2010
Oh... a psychic moment from Holmes, there? As a one-shot I really liked this - after reading the first part I was really worried something bad was going to happen, but you saved them. Really sweet at the end there. Very nice.
Isis the Sphinx chapter 1 . 3/10/2010
Whoa. Talk about POV switch. So that whole first bit was Holmes imagining what Watson would do. Very nicely written, for your first piece. Already showing your bada! Watson. *nodnod*

Keep writing!
PeanutTree chapter 1 . 1/13/2010
Ooh, I like it! You portrayed Holmes so well, with his calculations, that for a moment I thought he would keep going with his original plan.