Reviews for Those We Leave Behind
Very touching bit.
SaraiEsq chapter 1 . 9/29/2014
Very well done.
PolarLuv chapter 1 . 1/31/2013
That was so sad. But it was good.
kellyh59 chapter 1 . 3/1/2011
OK - you warned us and I read it anyway. Cried through the whole thing and am now all stuffy. Excellently written... but man I had character death pieces. And to survive the whole war and die on the way home :(
St PA chapter 1 . 12/25/2010
Merry Christmas. I stayed away from reading this story sooner because I had a misconception about what it encompassed; but am glad I finally did read it. You are so correct in mentioning the need for Kleenex. The thoughts and reactions of everyone are so accurate. It was difficult to realize that Col Hogan was dead and would not accompany his men home as planned after all those years of waiting for liberation. I personally feel that the medic on the truck didn't really do enough to try and save Col Hogan. I keep thinking that if Sgt Wilson were there, he would have done much more to try and save his commanding officer and friend. Successful or not, at least more effort would have been expended until there were no more options available [my opinion based on prior knowledge from other stories of how Sgt Wilson cares for his patients]. Thanks for this alternative ending. So glad it's not the official one.
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 1 . 11/9/2010
Okay, you made me cry, not just that Hogan died, but that so many POWs didn't make it home, when liberation was so near.
Sgt. Hakeswill chapter 1 . 3/10/2010
Oh, this was a tear-jerker! Again, you handled the shifting of scenes, perspectives, and chronology seamlessly. And I'm so glad you included the reactions of Klink and Schultz.

I'll be reading more of your stuff as time permits. I just discovered your stories last night.
Lady of Stormness Mountain chapter 1 . 6/5/2009
Wow. I think you definitely accomplished your original goal of powerful description. You were right about needing tissues. Movies have never made me cry, but this did. Good description...I guess I'll go hunt for my extra box of tissues. Sniff.
smithcrafter chapter 1 . 6/2/2009
Wow. Sad, but very good.
rutika78 chapter 1 . 6/1/2009
Snooky,

This was one of your best, even though Hogan didn't make it.
Guest chapter 1 . 6/1/2009
An excellent piece. Stark and as realistic as possible within this fictional realm. It speaks of the bonding that comes from adversity, and a depth of loss that most simply would not understand.

While all of the portrayals were beautifully done. For personal reasons my "favorite" is that of Sgt Wilson the camp medic. One could feel not only his grief at the loss of a friend. But also the combined doubt and to a degree guilt over losing a patient. Regardless of the fact that he did all he could. Or that more skilled personel with better resources could have done no better. He stills feels Hogan's death a personal failure. No one else would agree with him. But the author's stark portrayal of this very real phenomena is the best I've ever seen.

I thank the author for her efforts and look forward to reading more of her work.
Linda chapter 1 . 5/31/2009
Nicely done. Sad, but possible.

Thanks for sharing.
Atarah Derek chapter 1 . 5/31/2009
Well, I was doing fine up until Klink received that letter. Then I teared up. Darn you!
Bits And Pieces chapter 1 . 5/31/2009
A very poignant and heartfelt story. It would indeed have been an ironic twist of fate for Hogan to have passed on that way. I thought your description was very well done, and the emotions of Hogan's men, especially when they're recalling the first time they met Hogan, was extremely touching. I could see Klink reacting the way he did when he got the news; particularly when he found out what Hogan and his men had been doing in the camp the whole time; right underneath his nose.

I think this is a very powerful story; and you did a wonderful job telling it. Thank you for sharing it with us.
dart53 chapter 1 . 5/31/2009