Reviews for Tracking Monsters
Elfinabottle chapter 1 . 8/4/2014
Great story! I really like the idea of cave lions roaming around Middle
Earth. I always wondered if they didn't have some type of wild feline. Where
there are deer, there are usually predators and I'm sure wolves weren't the
only ones. Well, I'm not sure, but I do like the idea.

Angry Faramir was quite sexy!
Lady Ambreanna chapter 1 . 8/4/2014
A prince of elves showing proper respect to the king of beasts. A very nice
story! Thank you! ;)
PL chapter 1 . 8/4/2014
This was a very interesting ficlet. I must admit I never thought of lions and
Legolas on the same page, but after all, Tolkien does give us the Sindarin for
lion (which you used very effectively, I must say) so they must have been in
Middle-earth. Your description of the lions was wonderful â“ I could see them
so clearly. Legolas' response to them, and his care not to jump to
conclusions, and then to help them if he could was very much in character.
Lindale chapter 1 . 8/4/2014
And I wanted it to be a lynx.

I wouldn't say lions are monsters :P

Lindale
Fireblade's song chapter 1 . 6/1/2009
I never really thought too much about finding what kind of creatures we once knew would exist in Middle Earth. I love how you so often give me reason to pause and think about what could have been, and how LOTR is written as a history of our Earth, not completely as if it were a world other than our own. Keep up the wonderful story-telling!

Zypher
KyMahalei chapter 1 . 6/1/2009
I've seen the auroch (large cattle, also extinct) referred to in a couple of fanfiction stories Isabeau's Captain My Captain), and the Mellon Chronicals have some ordinary lions in one of the episodes, but this is the first reference to cave lions. I like the way that you constructed the story - it reads with that elusive flavor of slipping something new and yet really believable into the cannon. I also like the way you handled Legolas' character. Of course he would watch and sing. . . and also recognize the validity of a fellow warrior and hunter. Nice Job!

If your muse enjoyed working with cave lions, perhaps you should consider a story that includes another extinct animal, the irish elk. Here is a tidbit stolen from a Tracking Monsters site on the internet:

(The Irish Elk or Giant Deer, was the largest deer that ever lived. It lived in Eurasia, from Ireland to east of Lake Baikal, during the Late Pleistocene and early Holocene. The latest known remains of the species have been carbon dated to about 5,700 BC, or about 7,700 years ago. The Giant Deer is famous for its formidable size (about 2.1 meters or 7 feet tall at the shoulders), and in particular for having the largest antlers of any known cervid (a maximum of 3.65 meters/12 feet from tip to tip and weighing up to 90 pounds).

... it looks like a moose on harmones.
sazza-da-vampire chapter 1 . 6/1/2009
aw, your description of the cave lions is so sweet. Legolas's point of view is very different from a Man's, abd it is easy to see both from the way you have written the story. congratulations on a beautifully written piece, niri
Anearin chapter 1 . 5/31/2009
A nice little fic. I like the idea of Lions in middle earch, and of Legolas feeling a kinship with them, and sadly he is right about the humans. Hopefully he manages to keep them from harms way.

Anea