Reviews for Where Did All the Wheatfields Go?
kleinepfoetchen chapter 13 . 11/5/2011
Somehow I must have missed all the updates...I'm sorry about that! This is another great story, you should definitely write more! You're good with case fics, and adding some love in between. Or you could do episode oneshots. Whatever you do, I hope you'll write more soon. This was a great story and I especially like when Danny realises that all he wants is Lindsay and Lucy. I bet they have some sweet cuddle time in the cabin. ;)
lily moonlight chapter 13 . 12/21/2010
Well, I know what i'd like for the second half of this season... For the time being though, I'm sticking to fan fic and ignoring the show! However, i digress! Wow, it's been almost two years? gosh. That's almost as long as it's taken me to write Old West! Congratulations on finishing this though, it's always an achievement to complete a story. i enjoyed this chapter, especially the beginning with Kale and Hawkes, that was a really good way to end that secondary storyline which has added a lot of enjoyment to the story. The ending was especially funny with Sheldon's thoughts about Stella, Danny, lindsay and even Lucy! I giggled at that. I had to laugh too when Sheldon asks Kale 'How is it that you have a fiancee' XD

Nice contrast with the ending also. That was well done. you write Danny's perspective well; I like your DL much more than the show. I especially liked his thoughts on what makes a home. Well done :)
18lzytwner chapter 13 . 12/20/2010
Very well done and definitely worth the wait. ;)
afrozenheart412 chapter 13 . 12/20/2010
It was worth it, so much that I have cried with love and laughter on this last chapter. FREAKING LOVE that Kale saved Sheldon's life, not that I didn't enjoy his grousing and bad temper (Heehee), but it was very cool that he finally saw Kale for what he is. A good man who made the leap from lab tech to CSI, something Adam is trying to do, and something he himself succeeded at. I hope this puts at least most of the irritating stuff behind them...not all of it, that wouldn't be too much fun. I know I'm evil, but I would LOVE to see Kale come back. Please?

As for Danny and Lindsay, ah now all of this was romance. To know that they are going to have a day just to be them, in the wilds of her home, makes my heart flutter. :) Especially since its her dad making up for that night of poker. LOL, I still re-read that and snicker. Who could resist the last few paragraphs? Skyline vs wheat fields, they both have a special place in our hearts. Awesome job!

Favorite lines

"Kale had saved his life.

Of all people to owe, of all people to feel grudging respect for ...

Stella was going to owe him something big now. She had promised. And Danny. And Lindsay. Especially Danny and Lindsay.

He might even extract something from Lucy."
lily moonlight chapter 12 . 11/16/2010
Cute :D It's mean of me, but I did like the image of Danny rolling down the mountain with 'crazy girl'. And I do like the image of him waking up in hospital with Lindsay at his side :D First of all though I have to comment on the scene with Hawkes, Adam and Mac. Very funny! Poor Hawkes, I felt for the poor guy, especially with the little smile that Mac gives him! It was so plaintive at the end, how he thinks that Stella promised.

I loved the line about Lindsay's brothers would carry the story (nice pun) with them for the rest of his life, I liked how you used the words there. That's quite an image! And I am glad he's okay :)
csi-ncis chapter 12 . 11/16/2010
haha loved it, Danny is really going to hold on to that story, Lindsay's brothers won't ever leave it!
18lzytwner chapter 12 . 11/14/2010
Well I'm glad you added more to this. Not so nice for Danny. Ouchie. :)
afrozenheart412 chapter 12 . 11/14/2010
I adore you! Not only was the beginning with Sheldon being bright eyed and bushy tailed eager to start his day at the crime lab cool to see. But when Mac stuck him with Kale while Stella was investigating in Central Park (LMAO), I nearly fell off of my computer chair laughing with knowing that Mac is having fun with him. Because we all know that Mac has a devilish side to him too!

That and knowing that Danny will do anything and I mean anything to protect his Montana! Even sacrificing his pride in order to stop a knife welding psychotic killer! I really adore you for all of the love and laughter in here. This trip hasn't gone so well for DL has it? I love how they got to meet Lindsay's family but her brothers luring Danny into a poker game and now this, I hope that after they get back home they get to cuddle for a while.

No lines, everything is perfect in here!
rhymenocerous chapter 12 . 11/13/2010
Yay! Oh, I'm so glad you decided to rebel against the evil powers that be (and their total lack of support for DL over the past few episodes) and decided to give us all what we've been missing. Sometimes, not seeing what you want to see on the screen can be a good catalyst to help get you past a nasty case of writer's block. I'm a prime example of that, in fact I once based an entire story on what I wish would have happened, but of course never did. But enough about me...

This was AWESOME! So great. I was so confused at first, wondering what the hell had happened. Weren't they still on the mountain? And then you cruelly, cruelly teased us with the scene of poor Hawkes getting the shaft - yet again - and getting stuck with the awful Kale. Poor guy just can't seem to catch a break! But I guess I can't complain too much, because it's kind of fun to watch him squirm ;)

And then we're back in Montana and I was absolutely delighted with the way you got them (Danny in particular!) down off the mountain. Absolutely inspired, my friend. Wonderful job. Both tense and slightly scary, but also hilarious! The mental picture of Danny - the ultimate city boy - tripping and falling in the woods and inadvertently taking down the sister? Priceless. I can see Lindsay really is glad he's okay, but she's going to enjoy reminding him of his accidental heroics for years to come. As are her brothers!

Bravo!

Now, not to be too demanding, but... MORE!
23roses chapter 11 . 10/31/2010
my only complaint is that buck knives don't close or fold. they're big ass knives, and Lindsey would have sheathed it. Otherwise this has been an interesting story. I'm looking forward to the next chapter :)
lily moonlight chapter 11 . 10/20/2010
Hello again! Many thanks for the note :D That's really nice of you to mention. I'm glad it was helpful. LOVED the scene with Stella and Hawkes here! I've been in that slightly delirious stage of lack of sleep before :P I felt sorry for him, but also found it hilarious that he was rambling and staring at Montana XD Loved Stella's comment about the shoes and the kit, and then his retort about hiking :D Nice one! I can imagine that Kale would probably also wind Stella up too :p Small point maybe, but I also liked the little detail of realism of the power nap Stella's taken. Could do with one of those myself actually...

I loved indeed the very last lines of this chapter! Wonderfully creepy and atmospheric, it just suited the rather desolate landscape you've put them in. Nice way to resolve the cliffhanger from last chapter with something that was not what it seemed, but actually, they could be in just as much danger! Danger is good by the way :P Great line too about when they look at the hanging headless bodies (horrible image) and Mike looks down. Says a lot in just a few words. Very good! Update soon!
rhymenocerous chapter 11 . 10/19/2010
I love your little flashes back and forth between Montana and New York. It's great to see the parallel lines of the story as they happen!

(Oh, and grumpy Dr. Hawkes? Priceless! LOL.)

Now, back to the wilds of Montana... oh, holy crap you scared me! When it was Lindsay's brothers and the doctor... man, oh man! My heart was a thumping! And I did totally love the mental picture of Lindsay all rough and tough with her buck knife!

So you finally figured out how to get them down the mountain? Well... at least part of the way, because OH MY GOD!

After your little red herring in the clearing, I thought "wow. so... happy ending for everyone!" but no. Of course not!

All I can say is UPDATE SOON! This is fantastic!
18lzytwner chapter 11 . 10/19/2010
Dude! Once again, an awesome cliffy.
afrozenheart412 chapter 11 . 10/18/2010
LMAO! The beginning of this was PRICELESS! I have to say it is a pleasure to see Sheldon so out of whack with working with Kale and DL being gone. The way he complained about how he would rather be on the 'big, gigantic Central Park vacation' sent me over the moon laughing. He sounded so much like a little kid, that it warms my heart. :) I wonder if Stella gets along with Kale? I hope so, and the mention of the shoes that would require with the hiking. LOL, only our Stella. :D

Whew! I was hoping it was her brothers rustling through the tall grass. It is sad that the case went sideways on her but they only had that evidence to work with, how could she and Dr. Fairhorn could have known? LOVED the brother/sister banter, yeah she may be small but she definitely is scrappy! I adored her teasing Danny and how he stepped in front of her to protect her, I wonder if her brothers saw that. :D But the ending...wow was that a shocker. You now have me screaming politely for an update. I hope everyone is alright and they can bring this to a close peacefully. Was the brother also involved? Thank you too, Lily, for mentioning the buck knife. :)

Favorite lines

"Headed out?" she asked, since his shift had been over for nearly 30 minutes.

"Yeah," he said, not taking his eyes off the screen.

She looked, surprised to see the pictures of snow capped mountains taking up his screen. "What are you doing?"

"What?" distracted, he glanced back at her, his eyes a little wild from fatigue.

"Hawkes," Stella walked around the desk and flipped the screen off. "Why are you still here looking at—"

"Montana," he said flatly. "And not Danny's Montana. There is no way they're working there. No buildings, no trash to dig through lining the city streets. Its like one big, gigantic central park vacation. I like working the Central Park crime scenes."

"With mountains," Stella reminded him, trying to hold back the smile. "They're big, and it would be murder to track up them with a kit. Plus, think of the kind of shoes you'd have to wear."

"And that is called hiking. Hiking is what people do to relax and have fun. Hiking is not what people do when they're working," when she lifted a brow, he shrugged. "Just saying."

With a laugh, Stella walked over and took his coat from the hook. "You need to go home," she didn't try to hide the laughter in her voice. "Turning your hatred of Kale into a hatred of the state of Montana isn't going to bring them back any sooner. And that—" she said as she handed him his coat, "is the only thing that's going to send him back to his team."

"No—but having those pictures in my head when I implement Operation payback for Kale duty, I won't back off or feel sorry for them," he pointed at the now blank screen, "as far as I'm concerned, they left me here with him and went on vacation."

"Which they haven't had yet together as a family."

Hawkes shot her a look. "Don't side with them. You haven't had to work with Kale either, now that I think about it."

"I tell you what," she slid an arm around him as they walked out the door together. "Tomorrow we'll move things around. I'll be on Kale duty for a little while."

"You—" whatever he had been about to say cut off as he simply relaxed into an almost goofy state of relief. "That's much better."

"Mike took one look at Danny. "Surprised to see us?" he asked dryly.

"Take a look—" Lindsay motioned to the hanging, headless bodies with her eyes. The others looked, Mike looked down.

"And what were you going to do with that?"

Danny turned, saw Lindsay with her buck knife clenched in her hand.

"Its better than my hands."

"Better would be to take off in the other direction."

"Down the side of a mountain?" Lindsay asked, her grip shifting on the handle.

"Someone's going to come at you who may have done all this crazy stuff and you think you can defend yourself with that knife? You'd be disarmed in a few seconds."

"I'd like to see you try."

Danny held out a hand, but it wasn't necessarily to protect his wife.

"Mike—I hate to step in, but I have to do it," it was Jeff who had stepped out, interrupting the exchange. "You remember what happened last time."

He spared a glance—none to friendly—at Lindsay. "It was a cheap shot. I've been practicing."

"Don't forget she knows your weaknesses, just because she's small she's a scrapper."

Lindsay rolled her eyes at Jeff, but closed the blade of her buck knife. "I'm not that small."

Jeff held up his hands. "Not to me, no. It's Mike's mind I'm getting into. You ah—want to explain that?"

"Just as long as we're not invited to spend the night up there."

"As fun as that might be ..." Lindsay stopped and looked up at him. "Actually, it sounds like one of the movies you like so much. Maybe I should go volunteer our services ..."

She actually started to head back up the mountain. Danny reached out, in slight panic, and grabbed her hand. When she looked back, he shook his head. "No–no way. Not even funny."

She turned back, stepped in to him, those impish dimples evidence of her thoughts. "You sure about that? You don't want a night out under the stars with me?"

"What stars? Those trees are in the way."

"Oh, you'll see stars," she slid her hands up and around his neck. "I guarantee it."

He took a step back. Had he almost just given in? He shook himself, refused to be side tracked lest she trick him and lead him back up the mountain. "And dead bodies. Headless dead bodies."

Lindsay laughed, "Does kind of take the romance out of it."
hannqhn chapter 10 . 10/16/2010