Reviews for Unexpected
302pilot chapter 1 . 6/14/2009
You really nailed Mark's attitude in this one-spot on, smart and snarky. but the thing that made me smile (among lots of other things) was the bit of forshadowing for Chrystal Duck: “I’d be careful who you’re calling a donkey, kid. Might come back to haunt you someday.”

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing-

CB
Lizabeth S. Tucker chapter 1 . 6/8/2009
I could so see this scene happening! "When Nancy had tried to throw him a surprise party for his fortieth birthday, he’d walked into the darkened room and instinctively drawn his weapon at the shouts of greeting, causing poor Aunt May to go into immediate heart palpitations."

I've always wondered where Mark stashed that small black leather case of lock picks while he was in the joint and on parole. As a parolee, he would be subject to sudden and unannounced searches at the instigation of his parole officer. So where was it?

Heaven knows, Milt was beset with more and more surprises during his relationship with Mark, almost all of them good.

Thank you for a wonderful story.
cheride chapter 1 . 6/2/2009
Here's the deal: I've had kind of a long day and decided I was going to treat myself to just one story before going to bed. I can't tell you how thrilled I am that yours is the one I chose.

This is a wonderful look at the potential backlash from the events of the ep, and I'm glad that you took it on. Both characters are very much *in* character as they go about their business, but Mark and his spot-on quips and attitude is just the best. ("Play basketball, yes. Shut up, not a chance.” GREAT!) And I love that HC is thoughtful and introspective, and will at least admit to himself that surprises might not be all bad. And I LOVE the final line.

All in all, this is the perfect nightcap, and I thank you for serving it up.
Georgi1961 chapter 1 . 6/2/2009
"When Nancy had tried to throw him a surprise party for his fortieth birthday, he’d walked into the darkened room and instinctively drawn his weapon at the shouts of greeting..." Thank you for providing me with a visual that will remain with me forever! This was classic-and knowing this, we should all be glad the Judge didn't shoot Mark when he surprised him in a darkened garage on that fateful night!

Well, what can I say? Great as always-and such a nice mix of humor and sensitivity. The Judge's reaction to Mark asking about the keys-and the acknowledgement that Mark just seemed to know what was out of bound.

Yeah. That's them. More to add to my increasing 'canon'. Don't you just love these guys more and more each day?

THANKS for the wonderful story :-)
L.M.Lewis chapter 1 . 6/1/2009
You aced the characterizations-as always-and also managed to craft a fresh view of a much-discussed pair of situations. I love your use of the Hardcastle POV. Every grumble and regret rings true.

But I think my favorite bit (among so many) is the judge's unguarded reaction to a simple request for a set of keys. Nicely understated and very poignant.

Oh, and those final two words-perfect!
JeanneZ84 chapter 1 . 6/1/2009
I loved excelently done.

I could hear them and picture them very clearly.

Yes even though Hardcastle doesn't like surprises he knows for sure now that he had better get used to at least some suprises,because you just never know what his lateest ex con in residence was gonna be up to or say or do next.

Milt was beginning to really like this ex con and even though he had a smart mouth the judge was sure happy to have him around.

Just an excelent story.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

JeanneZ84
lwalkerritzcom.net chapter 1 . 6/1/2009
Another spot-on story from one of my favorite writers! You've got the guys nailed - dialogue, actions, thoughts, motives, the whole she-bang. And the insights in the this piece are both thought-provoking and totally believable. You make it so easy to picture everything as we read, and I loved the way you rounded the story off at the end. You've truly got the gift!