Reviews for A Story of Hallows and Horcruxes
kazers chapter 6 . 9/23/2012
great chapter looking forward to future updates
ClaMiAl chapter 6 . 9/13/2012
I really, really enjoyed this story! There were some minor spelling mistakes, mostly missing or extra letters that turned a word into another word that just sound similarly. And sometimes the language you used seemed a bit...flowery, perhaps. Like the duel in the hospital wing. I don't quite remember the exact words, but there were some weird ways of saying that Harry hit/was flung against/crashed into/etc a wall. There were also expression like 'Harry was lying horizontally on the ground.' My immediate thought was, 'as opposed to lying vertically?' With the horizontally bit it just sounded weird. At one point, I think, you called Harry a parseltongue (the language) instead of a parselmouth.

Ha, and then I thought you had made a mistake in letting Harry include the condition that he wouldn't harm Rudolphus in the unbreakable wow. But as I found out later, that was intentional and quite ingenious. Nicely done! However, Harry did make some mistakes before, and things don't always work out perfectly for him. I like that! Nothing is more boring than a fic where you know beforehand that everything is going to be alright and work out exactly as intended. Here, there's excitement and suspense, and I never know what might happen or go wrong next.

I also enjoyed reading about the magic, seeing Harry use all those spells and just using magic other than those basic standard spells wizards learn in their first couple of years at Hogwarts. With him knowing all these spells and magic, it is much more believable that he can survive a confrontation with a Death Eater. That actually makes your Death Eaters look much more capable and dangerous than in many other fics and perhaps even in canon. If all Harry and friends use are expelliarmus, stupefy & Co, then the fact that the supposedly scary Death Eaters can't defeat them just makes the Death Eaters look pathetic. The way you handled all this is much better and makes for a better fic.

So, I look forward to the next chapter and can't wait to see what (mis)adventures Harry goes on next.
AJ Granger chapter 6 . 9/8/2012
This was quite an ingenious break in you planned. It's hard to believe Harry suffered so much damage in the last chapter, and was still successful. I am enjoying this story of him working by himself to overcome the obstacles.
Flight of Death chapter 6 . 8/11/2012
Although it was much delayed, it was a great chapter. Next time update a bit earlier..will you?
Jimbocous chapter 6 . 7/23/2012
Great story so far, nicely done. The whole thing with Ron and Hr at the beginning is so believable; neither one ever really grew up. Wonder what they'll think when they find out that Harry was at Hogwarts and didn't rescue Ginny? Not like he could have, of course, but then that type of anger isn't rational.
Looking forward to more, as life permits. In the meantime, time to check out your others. Thanks for a great read so far!
AlsoKnownAsMatt chapter 6 . 7/1/2012
I've caught up this story and like what you've done, though I would encourage you to find a beta as some of your grammar is not as well set as it could be.
I do like how you're moving the story forward and although I think you've followed JKR's foolishness in making Harry unwilling to use lethal force early in a fight(which leads to undue injury on his part), you've set up reasonable pressures and responses given the conditions you've set.
Where is Narcissa?
Definitely looking forward to more of this story. Thanks so much for your obvious thought and effort on it.
MarwanaRegis chapter 6 . 6/17/2012
Love the story
MrRobertsIII chapter 6 . 6/4/2012
Excellent. Looking forward to the next. I didn't see his trapping the wand coming.
MrRobertsIII chapter 3 . 6/4/2012
love the action
MrRobertsIII chapter 2 . 6/4/2012
Fun, action-packed chapter! Thanks
Lord Cartwright chapter 6 . 5/30/2012
I am enjoying your story very much and can not wait for an update, just one question how and when is Narcissa going to make her debut and how will the pair end up together?
jmsdragn chapter 6 . 5/26/2012
well that was a neat read i look forward to reading what else may happen
Captain Shoulah chapter 5 . 5/11/2012
"Rudolphus" is incorrect. There is no "Rudolphus" in Harry Potter.

Bellatrix's husband is named "Rodolphus Lestrange".

Reading the books will tell you this.

Reading the HP Lexicon will tell you this.

Even trying to search for "Rudolphus Lestrange" on Google will lead to the search engine giving you the correct "Rodolphus Lestrange" instead.

A good rule for writing HP fan fiction: Never ASSUME you know the correct spelling of things like people, creatures, spells, potions, and so on. Look it up in a reputable source, like the books themselves, or the HP Lexicon.

"Much better than what you have feeding me the past few days, Potter,"

Oops, you dropped the "been" that should have come before "feeding".

"Rudolphus in turn bared his teeth and blew out his nostrils angrily but didn't make another comment."

"blew out his nostrils" makes it sound like a painful injury just occurred. A less awkward phrasing would be: "Rodolphus, in turn, bared his teeth and exhaled angrily through his nostrils, but did not make another comment."

Oh, you'll note that I changed "didn't" to "did not"; some people are more strict about this than others, but you should try to avoid using contractions outside of dialog.
Captain Shoulah chapter 4 . 5/11/2012
Tittering nervous or restrained giggling.

The word you're actually looking for is "Tottering", meaning unsteady or unstable movement. You make the titter/totter mistake once in chapter 3, and once in chapter 4.

"I'll but after I've Obliviated the Horcrux's knowledge from your mind. Can't have you spilling your guts to the Order now, can I?"

Don't end a clause or a sentence with a subject-verb contraction, like "I'll". Obviously, this also applies to sentences where that would be the only word, because if asked, "Are you hungry?" no one would reply, "I'm.", they would reply, "I am."

In the sentence I quoted from your story, "I'LL" is the last word of a clause, and should be "I WILL".

I find myself wondering, just out of curiosity, if English is your native language since, generally speaking, this is something a native speaker would never do. It sounds very strange to the ears of someone who has grown up hearing English, so they don't generally make the mistake.

Other subject-verb contractions would be things like:

You'll, She'd, We've, I'm, They're, and so on. Basically, if it's a noun or pronoun with a contracted verb slapped on the end, you probably shouldn't be ending clauses and sentences with them. Ever.
almanera chapter 6 . 5/5/2012
I'm so glad that you've finally updated. It's great to see Harry cope by himself. Ron and Hermione were great, but at times too dominating - up to the point where they threatened to take over the plot. Hermione especially. I understand that she had a lot of insecurities and being insufferable know-it-all was almost the only way to show that she's just as capable a witch as the rest of them, although it's again arguable - there were so many other Half-bloods and they didn't turn on their friends if they did better. Yet, really, I'm not flaming either Ron or Hermione here; they both were great but had their flaws. Alas, Ron's stupidity and laziness served as a humorous relief most of the times. Again, I repeat: it's great to see Harry cope by himself, thank you for that.

Then the Death Eaters - thank you for fleshing them out the way you do. I definitely enjoyed the chapters about Rudolphus. I guess it truly is a Slytherin territory and all the bargains are bound to be sneaky. The simplest example of a request "leave me alone" will soon show that one might find themselves harassed again because the "agreement" didn't include the time limit of "being left alone". You nailed this kind of attitude as shown by the interactions with Lestrange.

I'm only left to wonder how Narcissa comes into play. Should Harry get captured and delivered to Malfoy Manor I would guess it's Luna that'll be his partner in crime. Unlike Ron and Hermione, she's not overbearing and not threatening to overtake the plot. She's not a regular damsel in distress; she has the same kind of defiance about her as Harry does and that truly makes those two soul mates in a way - I'm speaking of necessarily a romantic relationship - simply the fact that Harry is a person with whom a lot of unusual stuff happens and Luna is the kind of person who is ready accept the most unusual stuff without any hesitation.

Bella hasn't made an appearance either; she's a villain with fabulous gusto.

Well, all in all, my compliments to you. Please update soon.
202 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »