Reviews for A Man of Honor
huangjj chapter 1 . 8/11/2014
Well written, engrossing story. River and Jayne's dynamic was fascinating and while reading I felt a sense of loss when she slipped back into the confusion. The ending was a bit haunting that way, too. Glad to see this is the first in a series!
Guest chapter 1 . 8/10/2014
Fabulous
from da chapter 1 . 12/24/2013
This is the first story of yours that I have read and I thought that given your prolog/ writers into that I should at least be part of the 1% who drop a line. Great story, unexpected direction of plot matched with well crafted writing. A pleasure to read. Sad , but realalistic ending. Jane ws writen as having more brains and caring than most authors give the character credit. As time allows, I will read more of your firefly stuff and see if anything else interests me - outside the terminator series I don't know the rest. Thanks for a great night - DA
kostigan chapter 1 . 9/30/2013
You added a new depth to the characters and it fits perfectly.
Margo Vizzini-Montoya chapter 1 . 7/20/2013
That was adorable and sweet, but yet deep. Nice.
hotforteacher3 chapter 1 . 3/14/2013
D'awwwww! Write sommore!
Dorante243 chapter 1 . 1/8/2013
once, in a comment about rayne, some appalled person said that people manipulate Jayne's background and bearing so that he is more of a sympathetic character because we, the readers, love jayne and cant accept him as a man who cares for naught be girls and money, which is his character. The truth is i agree with this statement. I also think it takes all the fun outta reading about jayne, i like him all kinds of sentimental. I really like what you've done with your characters, even if i think your stepping outta cannon. i like the past you've made between kay-kay and Bear and the future of simon and kaylee waking up naked :p good job, it was a pleasure to read!
Piratefish chapter 1 . 9/9/2012
Damn if this isn't EXACTLY what a Firefly-fic should be. I don't know if I've got any higher praise. Please, just keep writing.
ebfiddler chapter 1 . 4/11/2012
Just read this fic, and enjoyed very much. I like especially the way you've drawn the characters, each firmly founded on canon materials, yet you've explored further and given them some depth. Although I could have wished for more Inara and Book, and would have liked much more of Mal, what you wrote about them was good. I liked the backstory for Wash, and his scene with Jayne on the bridge was both funny and deep. Would have liked to see more of Zoe, as well, but she got to deliver some real gems of lines, and we got to see her from Wash's POV. You did a good job with Jayne and Kaylee's backstory, and the final scene with Simon and Jayne was especially funny. I really liked your exploration of Simon's character, especially when you pointed out his ruthless side. The story about how he acquired the medicines from Badger was a good one. I liked your rendering of River in both lucid and less lucid states; both were well done. And I especially appreciate how you gave depth to Jayne, right from your introductory paragraphs pointing out how, though he might have simple tastes, that doesn't make him a simple man. This Jayne-focused story did a good job exploring Jayne's character and motivations. Nice job incorporating canon moments, especially the events of Ariel. I wish this story had been divided into chapters, simply because one review doesn't give one adequate scope to comment on a 17,000 word story. I'm looking forward to reading your other fics.
daydreambuff chapter 1 . 3/19/2012
I'm sure you've figured out one way or another that this is a very good story. So I won't harp on that.

What I like most about it is characterization. It takes a lot to make me appreciate the lessoning of an antihero or villains negative attributes but you've done Jayne quite well.

I adore Wash's backstory. I love it. You gave him so much more than funny lines and disarming likeability.

It's nice to see half the crew not freaking out about a potential RIver/Jayne dalliance.

I look forward to reading the sequels.
Person Of A Strange Origin chapter 1 . 2/15/2012
I really hope this has a sequel (worried look). This was REALLY good and I loved it a lot! :)
Rickit42 chapter 1 . 1/19/2012
Your Jayne is a bit too eager to discuss his personal problems with the rest of the crew. For a while there he reminded me of an RPG hero doing the "talk to everyone in town to see if they got any quests or hints"... Was a bit of an adjustment to your take on the character.

Other then that, this was a great beginning. I liked your 'sane' River and the background details you fleshed out for the characters via her abilities.
Ataea chapter 1 . 12/12/2011
Although I have a rather irrational dislike of the Jayne/River ship, you did an excellent job in presenting a realistic and strangely likeable portrayal of how a relationship between them could begin. The buildup is subtle, in spite of the rather forward introduction, and the feelings are hints and vague spirals, rather than the blunt hammers that tend to colour a lot of the River/Jayne fics out there. I love your buildup, I love how believable this story is, and I certainly love the beautiful plotline underlying this relationship.

If there's something I hate out there, it's plotless fluff. Fluff and sweetness are only good if there is substance in the story, as there is here. I truly enjoyed reading this story, in spite of my dislike of the ship, because it was both original, touching, and subtly beautiful. There are no fireworks of passion or bold strokes of romance here, but rather, a realistic undertone of emotion that may or may not be love. Isn't that what life is like? Rarely as clear cut as the stories make it out to be. And your story did an excellent job of imitating the confusion that may or may not be love, when one least expects it.

Thank you for a beautiful gift.
Tomas the Betrayer chapter 1 . 12/2/2011
To be honest, I only watched a handful of episodes for this series. The guy playing the captain irked Tomas... a LOT. Always acting like he was in control, it was a real pleasure watching Early cold-cock him senseless right off the bat.

But I liked Jayne, and the one where he sold River was included in the few I caught. Which is why we can appreciate what you've done here, scarredman. The beginning was sweet; which one of us wouldn't secretly delight to wake up and find dear River snuggled close? The panic only starts afterwards. You have quite a propensity to go for lines that are memorable. It can be burdensome, yes? But the one from the Companion stuck with me, about shepherds, lambs, and wolves. That was excellent, kudos to you!

What to do when you have only an unspecified amount of sanity to yourself? That's a fine question to build a story off of. Some might think River wasted her opportunity, but I feel an understated conference like this can lead to a future far better than any roll in the hay. Hope springs up in the strangest of places. However, it's good you didn't make this a miracle cure out of nowhere. Who wants to read about that? Uncertainty is a part of medicine, after all.

We've said enough, except to congratulate you on your obvious appreciation for this series. If it weren't for all the Chinese words, I might have watched it. They just tried to be too hip and shot themselves in the foot. Oh, well. Pleasant dreams.
Just me chapter 1 . 8/13/2011
Gotta say this is probably one of the best written oneshots on this site! Thanks for the entertainment, cheers.
60 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »