Reviews for Bitter Freedoms
TheDarkMan19 chapter 31 . 9/30
you have a very bad habit of using the word male instead of man. It makes a lot of sentences sound awkward. the story itself is good. but grammar and sentence structure need work. There's a lot of superfluous descriptors and a few words that just don't fit the way you use them.
This story is honestly amazing; I first read it back in 2013, but it's had such an effect on me that I still remember it now, after three years (which is more than I can say for plenty of published books I have read.)
There's something immediately captivating about how the author can stay true to the characters we know and love whilst still making them her own, like Sweeney, who we are used to seeing as a cannibalistic murderer, being a convincingly doting father with wants, needs and demons of his own.
The OCs in this were amazing-John, Peter-it's seldom that I find OCs very interesting in fanfictions but they are so perfectly tied to the narrative that it's difficult not to love them just as much, if not more than the mains.
The fic was wonderfully well-written, it's story and detail so strong that it makes me wonder if the writer was just using the world of Sweeney Todd as a template for a universe of her own; it wouldn't surprise me if she did, it's so well done, but even then it never feels out of place or forced. Whoever wrote this has a real drive an passion for storytelling and takes her writing seriously... It's honest to god the best thing I've read on this site, so full of emotion, excitement and cruelty, all set on a rich historical backdrop (which was wonderfully researched, may I add,) and weaving such dark elements effortlessly into the storyline; if a character dies, they stay dead; if a character is moved, that stay moved; its a beautiful cycle of cause and effect- nothing is looked over, nothing is forgotten, the events of this story take their gruelling toll on every single one of these characters and it's brilliant. I could go on about how wonderful this story makes me feel all day, but I'd better stop now. Take my word for it. It's brilliant.
I am astounded, truly I am. Although I am horrified by the extent of human suffering in this, I recognize that to candycoat what you have written would be unrealistic, and so I thank you for maintaining reality. The one complaint is have is your spelling: what you spell as "fowl" should be "foul" (unless of course you frequently refer to birds as adjectives), and you tend to mix up "your" and "you're". Fortunately, these mistakes do not render your work incomprehensible by any stretch of the imagination. Again, excellent work.
I think this story is wonderful. Horrific, as befits a Sweeney spin-off, but fantastic. I am completely addicted.
victorious1314 chapter 1 . 8/29/2015
I know it's been years since you've updated, I know you'll probably never read this, but I need you to know that this is the best fan fiction I have ever read. I write and read often and never have I ever read something this amazing on this website. It took me days to finish this story and am incredibly impressed with your writing skills. This story made me laugh, made me cry, and cause a hurricane of emotions within me. I'm not going to plead with you to update because others have tried in vain before this review, I just need you to know that you have my outmost respect. From a fellow writer to another, thank you for writing this amazing story.
villettegoddess chapter 23 . 6/4/2015
This is very compelling so far. Much of my time has been spent angsting over the misfortunes the Barkers experience in canon, so of course this is the fic for me. The amount of detail is impressive. I am RELIEVED that Anthony (the bae) finally showed up!
kaaterina petrova chapter 50 . 6/14/2014
It took me a couple of hours-hours that I could've spent revising for my oh-so-serious exam on Monday-to read this but I REGRET NOTHING!

Okay, on a more serious note.

This story was beautiful. You managed to capture all of the characters extremely well-Sweeney's character, especially; I simply adore how you had the whole "be a father" thing pushing at him-and also, instead of revenge, you had survival? That was a stroke of pure genius, in my opinion. I love how all the characters weren't one-sided; you made sure every character had some good and bad in them. For example, the Beadle was feeling guilt over everything that had happened, almost enough to push him to the brink of madness and the Judge recoiling after Johanna mistook him for her father was absolutely amazing.

The only thing I'd have to say to improve would be to use less flowery, technical language, you know? Go simple otherwise people lose interest. In my case, I sorta skimmed through the bigger paragraphs and got to the bits with less in them so I'd still have some idea of what was going on. Also, the same could be said for the speech-while it takes a little getting used to, you should also try making it simpler. Usually, people don't say, "gain closure," or "intend on inviting him to dinner"-while amusing, they normally go for easier things to say like "close the door on that one, would yeh?" or "No, mate, I want to take him to a dinner party-of course, I want to drop the rotter in the Thames!" My examples aren't that good...

I also love the father-daughter interaction between the two-I'm a sucker for family-love things, you see. The chapters you had them apart tore at my soul-so did the movie, come to think of it. Yes, the bit where Sweeney sang, "And I'll never see Johanna-no, I'll never hug my girl to me!" always has me tearing up but I'm glad you let them be happy together in the end.

Anyway, I also want to add how I've been chuckling through this last chapter. John has always been a very dear character; I'm glad you kept him alive and as they casually roll the dead Judge through the dirty streets of Victorian London, making sure to bump and crash him into any obstacles-the Constable bit was especially amusing-, before deciding to just throw him into the River Thames-, you made me laugh.

This is a very long review-probably to make up for the lack of reviews for your chapters. Your story is charming and now I am off to eat (you made me discard food) and revise (you made me discard my exams).

Also-quick question: from one writer to another (well, technically, I'm a wannabe writer because I'm not that good), how do you plan out your stories? I've been asking around and checking on the Internet, but I just need to see a way people usually push out their stories.

Right. And that's the end of the review. I hope the length of this didn't put you off...

:D
Anon chapter 50 . 7/4/2013
Please, I beg of you, finish this story. One final chapter to give us closure! You probably won't even see this, but if you are reading this I want you to know that this is an amazing fic. It's truly a joy to find a Sweeney Todd fic this fantastic. There were many parts that I just cried at. Even though it's been ages since you updated, I still have faith you will return with the final chapter someday.
Redejeka chapter 50 . 3/8/2013
Woah! Woah! Woah! You have to put the last chapter up. Plsss... Haha...

This story's amazing! Brilliant! :))
julia.rosey8839 chapter 50 . 11/10/2012
Oh my god! this story is fantastic! and it has a happy ending. i swear i nearly cried when he became sweeney todd and the storyline started repeating itself, but then all through it there was a tiny bit of hope that things would turn out right as they knew each other... and it did! thank you so much!
JiffyFrose chapter 50 . 9/1/2012
I 3 your story! 3 3 3! I hope you will write more Johanna and Sweeney father/daughter fics. You're really good at it :)
Vi-Violence chapter 50 . 6/9/2012
This is a truly amazing piece of work, 50 chapters! Amazing, please finish it, it seems wrong to leave this marked incomplete, oh, and I saw one typo in this chapter, when Sweeney wasn't wearing a shirt, you said bear chest, and I'm pretty sure you meant bare chest.
ENERGY chapter 49 . 4/5/2012
Oh you pulled it off Moonlit! What a chapter! Wow has little Johanna come a long way. I love how she laughed at Turpin down there and tried to assist in positioning the blade. What a story! I love it! can't wait to read 50! I hope you are going to write another story. I guarantee you that I will be reading it. So let us fans know what your next story is! Thanks for the entertainment...i almost forgot how mesmerizing and captivating your writing is... ENERGY
Solve violence with more chapter 50 . 1/14/2012
Aww where's the next chapter? Thank you for the awesome story so far, hope you finish it. Made me feel so many different emotions.
Solve violence with more chapter 36 . 1/14/2012
I hate you so much right now. If this has no happy ending I'm writing a coldblooded torture Fic where everyone in the the time period dies at the hands of the ghost of Sweeny Todd.