Reviews for And in the Bottom of the Box
Ranger-Nova chapter 1 . 9/20/2012
Interesting story, and I think you've summed up nicely why the two universes shouldn't be compared to each other.

I really enjoyed this, and it gave me a few new things to think about.
Don't Trust the Snake chapter 1 . 8/3/2010
Huh. I can tell that this is amazing. That much I can tell. And incredibly deep. And also incredibly well-written. And... generally awe-inducing, shall I say. To the point that it almost made me shake. But I feel that to fully appreciate it, I will have to consider it in depth... Well done, very well done.
Turtle Kid the Woolgatherer chapter 1 . 10/13/2009
I don't know enough about Star Trek to give a good review (At least, not this Star Trek. . . . I have seen the movie, but the show I've only seen a few episodes of up until Captain Janeway, and even that was years ago). But from what I know, it's good. I like how it's (kind of) happy in the end. Uplifting.
Terrifica Oneiroi chapter 1 . 9/1/2009
You're right, this is depressingly philosophical, but completely worth it. I'm sure the saying "darkest before the dawn" had to come up at least once in his mind, but who knows if the concept is completely understood. In a strange way, it reminds me of the Mirror Universe in TOS. They (the crew) must have had some impact on the others who were more "savage" than them. The Kirk that landed on the gentler Enterprise must have noticed the difference immediately in the open and honest faces of the crew. When he went back, did he change things because of that? The ending of this fic makes me wonder. Could that crew do even greater things after facing the horrors they'd seen? If you choose to make sacrifices in a world that is hard, demanding, and generally just mean, do they mean more? What of Spock Prime, then, who has seen them both? What part will he play in the universe he finds himself a part of? It is very, very interesting. Some people were determined to hate the new prequel on principal alone, but I was definitely impressed. I hope they're planning on continuing. Two thumbs up on a wonderful fic, even with the gratuitous amounts of philisophical wandering. ;) -Terri
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 8/7/2009
Ah! Very well done. I like the implication that Spock and his father _really_ reconciled in this broken version of the world, and here he _does_ dare to love Nyota.

In a strange, awful way Vulcan's death has granted him his freedom.
Starshinedown chapter 1 . 7/13/2009
I rather like crawling into Spock's head for this philosophical consideration. I think you've done an admirable job of exploring how he might be considering the situation he's found himself in.
BLloyd chapter 1 . 6/15/2009
Beautiful! Perhaps the only criticism I can offer is that you refer to this piece as "depressingly philosophical". It is certainly philosophical, but in the end, Spock's musings exude optimism. I love his journey to that conclusion from a point where he could have easily become mired in the negative (his realization that he lives in the 'flawed' timeline, and everything he's lost). I particularly like the "broken mirror held up to the truth...", "the universe does not stop for grief...", as well as the last line. This is a philosophy from which we could all benefit. Thanks for writing this!
The Sad Lion chapter 1 . 6/8/2009
Spock has some things that Prime Spock has never, and will never have. Yet the good he finds in his world doesn't ease the pain of losing his mother and his homeworld.

I love the balance between the two worlds. Give and take, no compromise, and in fact no world is better than another.

Yet Spock is given the opportunity to love; his father and Nyota. This was very well shown in the story.

Your style is elegant and simple; gives it a hauntingly beautiful flavour. Thanks! D

~ The Sad Lion
Theodosia chapter 1 . 6/6/2009
Oh, I really like this- Spock's unflinching look at the horrors of his universe, tempered with the knowledge that no universe is perfect. And I love the hope and sense of anticipation the ending has. I presume the title's a reference to Pandora's box? It's very cleverly done, and really fits the story, I think.
Bacca chapter 1 . 6/5/2009
Well done-from ashes to beauty, that's the human spirit
AtanaM chapter 1 . 6/5/2009
This was VERY good. I really liked the comparison that for everything lost (Vulcan, his mother) something was gained (a good relationship with his father, love of Nyota) and how even when time itself is rent apart... fate keeps some things the same (the Enterprise and its crew).

And in the end, the past lays still and time goes on and we go on with it, richer for all the experiences we've had. Good or bad. I'm glad Spock Prime was able to make peace with all that.

You showed it very well. Thanks
damsel-in-stress chapter 1 . 6/4/2009
Wow. That was deep. Beautifully written and although philosophical very poetic.

The ending was wonderful. "This world is an error. But the universe does not stop for grief. Life continues despite death, and in time even the greatest tragedy is transmuted into truth, into art, into a light that reminds the future not to repeat the past."

I don't quite no what to say to this story. The musings were so insightful and very IC for Spock. It just *worked*.

Thanks for sharing.