Reviews for The Problem with Kurama
Kayla S chapter 1 . 4/12/2015
I like sometimes if an author actually explores a certain trait of Kurama's and exaggerates it...Sometimes I know the trait isn't the case, but I still find it interesting to think...what if?

Basically, I have read fiction of Hiei X Kurama where Kurama is really conniving and ,while he cares about the group, he doesn't care as much as he lets on...plus he's willing to expend them and it's said that it's possible he fakes an amount of his emotions. I don't think this is the case, as I think Kurama is more reformed than that, but it's interesting to think that maybe Kurama hasn't adjusted AS much as he thinks he has, but rather is going through motions to fit in.
RunaRina chapter 1 . 11/18/2014
i really like kurama and him being paired up to some cross over character is nice thinking they both have their original personalities intact..a little of editing when making an AU can be good too at times considering the writer's thought to through and not just 'oh i like them to do this scene so we'll have kurama be nearly raped by karasu or something' thingy.. just NO! what the hell are you making? first of all in my opinion karasu doesn't have that kind of attraction towards kurama..he likes kurama yes and is kind of a sadist about it but he doesn't have a sex interest in kurama in that way, it's unseemingly of him and rather very disturbing in any case so please don't do this people it's making me sick..

also there are portayals of kurama having an inner conversation with youko and i highly doubt the likeness of the idea..yes he houses two souls in him, one of shuichi and the youko part of him but they are being merged (kinda) and they don't really communicate..that part in the english dub wherein kurama transformed into his youko form for the first time after inhaling the gas form of the potion is not really a conversation between them it's more like agreeing with his past self (considering he has changed much since being inside a human body) and the youko of him is of instinct or something but basically they're one and the same..kurama's born of the merging of personalities between youko and shuichi or something of the like, seeing he has both personalities and is being portrayed on the right situation..he can be cold and heartless and gentle the next, it depends..back on the inner convo i say it's very cliched especially when Youko's talking it's very OC like: 'hey red she's gorgeous maybe you should take her' or something of the like..he's not that kind of male especially with his reputation - as you said author-san - and he's not a sex adict, him being a kitsune doesn't make him one! and i will say this now this inner convo thing is very disturbing really..think about it..

i must say i wrote fanfics of other anime when i was younger and after reading it some years later it makes me cringe and i was thinking along the lines of 'the heck did i just made' o.0

aand i would like to point out some more flaws with some other kurama portayals just to say i agree with some of your reasonings but i'm afraid i'm making this into my own opinion section so to cut this short.. i like what you did there *thumbs up* and to some writers who read this, TAKE A HINT..not just with portraying kurama but with other characters as well
Yu chapter 1 . 8/21/2013
i liked reading your opinions! they were thought-out, and i agreed with a few of them!
middlekertz chapter 1 . 4/29/2012
Annddd this was great, too. Geez.
middlekertz chapter 1 . 4/29/2012
Annddd this was great, too. Geez.
blueblackmask chapter 1 . 3/9/2011
chika, you rock.

the thing i most agree with on here is how people turn keiko or maya into a bitch/slut so they can be easily pushed out of the way. which is so not cool cause i love little keiko, she's so sweet) I haven't read the manga but i've heard enough about maya and i'm sure she's the same case as keiko.
Slimjim314yo chapter 1 . 10/19/2010
Very very nice ) I was starting to think that I was the only one questioning where most of these problems came from (the marking thing, and the pervert/slut persona) because most of the fics I read have multiple of those personas in them.

I thoroughly enjoyed it; thanks for taking the time to write this out :)
racerabbit chapter 1 . 5/6/2010
It's nice 2 know that at least someone out there likes the real Kurama and analysed why most fanfics have just changed his character so that it sucks. I totally agree with what u say. Impressive research! Nice!
LMR chapter 1 . 1/4/2010
Haha, I like some of the arguments that you've given. I haven't gotten the chance to read all of it, since I'm exhausted and need my sleep, but this is certainly something to come back to and read a little more thoroughly. I have seen a lot of what you mentioned and I agree that it can be really obnoxious, disappointing, and strange. Some things, however, I feel can actually add to a fic. I'm not saying all of them (the pervert/slut thing-among others- is way off base, I agree), but a few (the fangirl thing can be funny, if used correctly). I'm fond of all the characters, admittedly, and seeing them taken out of character so greatly upsets me. Since we are not Togashi, however, and cannot fully grasp their characters as fully, a margin of error is allowed, I'd like to think. The more you write, reflect, and revise, the better you can grasp a character, right? (But then, I guess that would mean the author has growth, rather than his or her own...interests, in mind.)

Anyway, I'd like to commend you on some very thorough and well supported opinions. Should I attempt a YYH fic in the future (which I doubt, for I've mangled my own share of fictitious characters, and am not eager to ruin more), I'll definitely be using this as a guide of what NOT to do, haha. Thank you for giving me something to think about and mull over. :)
Alquawende chapter 1 . 7/11/2009
Excellent essay! It's sad sometimes what happens to characters in fanfiction.
Blackrose Kitsune chapter 1 . 6/8/2009
You know, on some base level, I think we all have to admit that for writing in the YYH fandom we've done at least one of the things you've mentioned. I know I am guilty of turning him Emo (in lieu of terminal illness, but the point remains!)

But, you're right. And these points all have marked value if you take a moment to notice how the fiction in this genre has deteriorated. So many, many good authors have left. Sad, but assuredly because of another point you happened to bring up - bad, or otherwise exceedingly young people trying to write in a genre they probably aren't wise or old enough to fully grasp.

I think, due to of some of the principles and plots of the anime particularly, never mind how they characters develop - 'specially in the case of Kurama - that there's a bit of psychology that needs understood and a decent grasp on the human condition too, before you even try to tackle relating all of these complex relationships. Does that make sense to you? I feel like that's part of the reason why so much of the YYH fanfiction has such abysmal readability anymore.

Maybe I'm a cynic; I've definitely rambled long enough.

Anyway, well done!

Blackrose
Lunalom chapter 1 . 6/7/2009
First of all, THANK. YOU.

That section on Transference/Fanfiction Phenomenon? UGH. Such a major pet peeve of mine.

I think this all really needed to be highlighted and I think you did it well. :3
tinkerchu chapter 1 . 6/6/2009
I havent really read a lot of fanfictions about the major issues with Kurama in most fanfics, but I do agree with you. I usually stop reading anything that doesnt give me a geniune feel of the show. I hate when writers try to twist the persona's of them in their stories, and make them act differently. I try really hard to write what I know they would say if this happen, it takes a lot of hard work really.
WistfulSin chapter 1 . 6/5/2009
This was fabulous, you know that? Seriously fabulous.

Some parts were funny to me, which probably wasn't intentional, but still. I really thought this was a good "Shut Up and Listen!" to writers of YYH fanfics.

Good job!
Death101- Fox Version chapter 1 . 6/5/2009
Thanks for bring these things up. It helps me learn where I need to work with the Kurama in my story. Heh heh. Anyways, nicely done.

-D101