Reviews for Effect
Wow chapter 1 . 7/19/2011
This was the best death story I think I have ever read. I came across this while writing my own death scenes, and I was seriously inspired. No other story has actually made me tear up- but yours did. Thank you for writing this touching masterpiece!
MissAnderson92 chapter 1 . 12/13/2009
:O she died! x
Definitions chapter 1 . 10/12/2009
Absolutely AMAZING. I think I almost cried. I never, ever in a million years thought she'd actually DIE, and that line ... and when she died ... and the reactions ... and how you spoke about each and every person ... and took into account their relationships with her, how close each of them are, and how DIFFERENT each of them are ... wow, wow, wow. Why this doesn't have 1001 reviews and isn't winning awards all over the place is beyond me. It's easily one of the most incredible things I've ever, ever, EVER read! I want to make everyone read it, and everyone review. It's amazing. Sack that, it's beyond amazing. It's mindblowingly, awe-inspiringly brilliant. And I probably love it more than anything to date.
Steeldust-01 chapter 1 . 6/8/2009
This is incredible sad *sigh*

Perfectly written but I would prefer

a happy ending :(

Great story. Thanks for sharing
GoofyGal2008 chapter 1 . 6/7/2009 usual, very well written and totally in sync with the characters. I'm always a little hesitant to read things labeled 'Mac & Stella', because as you know I'm a big Fiesta fan, but I figured if you wrote it, it had to be good...and, of course, it was :-)

When I read this line "...Angell was there in twenty-two, and Stella was dead in sixteen" I have to admit, I actually gasped out loud. All the way until that point, I thought we were working toward some sappy scene where Stella wakes up and everyone cries and all is right in the world...not that there's anything wrong with those types of stories, but this was just so poignant and touchingly different. I loved seeing everyone come in to visit her before she died, and felt myself getting a little misty-eyed when they came in after.

I loved how you had the little flashbacks thrown in of the actual shooting. It was a nice way to break things up without making them feel fragmented, if that makes any sense.

The scene with Flack and Angell in Stella's room was absolutely spot-on. I loved the bit about Stella letting Angell into the "CSI club" when no one else would. And the subtle allusion to Aiden by Don was brilliant, absolutely perfect in the context.

I could go on and on about each little part...but I'll just leave you by saying again that I absolutely loved this as a one-shot. I know there's often a temptation to elaborate on one-shots (I always feel that when I post one), but sometimes they are best left as poignant little stand-alones, and I think this fits that perfectly. The length was great, too - long enough to draw you in and get you really involved in the character study going on, but not so long that it feels like a full-on chaptered story. Great, great job!
lily moonlight chapter 1 . 6/6/2009
You know I love this. I really do. Even though it tears me to read it. i've read it again now, and it still makes my chest feel all tight as i read through. I don't know if you know how powerfully you've written and explored grief in this. it kind of borders on the hysteria of it; as there's that hint of awful ridiculousness to it, that it can't possibly be real, and that the only reaction might be to laugh and disbelieve. If that makes any sense at all :S It stems from the note at the top (and thanks for the acknoledgement by the way, any time, i enjoyed the discussion and comments, and of course the Sid love :D) about the hurting and killing of characters you like. I think it's kind of like when you've hurt yourself, and you have to sort of keep pressing at it, to test out that pain and how far you can push it. So we hurt our favourite characters. And we hurt them by hurting others close to them, which works with how you put it in the notes, about grief and how it affects loved ones, and those who love loved ones. i know what you mean. It's a powerful and fantastic piece of writing, and it really makes me catch my breath. The structure is very good; the italics adding to the way time has distorted for all of them with the unreality that Stella who is so alive could possibly be dead. So many scenes and images that stand out. Sid and Hawkes, you know my feelings about that. Incredibly moving, first time I read that, it made me cry, the image of them together and the tears. You're very good indeed at writing the moments of emotions and all the human gestures and frailties that goes with it, such as Hawkes's knees hurting, how Adam cries, how Mac startles when he thinks he's been caught eavesdropping.

Oh goodness, Adam. Adam and Mac. That made me cry. So vividly described as they make so many movements, and all the time Stella is so still. That was so well written as Don comes in as Angell is there, and they are reduced to stillness in their emotions and touches as well.

I got the real sense of nightmare as Mac is woken as death happens, and how it is so fast. Very effective describing the minutes it took. Really vivid and hearbreaking how you describe how Mac thinks smply about not seeing Stella's eyes open and how now she's dead that her hair won't curl anymore. That broke my heart about him wanting to be friends for ever and ever and be the first to leave, and how he and Don and Sid, the men closest to her simply collapse together. The end was devastating, you see how broken Mac is. i think it was Stella in those last paragraphs, observing them almost, that was the feel i had anyhow. And as Mac's hands touch her face and hair and lips, and how she would have put her tongue out too, if she could. Really brilliant and heartbreaking writing. Well done. please continue!