Reviews for Through A Glass Darkly
Wendy chapter 7 . 5/4
Ending Part One with a bang! Again, more lovely James/Lily moments. You're the only one who makes me ship them, and I think it's because you give James a romantic side without smoothing over his rough edges. A lot of writers miss that - that he's still a jerk sometimes, or insensitive, or even just a tad bit needy/clingy. I like Lily's relationship with her dad, and while I never imagined her being at odds with her moms (just based on Petunia's jealousy), at the very least I can buy your portrayal. Going to miss Lily's perspective, though. She's always my favorite out of all your chapters.
Wendy chapter 6 . 5/4
I remember this chapter well - the big reveal of Lupin being a werewolf. I'll admit that there's a little less to comment on here. Mostly plot happenings, which are good but give me less to praise you on. I know that the Lily section is coming to an end, and I'm really going to miss being inside her head. You've made her so relatable. SO GOOD.
Wendy chapter 5 . 5/4
YES MORE JAMES/LILY. The fight was very well done, and you've actually made me lover James even though I've always taken an "eh" approach to him based on his rabid fan base. Also LOVE the Marlene/Lily friendship progression. They work well together. Also, d'awh, little Lupin, so cute. His character feels a /little/ to ... debonair? maybe? but I like it.
Wendy chapter 4 . 5/4
A few things you've done really well here. First, you showed a little bit of the dark side of Dumbledore that we see at the end of the books. Just the...I don't know, the demand of it all. The other thing I REALLY like is how you explored what it's like to be Muggle-born, something JK did not do enough in the original books. Also love Marlene developing her friendship with Lily. Please stop being such a good writer all the time omg.
Wendy chapter 3 . 5/4
One of my favorite early chapters, just because I really like learning more about Mary and Alice. Mary is a bit hard to stomach at the moment, but I know she's supposed to be like that. Alice reminds me of high school you so much, and it's really cute. I haven't ever warmed up to Em, but at least you given her a very distinct and interesting personality. Also love the character development/backstory of Marlene.
Wendy chapter 2 . 5/4
Ohh, the Quidditch chapter. It gets a bit confusing with all those names being thrown around, but you've done a really good job of writing something complicated yet revealing about a variety of people with the whole dividing into teams thing. ALSO DORCAS. One of my favorite character inventions of yours. And a fuzzy ending - how cute. :)
calypso chapter 33 . 5/4
I'm glad you came back, and with a great chapter! It's all but awkward, you wrote it really well, as always. I enjoyed Marlene's point of view, especially her reaction to Mary's ideas. Wish you the best for your PhD and your health. Keep writing!
Wendy chapter 1 . 5/4
OKAY THIRD TIME READING DARKLY. GONNA GET THROUGH IT THIS TIME. Even if I have to print all 404 pages at my office and then feel really guilty about it. If I get fired for this... ;)

Like I already mentioned on Facebook, what strikes me most about this first chapter is just the mundane details you include. Okay, "mundane" isn't even the right word because that makes it sound boring, but it's just the lit details or snippets of dialogue that don't advance the plot but just make this all feel more real. (Like, not everything we say in real life actually 'develops our character.') The best little snippet like this was Marlene's comment about the Arrows and Lily's connection to Scotland Muggle politics. It just felt very real.

Also I laughed out loud at this a few times. I know that you don't like the beginning, but considering how few light-hearted things you put out, it's really nice to read something fun. So yay!
isabel culpeper chapter 33 . 5/4
ahhhh thank you so much for updating, it's very much appreciated! this is my favourite work ever and im just! so in love with it
Chloroforme chapter 32 . 4/6
It was brillant! This story is really special, unique. I've started it a week ago and spend a week reading it (at school, in the bus...). I'm kind of sad it is finished, so I really hope you will update. It is a wonderful story. Every character is surprising. For example Lily is different from what I've Read before. But she's great! And James is really interesting too. Thank you very much and good luck!
The Real F'n Scorp chapter 1 . 3/13
Hi there, lovely! I'm really loving this early look into the life of Lily Evans and James Potter. It's really clear that they are not the best of friends and nowhere near ready to be dating. I love the evolution and exploration of the friendships ongoing in this piece-you show us the friendship between the Marauder's, Lily and Lupin, and even how Lily is generally perceived by the Gryffindors because of her onetime friendship with Snape.

What I love with this section here: ((I groan a little, quietly—I had been hoping to avoid this particular discussion. "Dad, Tuney didn't invite me to the wedding." / Dismissively, Dad retorts, "Just because you're not in the wedding doesn't mean she doesn't want you at the wedding—")) is that we learn about how close Mr. Evans is with his daughter and how he doesn't look down upon her because she has magical abilities. The same we can see cannot be said about her sister, Tuney, who resents her sister for being a witch, for being pretty, for being the favorite in a way. I can see that she doesn't want her sister at her wedding because she's afraid that Lily will embarrass her, that she will let it slip that she's some freak and ruin her special day with some show of that unusual magic ability she has to go away to a special school in order to learn.

I love how this: (("Icebox," Potter finishes for me, grinning. "Not that there's any ice in it; Cooling Charms work so much better.")) contradicts the real world that we know. It firmly sets us in the magical world of wizards by showing us the fantastical things that are part of that world.

((We both turn expectantly to Lupin, who blanches. "I'm—not sure yet," he admits; we let him leave it at that.))-I love this flow of uncertainty from Lupin. I'm assuming that it's not known at this point about Lupin being a werewolf and that he's hedging because he doesn't want to let something slip and doesn't want to admit anything because he is so aware of how people like him are perceived and treated.

This: ((Lupin darkens considerably. "You'd have to live in a hole not to; it's all anyone talks about these days," he says grimly.)) does a great job of showing how serious things have become with what I assume is the rise of Voldemort and his Death Eaters (makes sense with what I know from the canon, at least). People are dying and there's a real sense of fear and panic in the Wizarding world for what is going on if the ones who are responsible are not soon stopped.

I love the way you represent the playful friendship between James and Sirius here: ((... he yanks Black out of his chair and starts to dance, sneaking glances at me all the while.)). However, it is more than clear that James is interested in Lily and that he is issuing her a silent invitation to replace Prongs as his dance partner.

In all, this was a very, very awesome start and I can't wait to read the rest! Fantabulous job!
fold my love chapter 32 . 1/4
I know it's been ages since you last updated, and I'm sorry I never reviewed before. This truly is one of the greatest Marauder/Jily/Blackinnon fics out there, and I love it. I first got wind of it from tumblr, and I'm begging you, please update soon because WOW. This is such a good fic. myfanwy
CeCeSweety chapter 32 . 11/11/2014
This is very very awesome! I wish they were already in seventh year so James and Lily get together, but we will get there eventually right? I really like this story soo please update as soon as possible :)
kaleidica chapter 1 . 10/11/2014
This is wonderful! It's original and strong, without an overwhelming romantic focus. I read the whole thing in about a day, and I can honestly say it's one of my favorite fics ever. So you know how everyone loves TLAT? I think your fic is just as good. The best word I can use to describe it is "refreshing."

One critical note: There are so many "chagrins" that after a few chapters the word became very noticeable and glaring. It's hard, because it's such a great word.

Anyway, you have a lot of talent as a writer, and I'm looking forward to reading more (of all your HP stuff)!
crosslight chapter 32 . 8/20/2014
i love this fic. i love your characterisations, and i especially love what you've done with peter in this. i love how well-rounded everyone is, and that you show no one is perfect in their views with the house prejudice. i think alice has been written brilliantly even though she frustrates and annoys me to no end and emmeline too. please don't stop writing this. it's fantastic and i love it very, very much.