Reviews for Through A Glass Darkly
The Real F'n Scorp chapter 1 . 3/13
Hi there, lovely! I'm really loving this early look into the life of Lily Evans and James Potter. It's really clear that they are not the best of friends and nowhere near ready to be dating. I love the evolution and exploration of the friendships ongoing in this piece-you show us the friendship between the Marauder's, Lily and Lupin, and even how Lily is generally perceived by the Gryffindors because of her onetime friendship with Snape.

What I love with this section here: ((I groan a little, quietly—I had been hoping to avoid this particular discussion. "Dad, Tuney didn't invite me to the wedding." / Dismissively, Dad retorts, "Just because you're not in the wedding doesn't mean she doesn't want you at the wedding—")) is that we learn about how close Mr. Evans is with his daughter and how he doesn't look down upon her because she has magical abilities. The same we can see cannot be said about her sister, Tuney, who resents her sister for being a witch, for being pretty, for being the favorite in a way. I can see that she doesn't want her sister at her wedding because she's afraid that Lily will embarrass her, that she will let it slip that she's some freak and ruin her special day with some show of that unusual magic ability she has to go away to a special school in order to learn.

I love how this: (("Icebox," Potter finishes for me, grinning. "Not that there's any ice in it; Cooling Charms work so much better.")) contradicts the real world that we know. It firmly sets us in the magical world of wizards by showing us the fantastical things that are part of that world.

((We both turn expectantly to Lupin, who blanches. "I'm—not sure yet," he admits; we let him leave it at that.))-I love this flow of uncertainty from Lupin. I'm assuming that it's not known at this point about Lupin being a werewolf and that he's hedging because he doesn't want to let something slip and doesn't want to admit anything because he is so aware of how people like him are perceived and treated.

This: ((Lupin darkens considerably. "You'd have to live in a hole not to; it's all anyone talks about these days," he says grimly.)) does a great job of showing how serious things have become with what I assume is the rise of Voldemort and his Death Eaters (makes sense with what I know from the canon, at least). People are dying and there's a real sense of fear and panic in the Wizarding world for what is going on if the ones who are responsible are not soon stopped.

I love the way you represent the playful friendship between James and Sirius here: ((... he yanks Black out of his chair and starts to dance, sneaking glances at me all the while.)). However, it is more than clear that James is interested in Lily and that he is issuing her a silent invitation to replace Prongs as his dance partner.

In all, this was a very, very awesome start and I can't wait to read the rest! Fantabulous job!
fold my love chapter 32 . 1/4
I know it's been ages since you last updated, and I'm sorry I never reviewed before. This truly is one of the greatest Marauder/Jily/Blackinnon fics out there, and I love it. I first got wind of it from tumblr, and I'm begging you, please update soon because WOW. This is such a good fic. myfanwy
CeCeSweety chapter 32 . 11/11/2014
This is very very awesome! I wish they were already in seventh year so James and Lily get together, but we will get there eventually right? I really like this story soo please update as soon as possible :)
kaleidica chapter 1 . 10/11/2014
This is wonderful! It's original and strong, without an overwhelming romantic focus. I read the whole thing in about a day, and I can honestly say it's one of my favorite fics ever. So you know how everyone loves TLAT? I think your fic is just as good. The best word I can use to describe it is "refreshing."

One critical note: There are so many "chagrins" that after a few chapters the word became very noticeable and glaring. It's hard, because it's such a great word.

Anyway, you have a lot of talent as a writer, and I'm looking forward to reading more (of all your HP stuff)!
crosslight chapter 32 . 8/20/2014
i love this fic. i love your characterisations, and i especially love what you've done with peter in this. i love how well-rounded everyone is, and that you show no one is perfect in their views with the house prejudice. i think alice has been written brilliantly even though she frustrates and annoys me to no end and emmeline too. please don't stop writing this. it's fantastic and i love it very, very much.
ccreech1992 chapter 32 . 8/16/2014
I love this story. You have really captured my attention with your lesser known characters taking a larger role in it. I also appreciate that you write the characters with more depth than they are often awarded. I feel like there are so many sides to Alice, Mary, and Em that I never imagined, instead of the one dimmensional people I would insert into JKR's books at their mention. I hope to read an update soon!
marinka chapter 32 . 6/30/2014
Love it, and I wish it was year seven. I so want to see Lily and James getting together :)
Messy Ink chapter 32 . 3/16/2014
I've grown very fond of this story, but to my own surprise, I've also begun to dislike Lily. Honestly, the way she's treated James (although he isn't exactly faultless) makes me feel as though she's more of a tease than anything-particularly in this chapter. The alternating narrators, however, is very appealing as I can get a better sense of all the characters in general. This has led me to conclude that Alice, for all her faults, is my favorite. She sticks to her beliefs, she's loyal, and I feel she isn't as temperamental as the rest. Of course her attitude to werewolves is (at least in Sirius's opinion) antiquated, but at least she's constant in everything from her work to her affections. It bothers me a bit that everyone, especially the girls, who ought to be a little more accepting, thinks that she's pretentious when her intentions are pure. For that matter, I hope things between her and Frank shape up soon!
Cheers, Messy Ink.
Nhami chapter 32 . 2/14/2014
ah, political high society games. i LOVE those. i hope we see james taking lily to one of those later, to monitor peoples reactions or whatever.
ParLeClairDeLune chapter 32 . 2/12/2014
This story is really amazing! It's rare that I like all of a story's characters but I do and I absolutely love how they are developing. The scenes are detailed, the dialogue is brilliant, the relationships are complex and I can't get enough. James' POV has me feeling sorry for him even more although I understand where Lily is coming from but I miss how they used to interact before. I can't wait to see how they will move forward and what's going to happen next with the order.
isabel culpeper chapter 1 . 2/9/2014
I've never commented on this and I hate myself because I keep reminding myself that I need to because this is honestly my favourite favourite favourite favourite fan fiction that I have ever read. It's comfortable and extremely well written, and I like your characterizations of every single character and I've reread it so many times that I've come to expect certain things from other fan fics that they just can't seem to deliver. This is simply amazing, and I hope to see an update on this fic soon!
Guest chapter 32 . 2/4/2014
Moreeeeeeeeeeee pleaseeee
SpiritedWind chapter 32 . 2/1/2014
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this! Although it doesn't contain a lot of my headcannon ideas for the Marauder era, I still enjoyed reading this fic. I particularly liked the portrayal of a strong character for Peter, rather than the weak, idolizing Peter that most fics depict him as.

Also, I could see a definite progression and improvement in your writing skill and style and I really like it. I hope you update soon because I definitely want to continue reading this. Great job and update soon!
Jerry Side chapter 32 . 1/3/2014
An interesting chapter. Since updates are few and far between, it's hard to grasp the story, but I think the chapter was good. It had some scenes I've never read before, which mass it enjoyable to read. I'm looking forward to seeing where the group goes from here.
We'reAllMad chapter 32 . 1/1/2014
Oh my goodness. This is so good. I love your writing, and how well that you've developed your characters. The characters that you've created of Lily, James, Remus, Sirius - basically all of them actually - are different from anybody else, something I'm grateful of. They really are brilliant characters.

I'm enjoying this story very much and I hope that you update soon!