Reviews for Strings & Things
302pilot chapter 1 . 6/14/2009
Finnally, a decent explanation of the whole car thing-and it fits perfectly! You wrote Sarah to perfection, capturing her attitude and no nonsense, cut-to-the-chase approach of dealing with her newest ex-con. "“You hardly think, hm? Sounds about right to me,” -absolutely Sarah. I echo Georgi when I say there's a lot more quirks in other episodes I'd really like for you to clear up.

Thanks for sharing!

Georgi1961 chapter 1 . 6/11/2009
NOW the entire first season makes sense! Thanks for sharing the real story! And, one of my favorite lines EVER? "Mark gave into an irrepressible urge to smile, as the events surrounding the loan of the vehicle suddenly became as clear as a crystal duck." Yeah, it just doesn't get better than that.

This early stuff is great-and thanks for reminding us that the guys often (very often) interpreted events differently...often (uh, did I already say, VERY often) leading to miscommunication and hard feelings. And, who knew there were so many variations of "pulling strings."

...there are a few more quirks in other episodes that I'd like you to clear up for me when you get the chance!

THANKS for sharing this wonderful writing with all of us!
JeanneZ84 chapter 1 . 6/11/2009
Well,Mark sure learned fast that even though he had already come to know that Hardcastle was a no nonse kinda realized even more how much Sarah was even more that way then The judge.

He also came to understand that the judge had his rules for McCormick to follow it didn't mean ge didnt trust was beginning to do that very nicely.

I think that thing that with Mark being jealous of Teddy and letting the judge finally know about after Teddy got to drive the judge's classic car and he didn't it was a wonderful piece put in this story.

I loved was terrically in character.

You always do such a marvelous job writing.

khollie chapter 1 . 6/10/2009
Very well done. I like the extra thinking that McCormick had to do and you portray Sarah very well. I especially enjoyed the last part where Mark got to drive the Vette. Could it be that the judge noticed that little bit of jealousy?
owlcroft chapter 1 . 6/10/2009
A real plus to this story is that it explains one of the great mysteries of first season, indeed of the entire series. But I'd love it just for the writing itself. The way you begin with McCormick's musings and just hint at the underlying basis for his anxiety and frustration. Then you move on to a wonderful portrait in miniature of Sarah, and from there to the depiction of a furious judge who manages to _listen_ to what Mark is saying, both in words and by inference. A beautiful job, and one exquisite touch is mentioning the episode title, deftly aside.

Please keep writing so I can keep reading!
rainy day chapter 1 . 6/9/2009
nice story!
L.M.Lewis chapter 1 . 6/9/2009
I can't tell you how much I've always been annoyed by that one occurrence in "The Crystal Duck", and here you've dealt with it-a really sensible explanation that's in-character for both Teddy and Hardcastle. On top of which, we see it all come to light through Mark's eyes, along with a heaping dose of 'early', with him trying to settle into the routine at Gulls Way (Routine? What routine?).

The ending is delightfully unexpected, and just perfect-providing further proof that the adjustments aren't all one-sided and curmudgeons can also change.

Thanks for figuring this out for us-the canon has definitely been improved upon.