Reviews for By the Sword
Margaret Armstrong chapter 1 . 9/9/2012
And thus the father exerts a masterful understanding of psychology to undermine the sisters' combined efforts and ensures the utter death of Charn.

Creepy and believable.
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 8/22/2009
A pity they fell for their father's words-the two are much stronger together than they are apart. I suspect their father fears them now, and that's why he wants them divided.

Neat story!
Love and Rock Music chapter 1 . 6/11/2009
Delicious! Fleshing out Jadis' backstory - I'm quite excited for more of this. I like the idea that Jadis and her sister were once close; I don't think I've ever seen that before. And the writing is so colorful! Cruelty seems inherent in everyone (how very Charn), and the concepts of shield sisters and blood sisters felt very otherworldly. Your language is well done, too. " 'I pledge this to you: no hand but mine will bring your death.' " -An excellent line.

The themes of death, heartlessness, and cold ambition were brilliant. I liked the king's cool dismissal. It actually reminded a bit of the princes in Stardust (though I've only seen the film, as I have yet to forgive Neil Gaiman for the travesty of The Problem of Susan).

Great job!
ilysia chapter 1 . 6/11/2009
Jadis is always fascinating because we see so very little of her before her time as the White Witch. What hints Lewis does give about Charn are tantalizing, and you've done a brilliant job extending them here. I really do hope to see that longer story about Charn you mentioned- with your elegance and turn of phrase (not to mention the subject matter!) it could be magnificent. Even in this short story you give us so many hints about Charn: the fact that the Queen rules was something I found particularly interesting. Even at such a young age, Jadis is more than willing (and does) commit murder, but here it seems a part of the culture, almost expected. Bravo, and I hope to see more of your Charn.
k123 chapter 1 . 6/10/2009
YES. This. See, Jadis always fascinated me because there was so much of her story that we really don't see. Her family dynamic, her relationship with her world, what drove her to destroy Charn and rule Narnia with an iron fist of ice and literature seriously needs more kick ass, powerful females, whether they be 'evil' or not. Can't wait to read more of this!