Reviews for The Photismos in the Mineshaft
Em chapter 1 . 5/28/2010
Surprisingly wonderful read- I would have loved to have seen a bit more development of the story after Brennan was found but still a very evocative read. Deserves far more positive reviews! (hence I'm posting a review so long after the story itself was posted).
PhoenixTears89 chapter 1 . 2/4/2010
Excellent Story! I wrote you a hugely long review, but the Internet ate it, so I'll do what I can to recreate at least some of it here.

Yes, I was confused about scene-switching at times (particularly in the flashbacks), but at least it mirrored Brennan's state of mind, and by the end I had the story straight.

I love the ambiguity you created around Aldo. One one hand, the mention of the duck called the "redhead", combined with Brennan's tenuous grip on reality, suggests that he was entirely her creation, but we can't help but wonder... how, on her own, did Brennan navigate her way to the entrance of the mine shaft?

I also seriously disagree with the one or two reviewers who said that Brennan came off as cold or heartless. Refusing to allow a traumatic experience to overturn a belief system that has been your backbone for years isn't robotic... on the contrary, I think it's strikingly human. Also, I was touched by her fantasy about Booth/Andy/Parker, as well as her (compassionate, albeit stilted) conversation with Aldo. Beautiful characterization. )

I really hope you write more Bones stories in the future!
cbw chapter 1 . 6/16/2009
I really enjoyed this story and hope that you have another story in the works for the Bones universe! Thanks for sharing! :)
katalizi chapter 1 . 6/15/2009
This has got to be one of the best 'Bones' fics that I have read in a long time. It was so honest to the characters and the show, and had a great consistency that some fics tend to lack. Ilove it when you can actually enter the character's minds and feel what they're feeling - Bones' pain and desperation, Booth's worry ... even Zack and Hodgins, however minor their roles, felt real and well rounded.

But what really separates this fic from the pack is the ending. It would've been so typical to have had the sweet, fluffy ending that we all hope for in the fanfic world (and I'm guilty too!), but you stayed true to the show ... until the bitter end. And that is what made it amazing.

Well done. Never, ever stop writing!
iAttack Mentally chapter 1 . 6/14/2009
I very much enjoyed the story. It was very well written. It was very descriptive, I felt like I could see everything the characters saw, which always makes a story great. The detail you put into this story made it feel even more heart-wrenching to me, which was great. I did see the similarities to "Hero in the Hold", but that didn't take anything way from the story at all. Very well done.

Blaze
Tadpole24 chapter 1 . 6/12/2009
That was really really good. :)

Very beautifully crafted with all the hints set in place.

I loved picking up the little traces you left along the way, like looking for a redhead. You are a very clever writer.

This read like an episode as well. I love that you captured the true angst behind the Booth/Brennan relationship. You gave us enough to know that Bones wants something more (the imagination at the beginning), but ripped it away at the end, making Brennan the clinical person she can be.

Sorry, I'm gushing a little. It was just such a well written story.

I have one small suggestion though...and I can see why you wouldn't take it, but maybe move your authors note to the end of the story. While the fic was still breathtaking, I have a feeling it would be even moreso if one wasn't going into the story looking for similarities between this and Hero in the Hold.

However, I can see why you wouldn't, as people might start reading, assume it a rip off and stop before they get the explanation.

Just a suggestion though. :)

Thankyou for such a wonderful piece of writing. I hope to see more Bones fics from you in the future. :)

Em

xx
Lifeguard chapter 1 . 6/12/2009
Wow, that was an excellent story! I see the similarites between this and Hero in the Hold, but your story stands on its own for sure! I was captivated!
allbro chapter 1 . 6/12/2009
Wow I am speechless. That was absolutely amazing! No other way to describe it!
crazycamera chapter 1 . 6/12/2009
I really liked this story!
iamwriter chapter 1 . 6/12/2009
This was great, very well written!
MickeyBoggs chapter 1 . 6/12/2009
Oh, just heartwrenching! Just when I think Brennan finally gets it, she goes back to her old ways. Excellent story and while I did figure out Aldo was like Teddy Parker, it took awhile. Nice job!
wondering chapter 1 . 6/12/2009
Wow, Brennan is depicted as cold, unfeeling, expressionless.

Maybe it's because of her early year working with Booth because

Zach is still her assistant. But I don't like her character.

She reminds me of metal.
bite-or-avoid chapter 1 . 6/11/2009
Exquisite! The descriptiveness was lovely and the whole story evoked a tremendous amount of emotion.

I especially loved this:

And she—she would be breaking the promise he made to her as he held her on the floor of that warehouse. That as long as he drew breath on this earth, that she would be safe and protected and loved.

Very powerful. I was hoping that, considering what she imagined for herself and Booth in that mine, that she would be more open and receptive with him. With this in mind, the ending just broke my heart.

Great job!
gfjhgf chapter 1 . 6/11/2009
Kinda creepy but really good! You did an amazing job of changing the points of view. Very creative and fun to read!