Reviews for The Value of Nothing
Moose Breath chapter 3 . 6/7/2010
You ask if the story telling style is repetitive. Well, of course it is. It is that type of story.

If all you are going for is a segmented one-shot (i.e. post when you finish a scene before you edit it to death), there isn't a problem. When to get to the (a good) stopping point, probably some sort of eureka moment, you will hit the "completed" button.

OTH, if you're going for a longer work, the usual method is to alternate the introspection chapters with (usually much longer) another story's chapters. The other story could flesh out the introspective one by using a totally different point of view and style. I have even seen one where the connection was never obvious or even directly implied [I hope that isn't an oxymoron] but only came about upon reflection of the entire work. [I hated that one because I hate horror stories, and if what I assumed was the actually the case, it was an excellent horror story, enough that I have consciously forgot the details.]

What you have so far is very, very good, bordering on excellent, and could live with either version, or even another variation, as long as you FINISH it. Without Nabiki coming to some sort of resolution, this will end up as nothing. It has started too well to deserve that fate.

Thanks,

Moose Breath
ann chapter 3 . 6/5/2010
So sad, but it is very well written.
Nysk chapter 3 . 6/5/2010
Interesting
BlazeStryker chapter 2 . 12/15/2009
Since several readers didn't get it, I will spell out the first couple of chapters.

Nabiki, whether she regrets it or not, stood by when the Saotome line was proven to be burakumin. For those unfamiliar, look it up in wiki.

The Tendo dissolved the engagement.

From the end of Chapter one, it's fairly evident that Nabiki kept bleakly shutting down sympathy.

She certainly did what Akane, in the flashbacks of Chapter two, went for a trip to visit Ranma, who she still loved.

Then, after he sent Akane away for her own honor's sake, she outright killed herself.

Nabiki's cold choice to deal with it indicates she still tries to freeze out everything.

To paraphrase the quote that inspired the title, "She who knows the price of everything knows the value of nothing."
dennisud chapter 2 . 12/13/2009
I think Akane being a ghost observing her sisters day at Uni would have worked here, but its still intriguing none the less!

dennisud
Manic Potato chapter 2 . 12/12/2009
Darn. That was really sad. Especially recalling so many cute scenes with a little sister...and then she dies. D: D:

It's so interesting I want to find out more! (; Great job!
XxkanaxX chapter 2 . 12/12/2009
I'm confused! TT but then again, I'm always easily confused. xD

Akane died didn't she? Oh and, I wonder what the scramble on the previous chapter were about.. with all those screaming I mean. Quote: Dirty blood! Get out of my house! Get out, NOW!

I'm sure the next chapters will supply the answers to those questions though o

Anyway, great Chapter! you got me looking forward to the next ones :D
Anonymous chapter 2 . 12/11/2009
Oh my goodness! I can't wait for more! I want to know what's going on!
162eRI chapter 1 . 12/11/2009
I like the story, nicely done and well written! Get lost at first, didn't know who was speaking, but if you read carrefuly you understand.

So it's about Nabiki new life after Akane commits suicide because of Ranma departure (because he is a "burakumin" (Japan's unclean caste)).
griffenvamp chapter 2 . 12/10/2009
interesting story but you have to epanded on were stuff started to go wrong and why nabiki choese to leave. and if ranma was a burakumin like one revieer said then nabiki from the beging of the story would of found out what she did with it i don't know.

hope you up date soon.

p.s. wonder if akane killed ranma?
XxkanaxX chapter 1 . 6/16/2009
that was new , and it was really good.
Manic Potato chapter 1 . 6/15/2009
I'm guessing that Ranma got kicked out of the dojo? :o It seemed as if he tried to do something to Akane. It's quite sad. :(

Nah, the ending's not that abrupt. Besides, Soumyee is an amazing writer, ne :D And the genre of the stories you write gotta vary sometimes. :)

Is this a one-shot? Because there is no 'complete' sign, I'm going to assume it's not. :D Keep up the great work!
Tai Khan chapter 1 . 6/12/2009
As others have no doubt pointed out...needs to be expanded.

I've never been one to believe, that out of all the Tendos, Nabiki would care about Ranma's ancestry since she wasn't the one engaged to him, as well as being the least traditional and most solidly based in the realities of the world.

Kasumi, of course, would care, even more than Soun most likely, as she seems rooted in traditionalism. (But not enough to have taken the engagement upon herself, which as the eldest she likely should have.)

Akane? Overwhelmingly, she cares most about how others perceive her. She wants to be viewed as a superior martial artist, a beautiful woman, and honorable. Despite her feelings for Ranma (irregardless of what they may actually be...I don't believe for an instant that she loves him), if it was revealed that Ranma was burakumin...she'd dump him in a heartbeat.
deleted07.02.2012 chapter 1 . 6/12/2009
pretty good. :)

can't wait to see what happens next! :DD X33
Riniko22 chapter 1 . 6/12/2009
Interesting story, I want to see more. I guess I am a sucker for Nabiki stories, and don't see enough of them. You left us with lots of questions about what happened, now we wait for the answers.