Reviews for A Night of Rum and Roses
Zenappa chapter 1 . 12/11/2011
So cute! :) love this coupling!
Bloodsired chapter 1 . 1/14/2011
-sigh- very romantic smut. You really have a wit with dialogue. Oh, all the sorrow and longing paid off. Im happy for Barbossa and May.
michelle1203 chapter 1 . 8/4/2010
very well written, i could imagine Barbossa as being rough in bed, since his character is so rough. yet he knows how to be a gentleman as well, I like this story. I love how you included his quotes "here there be monsters" "disinclined to acquiesce" This was very good!
Liliesshadow chapter 1 . 1/17/2010
wow...

congrats! very well written! *applause*
FreedomOftheSeas chapter 1 . 6/30/2009
I'm tearing up, my smut princess has grown to be a queen! How exciting. How quickly they grow... lol!

I have to start off by saying that this chapter was beauitfully done in a very tasteful way. Your style is just lovely to read, and flows flawlessly. I also really enjoyed that this was in May's perspective just like A Single Night of May. Being able to capture and experience this moment is truly a magical thing.

My favorite part of this piece has to be the comparisons you've drawn between May and Barbossa regarding how they've changed throughout the twelves years they've been apart. Your observations on May were wonderful, and truly allow us to picture her fleshed out in our minds.

"The second additional gift from Barbossa came in the way of the last words he said to me before putting to sea once more. “Madeline,” he’d said softly, “ye be a right sharp doctor, and the finest lady I’ve ever met. Don’t ye let any man ever tell you any different.”

Her emotions and turmoils over those years are palpable, and you've done it not once, but twice! :D

I also love this description of Barbossa:

"Those changes that Barbossa had undergone would not be apparent to the casual observer, or even to many of those who sailed with him, but to the men who had spent the longest time in his company, including Turk, Pintel and Ragetti, the new scars were there, buried deep below those apparent on the surface."

You certainly know your characters, love!

Oh and by the way, this was hilarious and sexy all rolled into one:

"“Ah, I don’t blame yeh, lass,” he said, still amused, “but no finer navigator will ye find than meself, and I think yeh know well from our last voyage together, that ye’ll not meet one with a steadier or more patient hand upon yer helm.”"

You have such a talent for these sort of lines ;)

"So many things ran through my head as I crossed the few steps to the bed, foremost among them that there was no turning back. Not that I truly wanted to, but as thoughts of my forsaken fiancée flitted by, I was stung by a momentary pang of guilt."

I think the fact that you've gone in and added May's thoughts right about she's about to get into bed with Barbossa was a brilliant idea. There must have been so much going on through her mind concerning Jonathan and her decision. Adding it in just made May more human in my eyes.

"Ye help me set the bed afire again, M’lady,” he replied softly."

Le sigh...

The smut itself was so magnificent. The monster inside Barbossa certainly came out ;) and I think May is just the right person to handle such a transformation.

Wonderful work! I can't say how much I truly loved this piece!
Tarlea chapter 1 . 6/20/2009
Nytd, I do think you might be in love with Hector Barbossa. In case you hadn't realized it yet, lol. LOVED this chapter! The part about the bed being on fire particularly struck me, not only as a great metaphor but also as a very relatable experience. This may have been even hotter than the first night of may-but was just as satisfying! Who-hoo! It's too hot here in VA for me to read something like this! I have to wonder-did seeing him on stage help you to write him better? Some of the passages-like the one about the laughter and his unguarded moments-seemed to be very much like first hand accounts. :D
Intrepid Bandicoot chapter 1 . 6/17/2009
Aww, it was my pleasure to beta this story, matey! It was worth every second! Although, I have to admit, I did more enjoying than beta-ing, since your grammar is tip-top ship-shape! The name itself made me squee the first time I saw it.

"However, if there’s one thing that was as true then as it is now, it’s that the Pirate Lord of the Caspian Sea is not your average man. Nor is he even your average pirate, for average pirates do not weave accords with goddesses of the ocean, nor do they survive not only one, but two voyages to the land of the dead."

I found it to be an absolutely ingenious passage. I think it surmises Barbossa in full. I can also say that I have never seen such a laconic, yet potent description of him. Pure gold!

You have kept true to May's unique of narration. Our May is so very good at describing the steamiest scenes in the most sophisticated way possible. :) Explanations that she gives in the beginning are very detailed, yet intriguing and therefore fast to read. There is no stone left unturned, so to speak.

The night itself is written in extremely imaginative style. It is a very unusual, highly romantic encounter. It is extremely realistic; seemed more like watching it actually happen, than merely reading a story.

The end was brilliant, providing a comic relief, as well as a very clever innuendo, which made for a perfect ending.

I think you did it. Perfection, thy name is “A Night of Rum and Roses”!
ChaosandMayhem chapter 1 . 6/13/2009
*jawdesk*

That was...I mean...you are...Really, I don't think I can find the proper words here. It's just...astounding! Simply, purely, knock-you-off-your-feet astounding! Barbossa was completely IC-as he always is for you-and Madeline's descriptions of everything from Barbossa to the passionate lovemaking was wonderful!

And they set the bed on fire! *squees*

Okay, I sincerely love you for this piece. The End. ;)
SafyreSky chapter 1 . 6/13/2009
yay! LEMONS! and, i can honestly say,you DID do a good job keeping everyone in character and stuff. its like a talent you have. ;)

update soon!

Dani. again.
sweetmissbean chapter 1 . 6/13/2009
"Whew," pulls back on collar to let some steam out, "it got hot in here!"

Beautifully descriptive. The part where they both look at each other and realize that the mattress is on fire is classic Barbossa-May. Perhaps that fire is to symbolize their burning passion for each other? Yep. I thought so!
damsel-in-stress chapter 1 . 6/13/2009
O.M.G. *Dies*

I can't review - I'm still recovering. I don't know what to say..

The lovemaking was wonderful and so passionate. They set fire to the bed. LOL! The bit at the start where May talked about their relationship was beautiful and lovely! Your description of Barbossa was so spot on. The contradictions you described where perfect. I literally loved every moment of this piece!

The spark between these two is so real and fiery. Their banter was classic!

Please never stop writing!

Damsel :D
Ossiana of the BPRD chapter 1 . 6/13/2009
You have no idea how much I love the fact that you were able to disrupt their first time together in ten years with a fire.

Their reactions were priceless, and this was so indicative of the situations they always seem to find themselves in when Barbossa is being romantic.

I suppose at least this time it was a fire rather than Turk. :P

This was lovely, and I can't tell you how much I enjoy reading your writing.

:D