Reviews for Rising Powers
ProfessorChris chapter 3 . 6/13/2009
Great story so far... Interesting way to get Hermione to focus on her magic :)... Looking forward to seeing what happens I hope that Harry wakes up soon and more importantly that the animals and tree don't attack her.
Mithrondir chapter 3 . 6/13/2009
Unique story idea. Please keep it up!
Matt chapter 3 . 6/13/2009
Good start, just please do not turn Harry into a little pansy that hangs on DD's every word. I hate that manipulative self righteous bastard and I hate it even more when he's portrayed as nothing but the "kind old man" he pretends to be.
Killapanda666 chapter 3 . 6/13/2009
This is very a unique approach...I like it a lot.

Your having Harry teach Hermione in that way was quite, humorous to say the least.

I'll be interested how far you take this and how far from cannon you will deviate from.

No matter what happens though you'll have a fan in me.

(Shoots signature into wall)

Killapanda
Crius chapter 3 . 6/13/2009
An intriguing start. I don't feel that there's much to criticise here, your writing is very engaging, and you've done well to portray the characters solidly so far without resorting huge amounts of exposition. The dialogue is also good, although I'm not entirely sure that even Hermione, with her reputation for intelligence, should be discussing Renaissance literature at the tender age of 8, but that's an entirely personal judgement, and doesn't detract signficantly from the quality of the story. All in all therefore, an excellet story so far, hope to see more soon.
Darksnider05 chapter 3 . 6/13/2009
Seriously why H/G/L why not H/H/G or something, Hermione is awesome and having her be over looked for Fan girl ginger makes me a sad panda. Well anyway interesting concepts curious if he'll see some star trek or something hopefully he will develop some logical reasoning before entering the Hogwarts.
Col. Hammer chapter 3 . 6/13/2009
Harry got more than he bargained for with Hermione.

Good story so far, and I look forward to your next update.
smedman chapter 3 . 6/13/2009
I like the way you are representing magic in this story. I look forward to the next chapter.
David305 chapter 3 . 6/13/2009
It's a charming, lovely story! Do keep going.

You do need a beta, however, to clean up the errors.

E.g.:

"he would have prune and trim his table" to prune

“You cannot know you if you don't like it" delete first you

"And those vermin were the first presents I've ever gotten before.” delete before

"The branches croaked in response." creaked

"that he was the caused that feeling" Either 'that he was the one that caused that feeling' or 'that he was the cause of that feeling'

“It wouldn't do you too good." any good, or much good

"Cement is the easiest," [Nobody actually makes buildings, floors or pavements out of cement; they make them out of concrete. Cement is a type of glue; you've heard of "rubber cement" for craft work. As it happens, concrete includes some type of cement as part of its formula, for bonding and hardening. Hence the common error.]

There aren't loads of such errors, but there are enough in each chapter to cause distraction. A beta reader would help, simply because four eyes are better than two. It's hard to edit for oneself, since people don't see their own blind spots - i.e., "We don't know what we don't know." Betas are free, and if you ask your readership, someone will volunteer. For hints on how, why (and why not) to get a beta, click my user-name and see the short essays on my bio page.

Keep it up! Cheers,

David
Sigtrygg chapter 3 . 6/13/2009
I'm not really sure if I should comment on this so soon, as I can't really find anything noteworthy to criticise. If I truly strain myself, I might try to postulate that Harry's lack of imagination when it comes to names ill fits his imagination when it comes to magic. Then again, his nasty relatives haven't really gone out of their way to broaden his horizons, and reading Shakespeare can likely have happened after he met his animalistic friends.

I am really left with little but praise for taking the story in a, thus far, original direction, with likable characters and a somewhat plausible plot.

I'll try to comment more if you write something worth criticising in the continuation of the story, but for now, you're doing great.
1,120 | « Prev Page 1 .. 65 72 73 74 75