Reviews for Building Bridges
Wordmangler chapter 1 . 7/17/2013
Exploring some of the older stories here, taking tortuous routes, led me here. Very well done indeed. I really like character pieces, I like ones where Susan's issues with her monsterhood are touched on, and I like Susan Adjusts pieces, and this was a lovely example of all. I'm impressed.
2lazy2login chapter 1 . 4/26/2012
I know, right? I often use extensive vocabulary like our dearest Dr. Cockroach. Just today, in fact, my friend and I were discussing who we would pair Susan with. I said Dr. Cockroach. She said B.O.B.. I looked at her like she was insane, and said, "How? He's a gelatinous mass!"

She looked at me and said, "Don't use big words with me."

So, good story. I liked it. :D
HamhaPHKFan chapter 1 . 8/21/2010
I love the Doc/Susan pairings that don't go too far... And this was perfect!

Sometimes people do go a bit too far, and It makes me feel wierd about the pairing, but these one make me like it much more!
Thing With No Talent chapter 1 . 11/8/2009
My theory is that while the Doctor may have gone through similar reactions to Susan's back when he first transformed (though tempered by scientific curiosity), he's long since come to the point where he's accepted his state and wouldn't turn back even if he could. He clearly enjoys his abilities and has few or no issues with being a roach-man... as long as people aren't running from him in terror. I mean, that would upset anyone.

I like how you write him. Knowing what he's saying even when he's just guessing, and being oddly reassuring to talk to even if you've just met him and have an aversion to creepy-crawlies. That was the impression I got. This was fun to read.
Nobility chapter 1 . 6/14/2009
I was inspiration again! Yay! I think I've inspired more stories than I've ever written. *Kicks lazy writing muse* Anyway, on to the review.

I... loved this. I know I sometimes give the impression that I just want to bash the SusanxCockroach pairing open over a rock, and I go on and on about the pairing is over-exposed, but when I read simple fictions like this, that play up the subtleties of their relationship... all my criticisms fade away and I just sit there, staring at the screen, grinning like a maniac, like I'm doing right now.

Dr. Cockroach/Susan IS the quintessential "cute" pairing of the MvA. That's really the best way you could describe it- it's unbelievably adorable. The super sweet, gentle giantess and the dorky, lovable, friendly mad scientist with big bulging eyes; their interactions can never NOT be sweet on some level. They just are so nice to each other.

But just because it's cute doesn't mean it doesn't have to be deep. You've touched on the more sutble, deeper qualities of this pairing, qualities that are rarely explored in most other CxS stories. You don't leap into romance, heck, there isn't even any real romance in it, but you bring attention to their special relationship.

One of my favorite lines from this story was this:

"Still, as he launched into a bunch of confusing questions/theories about her metabolic processes, the optimism in her chest felt a little less taut and desperate and more like genuine hope.

Or possibly faith, because she had not a clue about what he was talking about somewhere around ninety-six percent of the time."

And:

"She’d just have to trust him. And she found that despite the fact she’d know him all of a week and she still hadn’t figured out how to quell an instinctual repulsion to things that skittered, despite not really having any sort of reason or proof to do so... She did. Implicitly."

You've just touched on the one issue I've hardly ever seen discussed in any Cockroach/Susan fic: the issue of immediate trust. And you've done it well. You've can't really and truly comprehend Cockroach, but at the same time, you trust him. He's unstable, but when he's not cackling about getting his revenge on those who wronged him, he's a generally sweet guy who does his best to help everyone out by doing what he does, and loves, best. And Susan, although she's ultimately using him to achieve what could be perceived as a somewhat selfish or at least self-centered goal (getting back to normal and leaving all of her monster friends behind) she still has a desire to get to know her inmates and befriend them. She's still the sweet-natured young California girl who wants to be as polite as possible and make friends.

I'm sorry. I think I delved into another one of my rants. Let me just end by saying:

SQUE! That was adorable! 10/10!
Winnywriter chapter 1 . 6/14/2009
Hi again! Oh, you have no idea how nice it was to see a new story from you! It's always a nice surprise!

Dr. C IS fun to write, isn't he? And you do it incredibly well. Now I may have said that before, but it's hard to keep track of all the compliments that I give you. :P And you rightfully deserve them all!

"Dr. Cockroach considered this, chewing on his pen in thought. Or possibly because he was hungry." Winning line. Love it! XD