Reviews for The Thrall
Fortune Zyne chapter 1 . 3/20/2012
Well done!

This is vey dramatic and really makes an impact.
acacia59601 chapter 1 . 3/3/2012
Haunting story, I can truly see the pain Maedhros is in, even if it's through another's eyes. Very impressive.
Darkover chapter 1 . 12/6/2011
Dear Ithilwen: This was a deeply moving and impressive story. Your version of Maedhros is a complicated person. He does so much wrong, but I can't help liking him. Although I don't doubt that in his mind he was doing the right thing-and as much for Aphadon's sake as anything else-I also have very little doubt that what he did was wrong. If the poor thrall just wanted to die, he could have done that back in Angband. He obviously wanted to live, and Maedhros should not have deprived him of that. But I am of the race of Men, and Aphadon and Maedhros were Elves-they are different. I find it a strange irony that while Elves in general, especially Elves of the First Age, were stronger, swifter, more beautiful, etc. than their mortal counterparts, in some ways, they were weaker and/or more vulnerable than Men are. Elves would have treated poor Aphadon with pity, I'm sure, but with revulsion, too, I strongly suspect. Anyway, this is a great and thought-provoking story, and I enjoyed reading it, even though I seldom like stories with unhappy endings. Thank you for writing and posting it. Sincerely, Darkover
maglors harp chapter 1 . 11/3/2011
Beautiful. Finally, a person who finds Maedhros to be intelligent but not a 'lore master'. I was so sick of people portraying him as some sort of scholar, when it was clearly Maglor and Curufin who were the book-lovers.

End of rant.

I really like your Maedhros. You manage to depict him as the complex (and yet intriguing) character Tolkien intended him to be and not the overly perfect Gary-Stu that so many people (*cough*fangirls*cough*) portray him as.

Wow, that wasn't the end of the rant, was it? Sorry.

Just one little question: where did Maedhros get lembas from? If I remember from correctly, in one of the HoME books it said that only the head woman of a region or house was able to make it - and your Maedhros (at least in this story) does not seem to have a wife.

Once again, bravo.

-Maglor
Eriala chapter 1 . 5/14/2010
That was... powerful. Achingly tragic. You've always written such a perfect Maedhros.

In a way, I think you changed the ending of the Silm for me... you gave Maedhros closure and, one would hope, peace, rather than the desolation I'd seen before...

...thank you.
Klose chapter 1 . 4/6/2010
Ah, Ithilwen, it is SO good to read new(ish) Silmfic from you. As always, your stories are moving, engaging evocative - the characters just pop out of the page, and completely absorbing from the first time we meet them.

I love your depiction of Maedhros here - compassionate, flawed... we see his good side, but the shades of grey make him a well-realised character. And sorry for this vague comment, but I love the premise of this story - using Agaphon and the narrator to do this clever study of Maedhros in the later part of the First Age, and it's just so well-crafted. Thank you so much for sharing your Silmfic - as always, it continues to inspired me, and that's the best thing ever. :)
Virtuella chapter 1 . 12/15/2009
This is great. I'll review it in more detail on the MEFA site.
Beatrisu chapter 1 . 11/26/2009
Wow... Such a beautiful fic! I really enjoyed reading this, and the different facets of Maedhros were beautifully explained.

As ever, your silmarillion fiction is a joy to write. Thank you, for sharing it with the world :)
Larner chapter 1 . 9/28/2009
Extraordinarily well written. I can empathise with all three-Maedhros, the aide, and the escaped thrall. How tragic-yet in the end hopeful, in a dark way-for them all.
Kondoru chapter 1 . 7/8/2009
Oh, Im suprised Im the first to review this.

You write powerfully, -poor Maidros...Buts it the sort of thing he might do. Middle earth is a brutal place, and hes no weakling.

I can quite see the elves treating someone so marred badly; they are too used to perfection