Reviews for Prelude
Aria Breuer chapter 1 . 10/12/2013
Well-written story.

I appreciated how this story was on Frodo and Legolas' forming friendship, not another romance story on Legolas and Frodo - even though I'll make exceptions for the well-written romance stories. They both were in-character, including Sam, Merry, and Pippin, which I also appreciated. Frodo does need time to think, since he is reserved, and I'm surprised as he was that a tree is helpful to get some time alone to serious thoughts.

The only grammatical error I caught in this story came from Legolas’ first dialogue “What do you here, Master Baggins?” ‘here’ should be changed to ‘hear’.

Well done. I'm favoriting this story and putting it in my community, 'A Hobbit's Comeback'.

Aria Breuer
Petrichora chapter 1 . 2/27/2013
I wish I had constructive criticism to give you, but since I am painfully aware of the fact that your skill as a writer clearly exceeds my own, I'm afraid you'll just have to settle for lavish praise instead. ;)

My favorite line: "And you," he turned to the Elf, "you said you'd bring him back straight away! 'Trust an Elf in Imladris; I will find the Ringbearer, though he hide from mortal sight.'"

I imagined Pippin saying that in an indignant imitation of Legolas' voice complete with gestures, and I burst out laughing!

I thought your characterization was perfect: not a single thing OOC for anyone as far as I could tell, which is especially hard with Legolas: so many people get him so miserably wrong! I commend you for your talent, as he was as spot-on as an elven arrow here.

The tone was also excellent: light in some ways, somber in others, but always thoughtful and reflective, which is what one would hope of a fic set in pre-quest Rivendell.

Thank you for posting this story: in case it is not already evident, I greatly enjoyed it! :)
Gentle Breezes chapter 1 . 1/26/2013
This was a bit of an unexpected story to stumble on, but I'm so glad I did! There isn't much communication between Legolas and Frodo in the books or the movies, so this was interesting to read. The interaction is very smooth, and imagining their climbing of the trees gave me absolute glee. Nice idea about Legolas suggesting climbing just the right tree to rove through your thoughts!
Sachita chapter 1 . 9/26/2010
Hi there (-: It is interesting how you challenge people to leave an intelligent review with your last sentences. I, too, felt challenged and thus, here is my review (that will at least try to sound intelligent (-:) It's so easy to just say "Awesome" and move on, but I will try my best to avoid that expression.

First of all- the surroundings. You took care to describe them in detail, but you didn't exaggerate the descriptions, which is always a good thing to do, because too much of it would be tiresome to read. As for the characterizations, I really liked the way you wrote Legolas. It's difficult to say more about that particular subject (and I'll just take the excuse that English is not my first language (-: but I will try)- you managed to capture the "Elfishness" of Legolas without laying it on too thick, yet you also mentioned that he can be arrogant: "The smallest sliver of rock, if it leads to treasure, has a siren call for a dwarf". Thus you ensured that he is not too perfect, show that he has flaws as well. The next thing- the language- was of course perfect and really fitting. There are those stories wherein Elrond uses the word "Okay" a lot, which would really not fit- your story is not like that. At all. I thought it was a wonderful, well-written oneshot. Also, I would never try to say something else to someone whose first language is English (-:

As for the topic- nice idea! There are not many good fics with Legolas and Frodo out there.

Umm, what else? Stories, for me, are good if I can feel with the characters in them (can I say it like that? My English is strange at times and I apologize for that) and when I read your story, I could see that willow and see Frodo and Legolas, hear them talking. So- to cut a long story short, I really liked your story! And now I hope I may say it- Legolas is awesome! Your story is, too :D!

Have a good new week (-:,

Sachita
Caitlin chapter 1 . 12/29/2009
This was a great story. It had a great story line and the details were pretty good. You're character perspective and recreations were quite impressive. The way you made Legolas study and analyz the hobbits was really neat. You made another side to Legolas and you explained Frodo's character impressively. The surroundings were also very good. All in all one of the best stories one-shots I've ever read. Out of 10 stars i would give it an 11. Keep up the good work
irishpotatoes chapter 1 . 11/10/2009
The way it was written made me smile throughout. :) It's nice to look at the book's more playful version of Legolas, and the talk about the hobbits being their 'quaint little cousins' made me grin. So the tone was communicated very well, and was probably my favorite part.
yamina-chan chapter 1 . 10/25/2009
First I must say, that I belive this is a verry original idea.

I don't remember ever hearing about a story that had Frodo and Legolas as main charackters. Only them, at least.

And I must say that I like the idea of the story too. It seems like something that might happen, I think. ANd that's always good
Nienna Telrunya chapter 1 . 4/16/2009
I very much enjoyed this. There's a . . . a peaceful feeling to it somehow, and my heart is more at rest for having read it. You wrote the characterizations well enough that I traveled and reflected Frodo's journey!
Jedi Sapphire chapter 1 . 3/22/2009
I really liked this story. I loved your characterization of Legolas; he is just as he should be: wise by mortal standards, but playful and merry too. (And, dare I say it... Legolas is awesome! *g*)
OrangeKisses chapter 1 . 10/26/2008
An unelfin like fall? Of course! Ha, that was truly hilarious.

Yes, trees are aamzingly special. I absolutely love Willow trees, and I'd be more than happy to go climb one for the sake of climbing, lawl. *Clings* Amazing story deary, keep it up! I didn't see any errors at all, actually. _

OK
bethellie chapter 1 . 9/28/2007
Oh, awesome. I haven't reviewed this yet? I was so sure I had. I've read it about five times now.

Man, legolas is awesome.

...Just kidding. Though yes, he is. Characterisation? Well, I thought it was great. It's been a long time since I've read Lord of the Rings stories, and am just starting again, so I might be a bit rusty on it...but I think it worked.

Your use of language is captivating. When Frodo is in the tree? I could almost feel myself there with him. Which is a true indicator of great use of language.

Writers with your talent leave me jealous.
yllom21 chapter 1 . 8/21/2006
Interesting! I never thought that hobbits were similar to elves (although not to the same degree) when it came to trees! Nice job and rather interesting one-shot. I enjoyed it.
memyselfandi chapter 1 . 3/10/2006
"it sucked" "it was cool" "man, Legolas is awesome" *writer glares at her* um *gulp* Okay, really, I liked it. Especially the undertone of humor. Legolas almost falling out of the tree cracked me up as did the image of three little hobbits standing there tapping a foot and waiting-probably smoking too. Funny little buggers those hobbits.
A-zla chapter 1 . 9/16/2004
First, I really enjoyed reading this, there are so little fics out there which have nice, short scenes in them.

I liked the characterization of Frodo a lot, Legolas was interesting too, but there was not so much about him in it.

Maybe you could do a second one during the quest?
skinnyrita chapter 1 . 7/18/2004
lovely fic. especially admiring the way you made their use of language fit the time period -good! erm wat else (im tryna live up to ur expectations of a review here)...i wish i could've known why legolas was attracted to that other tree! that's my only 'flame', ok? i was intruigued by that!

rita xx