Reviews for My own direction
lmill123 chapter 1 . 1/2
I had forgotten about reading this story. What had really pissed me off about that show was the fact that Tony took responsibility as team lead on the case for the screw up. But funny enough, you NEVER see Gibbs doing so. And what it even worse, McGee making those snide comments to everyone that Tony sent an innocent to prison. Hey, people, McGee was the computer expert, McGee was responsible for checking Grants alibi and McGee was responsible for tracking the money. Grant was sent to prison on McGee's computer research. Because McGee didn't want to do his job. He never verified Grants, alibi, it was too much trouble tracking the money, Both Gibbs and Vance knew the whole case was based on McGee's computer work, Vance reamed Tony out, yet told Gibbs that it was clear that McGee had messed up and didn't put any effort into doing his job, because the evidence was easy to follow if he had done his usual work. Vance even suspected that McGee had passed the job off to one of their inexperienced computer guys. Which made perfect sense because during that time Gibbs was gone, and McGee was more interested in making his book deals and going off to do PR on his book during working hours. Even Abby had refused to double check McGee's results despite how Tony had his doubts. Yet never once did Gibbs call McGee out over the fact that the screw up was his doing and not Tony's.
Many McGee fans love to call Tony a bully. Yet they see nothing wrong in what Abby does and we know she constantly bullied McGee to get her own way. Tony joked, teased and played pranks. What he didn't do was call into question McGee's intelligence or skills and that is something McGee can not claim. Because as far back as Kate, he was making snide comments about how much smarter and more qualified he was than Tony. The same with Kate and the same with Ziva. Yet Tony has been the only Ever trained investigator on MCRT. Gibbs isn't. He uses his gut and if the evidence doesn't fit his gut, well, just like Franks, he makes sure it does.
Ky111 chapter 1 . 11/3/2015
Great one-shot would really like to see a follow up to this.

Later.
Catalina Leigh chapter 1 . 10/1/2015
This was great! It'd be awesome if you could do a follow up or something to show the rest of the team's reactions when Tony doesn't come back into work (for however long). Anyway, good job!
Guest chapter 1 . 8/26/2013
Wish there was more. What did the rest of the twam think? Where did he go?
infinimato chapter 1 . 5/25/2013
"The last time he took a long, serious look at it was after Gibbs made his car-dive into deep cold water, dying and then never thanking Tony for saving his life.
(...)
And then he went to work and received a head slap as though absolutely nothing had happened."

Yep. Excellent take on what easily could have happened here, if they weren't so busy writing DiNozzo as Gibb's eager-for-abuse whipping pup.
Deleted18 chapter 1 . 5/25/2013
Good job!
Lindy chapter 1 . 5/16/2012
I just read this, and with the reruns in USA it's very timely. I wish this is what Tony had done. You've really captured the change sin the team dynamic and how much the others overlook Tony's contributions. The characters seem very true to themselves. Nice job!
Laura-trekkie chapter 1 . 9/11/2011
This was a sad, yet satisfying story. Tony didn't deserve the disrespect and snide remarks he got from McGee and Ziva, he didn't deserve the way Gibbs returned, or the way Vance dismissed him because he couldn't work a computer like McGee.

I'm glad that Tony had the self-esteem and self-worth he needed to get out and I loved the final scene with Gibbs; how Gibbs didn't think Tony was running away this time and how he didn't try to talk him out of it, but just gave him time to work it out himself. Finally some much-needed respect for Tony. I wonder if it's too little too late?
MarieP chapter 1 . 3/24/2011
Well done ... Perhaps there will be a followup?
Hieiko chapter 1 . 11/19/2010
Aw, I love how you wrote Tony and Gibbs here. :)
Bookworm chapter 1 . 11/4/2010
I clicked on this by accident.

I find it amusing how very similar we McGee fans actually are with Dinozzo fans.

This was very well written but Abby is the most self absorbed character in the show - bugs me how everyone else but her takes the fall for her actions and inability to follow orders because Gibbs clearly favours her.

I was not keen on the way McGee acted in S6 but felt it was necessary for the character and find it slightly hypocrtitical that McGee can be called a jerk for his behaviour but it is perfectly ok for Dinozzo to treat McGee how he likes.

I do not subscribe to the "needs toughening up" nonsense. It's bullying where i come from. Tony certainly helped toughen McGee up and in S6 reaped the rewards - though i am glad they removed that smugness from McGee in s7
Doni chapter 1 . 7/24/2010
Nicely done.
Detour chapter 1 . 6/19/2010
It's strange; I find this take on the team to be both in character and yet outside the character that I normally assign to them...

Also, it was very sad to read. I suppose because it was believeable!

Hurray to the lines about Vance and McGee; totally in tune with that.
AndSoSheDanced chapter 1 . 8/24/2009
Nicely written! I have to say after watching "Bounce" I was a little irked at how Tony had gone to Palmer to talk through things, but I never thought about him being a sounding board. Enjoyed reading it!
scryoko chapter 1 . 6/29/2009
Oh, this was deliciously angsty and heartfelt. I was wondering if you were going to write a sequel for this? I can't quite see this as just a standalone (or maybe I just need closure - of any kind, be it a good or bad ending). Either way, I'd love to read more if you're going to more. _