Reviews for The River of Thought
witchfingers chapter 16 . 6/24/2015
amazing story. i've never read anything like this. i loved it!
Komiv chapter 16 . 8/16/2013
So...this story was kind of brilliant? The juxtaposition of Seth and Bakura's individual perspectives ideologies was extremely interesting, and I really like how you showed both equally sympathetic characters. The detail put into not only the characters, but the setting and the background of the plot was awesome and really helped flesh out the story. The conclusion was great, bringing the plot to a close while hinting at the further continuation of the story.

I think I spied what looks like a sequel to this on your profile, which I'm already super excited to read (even if it isn't actually a sequel.) I love your characterization of these two and their interactions, eager to see more!
Bookfanx100 chapter 16 . 7/4/2010
this was an awesome story. I really liked it!
Bookfanx100 chapter 1 . 7/3/2010
*shivers* this is amazing. creepy, disturbing, horifing, plain wow. I love people who write like this. I admire them. just plain wow. Love it
BlackLioness chapter 16 . 1/15/2010
This was truly an adventure, a pleasure to read. The plot was very interesting, especially since it also included the political relations between Egypt and Sumeria (it contributed to the epic feel of the story). And speaking of the characters - I love the way you wrote them, they're deep and complex. Seth is proud, righteous but not without the capability to accept his mistakes and learn from them and Bakura is ferocious, cruel but deep down still human. It was great to see these two sworn enemies work together and become something else... The minor characters were also very well written and contributed to the storyline and the bad guys were awesome - from the evil cult, the savage forest guardian to demon Lamashtu (extra points for her being a real mythological beast), they all were fierce adversaries for our heroes (and antiheroes) to face. Excellent!
Shantih chapter 16 . 12/22/2009
Huh...Atem's a lot sharper in this story than in the original series, haha...

I really like the idea that Bakura and Seth are like mirror images of each other...because when you think about it, they kind of have the same ideals...except like you wrote, Bakura embraces darkness while Seth fights it. Bakura's sort of right, though, even though I don't want him to be...that there's darkness in every person's soul.

But the last paragraph...whoa, that was good. It's really what the whole story is about...how the river is like a human life, and it flows to the sea of a higher consciousness. It made me think of how it starts out simple and uncomplicated and light, like Bakura in his childhood, and it's as the river continues that it becomes darker and more mixed up and complex. It's really amazing. It's obvious that you've put a lot of work into this, and you have a lot of talent. But more than that, your work is substantial. It's not often people write so well about really deep issues (like spirituality or enlightenment)...so good job. This is probably the best story I've read here, and I mean that 100%.
Shantih chapter 15 . 12/22/2009
I LOVE THIS ENDING!

Bakura's reaction is great, all those complicated thoughts...it's awesome how even he thinks it's strange he's worrying about it so much, when he's killed people without thinking before. At first I was mad that he wasn't going to use the Millenium Rod to save Seth (could it anyway?) but then it turned out it didn't work for him...did Seth plan it like that? It didn't seem like he did but hey...

The part where Ahum-waqar turns into plants and flowers, like he explodes into a forest or something...I thought that a really cool idea, and it was really well written too.

And I AM SO HAPPY HE IS STILL ALIVE AT THE END. And somehow, you managed to make it totally not cheesy...usually when somebody dies and it turns out they are miraculously alive it's kind of a let down even if you are happy...but this is fantastic! I think it's because where Bakura and Seth leave off, there is still so much ground to be covered in terms of them understanding each other.

I can't help thinking, Bakura would probably get a heart attack or something when he saw Seth again... (all that red meat, you know)...o.O
Shantih chapter 14 . 12/22/2009
Ah this is amazing! The part where Seth transcends the physical realm...it must have been INCREDIBLY hard to write! Good job! It's almost Buddhist in a way...and it makes sense that it's Seth who ends up being the one who is able to see clearly. Is the idea that if the cult ends up being able to see the Truth, they'll somehow undo creation or something?

And I really love at the end, it turns out it was just Bakura holding himself back the whole time...and once he connects with someone, or is able to trust again, his Ka comes back in full force. It's incredibly spiritual, it's so far beyond what you normally expect fanfiction to be. Really awesome!
Shantih chapter 13 . 12/22/2009
The suspense! I want to read the next chapter! But I must review!

It was really cool, the part that starts "Had Bakura been a reckless man..." Because that's totally how he comes across but when you think about it he really couldn't be reckless and get as far as he did. I love the little details like that.

LAMASHTU SUCKS. I'm glad Bakura's going to trust Seth...

Ok, I gotta see what happens now...
Shantih chapter 12 . 12/22/2009
I really like the interaction between Seth and Bakura. It's just right. They're both so proud and guarded...this story is really really making me like Seth more than I thought I ever would.

Ah, I really just want Seth to tell him everything...although I must admit I have no idea what his reaction will be...guess I'll have to wait to find out, yet again o.O

Just wondering, is that last part (about truth being beauty) a reference to Keats?

Oh and I almost forgot...the first section, with Lamashtu, where he realizes he's standing on like a mountain of skulls..so creepy. And really understated. Its interesting how you go along and every keeps saying Bakura's a monster, not a man, etc. etc. but then you see him next to a real monster...and it's like his humanity comes out even more.

p.s. just had to say how amazing the last chapter was again...just in case
Shantih chapter 11 . 12/22/2009
I'm not sure what to say. Except that I cried. Good job.

So that's what Enlightenment is...

This chapter was incredible,and heartbreaking. Even the ending (maybe especially the ending) where you describe the Thief King now, and how no trace of innocence remains. It's really, really powerful.
Shantih chapter 10 . 12/19/2009
I really like the flashback to the battle. I bet it is gonna turn out to be all because of his doubts...ah, psychologically analyzing Yu Gi Oh characters...always good for hours of fun! D

The woods part is creepy as hell. I love how he's not scared though...the descriptions of the geography is really really good, it kinda reminds of Tolkien in that sense. You really did your research! I kinda want a sixth season of YGO set in Sumeria now, lol...

Oh, and props to Seth for always thinking rationally in dangerous situations.. ) Now he knows what it feels like to be captured! I wonder if he and Bakura will have reached any sort of understanding by the end...p.s. I totally didn't realize the table cloth thing in the tavern was supposed to be a shout out to Seth, lol...

Will read more tomorrow! Although I'm kind of sad and I don't want it to end ever. o.O

p.s. are you really going to write Midnight Swim With a Nile Crocodile? And I'm so glad you're thinking of continuing The Age of Reason!
Shantih chapter 9 . 12/19/2009
Oh my god. This was...intense. No, poor Seth! Funny, I thought before I read this that since it's about Seth tracking down the Thief King you would have to side with one or the other but you've done a fantastic job of fostering sympathy for both.

The trap thing was really creepy. And it was awesome how you just skipped forward without explaining what exactly happenened to him.

I also loved the first section. Yay, I love it when Bakura has a conscience ) You know, I just realized one of the things I really like about him as a character is that he treats everybody the same (even if he doesn't treat them that well...) Now I feel bad for him...he's compromised cuz Lamashtu likes attacking the innocent and stuff. And molesting him. o.O
Shantih chapter 8 . 12/19/2009
Hey! Back again! My break has officially started D

Wow, this is so creepy. I never even knew about Lamashtu...I love how you describe her, just focusing on various bits rather than describing her as a whole, it has the effect of plunging the image into shadow and making it seem even worse.

I love how the Thief King's first reaction is to call her a bitch. That's my boy.

Their whole exchange is fantastic and so believable. I really like that one part where it's from her point of view, saying how none of her previous victims dared to mock her when she had them in her clutches, except for him.

Umm. Maybe I can't trust you after all? PLEASE DON'T WRITE BAKURA/LAMASHTU SEXYTIME. o.O

I can't wait to find out more about the Enlightened One. Is it something to do with Lamashtu?
Shantih chapter 7 . 12/12/2009
I really like all the attention to detail you provide! How he masks his scent from the dogs, how he escapes through the top of the roof...all really good!

And I like how you make Seth more sympathetic than he usually seems...how he's trying to take revenge against the thief king for Egypt's sake. I also really like the part where Sin-nasir is talking about how being around the thief king makes him feel...it's really cool, he is larger than life and it makes sense that he would inspire that kind of superstitious feeling...

The last part though. Oh boy. So good. Who is it? I thought at first it might be Inanna, but Inanna isn't evil...is it Pazuzu or one of the Sumerian demons? Or just a monster? It made me think of Grendel for some reason...it's really really really creepy, you definitely have a flair for horror and really spine-tingling storytelling. It kind of made me scared for the thief king..he's a lone agent, he can't belong to anybody, and the way whoever it was talking about him being perfect, or wanting to posess him...ugh...didn't like that at all. *shudder* i really loved this sentence:

"He was strong, wild, cunning, a thing untamed. She sensed his presence approach from afar, never recognizing this feeling for what it was until he set foot on Sumer's shores. He was darkness, he was delight, tendrils of madness clinging to his mind, hands steeped in blood, his eyes aflame with fervour that caught and twisted at her heartstrings. His desire for revenge, his hatred, called to her, set her aflame with want that was sweeter than nectar and harsher than acid."

I really admire the way you use words. It's almost poetry, and it's such a vivid picture in the mind...

p.s. if you were anyone else I would plead with you not to write a sex scene between the Thief King and nameless Sumerian female monster. But I trust you. o.O
51 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »