Reviews for The Palace Guard
Glenstorm63 chapter 9 . 7/24
Ruth, I know it is 8 years old but I so enjoyed that series about the Palace Guard, I thought I should let you know. Jalur is wonderful. Being inside a tiger's point of view is quite an experience and such a feat of writing. I dug around for it because having seen this story and the Rat and Crow series before, Lambert and Briony popped into my head as I was writing Chapter 11 of Polly and Digory Return and I wanted to learn more about their history. So they have now made their entrance into the Market Hall in Beruna and appointed themselves as guard to Digory and Polly after their arrival to sort Narnia's rule 18 months after the great disappearance of the four. Thankyou.
alrightamanda chapter 5 . 3/14
Okay so I don't leave reviews very often but I was reading this and in your notes at the beginning of chapter 5 you quote Pat Pflieger and I swear I read it like 3 times because that's my lit professor anyway good choice she's awesome and I love your writing
Whyhow chapter 9 . 8/31/2015
My opinion of your OCs varies more here than in the rest of your fics. I usually like them all (especially Morgan), but here I like Jalur, have no particular opinion about the Hounds and Wolves, and vaguely dislike Dalia, although calling her a Mary Sue might be a little too strong.
SweetSunnyRose chapter 9 . 6/7/2014
I loved coming back into this world to read this. It was very touching. I felt my eyes getting a little moist here at the end. This was a wonderful piece. I will enjoy, slowly, going back to read all the other tid-bits from your Narnia.
Saoirse7 chapter 9 . 11/18/2013
Another excellent story! I love seeing this bond between Monarch and Guard. :)
Saoirse7 chapter 7 . 11/18/2013
I really like Jalur! His confusion is endearing, and I think he will make a good fit for Edmund, once he gets past the difficulties of being social. :)
Saoirse7 chapter 4 . 11/14/2013
I thought that might have been what you were referring to. :) I like the way you Narnianized it, and it still has the same great message.
Hilariter chapter 9 . 7/8/2013
This was brilliant, and I positively giggled when I realized Jalur and the Just King was going to continue.
You have a gift, by the way, for making things clear and unclear. We needed to share Jalur's confusion and conflict as a guard for the impact of the story to work (from my own personal interpretation), but also needed to get at least a sense of what is actually going on. I've read a few too many books where too little is explained or able to be surmised, so I as the audience get frustrated and can lose the will to keep going. But that wasn't the case in this story at all. There was enough unsaid to be in keeping with the secrecy, level of knowledge, and way of the Good Beasts, Guards, and Monarchs, as well as enough clarity and clarification to keep us interested and, in my case, anxious for more.
SolemnMarauder chapter 9 . 4/22/2013
This was awesome :) I really liked this story, it gave me more of a background to go through, to understand how the bonds between guard and the monarchs worked...
It was lovely and sweet and extremely brilliant.
And three chapters for Jalur! :) that made my day :)
SolemnMarauder chapter 8 . 4/22/2013
The Moose song! Oh that had been a fun chapter to read! And this one too. Poor Jalur, he was so confused towards the end... The dumb cat was Aslan, wasn't it?
The courtship ritual of humans! That was priceless! The Physician in charge to showing protocol to the guards!
It is this attention to detail that makes you a wonderful writer!
SolemnMarauder chapter 7 . 4/22/2013
I loved the assault on Sir Lezsi's troop :)
"I do not wish to be there in that room"- oh I adored the way Jalur was trying to be indifferent to what he wanted. Edmund and him are meant for each other :)
Next chapter here I come!
SolemnMarauder chapter 6 . 4/22/2013
Jalur is here :) :) I loved how he was manipulated into taking a temporary position as Ed's guard(temporary my arse!)
Poor Merle. Poor Ed, he must be missing him a good deal. But, like the Edmund we all came to know, he buried it deep inside him. I can't wait to read the next chapter, the ambush etc...
You are brilliant
SolemnMarauder chapter 5 . 4/21/2013
You did write her as a Mary Sue and I agree. She is one. So completely perfect in every single way(at least to Peter) and I really don't know what to feel about that. Their relationship is a bit hard to take in... I'm sorry. I can't like her. The fact that she gave up being Guard for the greater good of Narnia is too much to digest. Mary Sue indeed.
But at least you made her so on purpose. Yes. Well.
I love Fooh and Beehn's awesomeness :)
Thanks Ruth
SolemnMarauder chapter 4 . 4/21/2013
I loved this story before, and I love it still now :) Jina says it so well! It's like a fairy tale or one of those fables that one heard as a child, and it is absolutely amazing and I think that it needed to be included in both occasions.
SolemnMarauder chapter 3 . 4/21/2013
Aw. Briony and Lambert are adorable :) :) this chapter was awesome :)
It is a pity that they both have to wait for having a litter though :( but, as Briony said, she's not a songbird :)
I love how you made Lucy accept the whole guard thing. She would be stubborn and she's still a kid in this story at least. She's more than entitled to her share of tantrums.
Really. This chapter is brilliant. And I cannot wait to read more :)