Reviews for The Artist's Inspiration
Jackals chapter 4 . 3/2/2013
SPOILER ALERT - don't read this if you haven't read the story

This is hands-down one of the best fics I've ever read, second only to "Isn't It Grand What I've Managed To Do" (seriously, you are my favorite author on this site). I don't even know where to start, aside from that I don't understand why this doesn't have more reviews.

Reading this is like watching a Hayao Miyazaki film or reading an absolutely splendid fairytale designed to delight children and adults alike. I actually had the thought while reading this that it could be a book intended for kids.

Pegasus is my favorite fictional character from any series or work of fiction. I love that the Yu-Gi-Oh anime chose not to kill him off and instead allowed him a chance for redemption (as opposed to the manga). I love that he's in GX and is shown to be essentially happy, successful, more of a mentor figure than anything, and that he has moved on and accepted Cyndia's death and everything that happened to him in the aftermath.

That said, I can't get over not only your entire story but the way it ends. After Pegasus had accepted everything and moved on with his life, he created her as a card without realizing the implications of such, and ended up traveling to the world he unknowingly created himself. It's an epic and engrossing story with a classic fairytale ending, so perfect - he can live in Toon World with Cyndia, his angel.

I've never really watched GX, aside from the episodes with Pegasus and Kaiba, but your characterization of the GX cast was fascinating as well and made me more interested in the series. Especially Juudai and Yubel's dynamic... very well done, very entertaining to read. I found myself caring quite a bit for the GX characters and actually looked them up on the Yu-Gi-Oh wiki to get some background info while reading.

... and I REALLY loved the last scene. So perfect.

Thanks for writing this as well as "Isn't It Grand What I've Managed To Do". I'll review that someday when I can actually find the words for how amazing it is. :)
Divine Lies chapter 4 . 8/6/2012
Awww! Mogwen did get a happy ending! I can't help but relate to her in a way. And hooray for Pegasus and Cyndia, they finally get married! Yay! Everyone was in character as always! I look forward to reading more of your work.
Ciao!
Feyren chapter 1 . 2/1/2010
Again, wonderfully done. I can't believe this hasn't received more attention; it's hilarious in a subtle way, which is difficult to pull off. I loved the scenes with Juudai and Yubel, especially when he sics her on the goblins; priceless. All your GX stories are completely amazing, and I look forward to any future stories you might put up, whether they be oneshots or multichapters.
Waterbender111 chapter 3 . 7/6/2009
Another great chapter! Oh i love how Pegasus finally found the real Cyndia! YAY! Its so sweet to see them together! (Wait it is the real Cyndia right? U know cus i fell for the one before too) haha but update soon!
waterbender111 chapter 2 . 6/29/2009
I really like this chapter! I can't wait to see the rest of their adventures! I think you described each of the characters perfectly! keep up the great work! update soon!
HK-47 Scarlet chapter 1 . 6/19/2009
Amazing.

I like how you started with Pegasus lying awake after a dream; the recollection of the dream was very well done, as well as the dream itself. It was very vivid, and the way you incorporated Cyndia in there was clever and interesting.

/And then she suddenly spread a pair of wings, their feathers made of pure sunset-colored light, and the whole world was suffused by their glow, and it became so bright that Pegasus had to shield himself from it.../

I was able to perfectly picture that scene, which obviously means you did a great job of describing it. That's something I really enjoyed, you make such good use of details without going overboard.

/"But be sure to take your cell phone with you. The last time you went out unsupervised, I tried to call you, and your phone was sitting on your desk the whole time. And you know what happened that time."

Pegasus scowled. "I'll have you know that was not entirely my fault. At least half the blame was the cab driver's."

Crocketts scowled back at him. He was much better at it than Pegasus was; Pegasus had never really gotten the scowling thing down properly, and usually had to settle for pretending that he had no idea what people were talking about until they shut up and went away. That didn't work on Crocketts, but then, nothing did.

"I'll be good," said Pegasus meekly./

I loved the interaction between Crocketts and Pegasus; you did a great job there. It was very amusing to read.

/It played MP3s and connected to the internet and had more ringtones than he knew what to do with, other than annoy people with as he tested them all during dull meetings./

I had to stop there and laugh, because I've known many people who do that; one of those people being my own father. It just struck a funny cord with me, as I am usually the one being annoyed by it. The idea of Pegasus doing it intentionally also made me laugh. I'll have you know this particular part popped in my head as I read on, forcing me to stop and giggle. I don't know if you meant for that to be really funny, but it was.

/As he walked, he passed by two boys who were enjoying a casual duel, while several of their friends cheered them on. He paused to watch them play. It didn't help him generate any further ideas, but he always did find it pleasant to watch people enjoying the fruits of his labor. After a few moments, he took out his cell phone and turned on the video camera. Not only was there a chance it might be useful for a bit of feedback, but it would be proof to Crocketts that he'd been behaving himself, at least for a little while./

I'm not sure why, but the visual of Pegasus stopping his afternoon stroll to watch two kids duel just seemed so...nice, serene, ect. It was a lovely image, and you did a good job of painting it. It seemed like one of those moments that should have actually been captured on camera.

/"That's the spirit!" said Pegasus. He produced a pen and a small notepad from his jacket pocket. "I'll tell you what - write down your mailing address, and I'll be sure to send you a copy."/

A side of Pegasus that MANY people fail to portray, and I'm glad you showed it here. Great job. That part really made me smile.

/He would have to be very careful. He could not paint Cyndia as she was, nor as he imagined she might be now. He certainly didn't want to try to recreate her in the image of what he thought or hoped she would be. No, if she wanted to be part of his deck, she was going to have to fit in there - he was going to have to decide how she would appear if she were a Duel Monster, and that was going to challenge his creativity.

An Angel type, I think. Light attribute, obviously. That will work. Nothing too ridiculously powerful - good defense points, no particular special effect. I don't want to turn her into a showpiece. Simple and reliable will do. As for the design...

Well, there had to be wings. That was important. Maybe the usual elfin ears, though he wasn't so sure about that. He'd have to design her a new wardrobe, naturally...

For a long time, he sat staring at his canvas, constructing and discarding images in his mind. Then, at last, he began to paint./

I enjoyed that whole scene where he's carefully deciding how he wants to go about painting Cyndia. It's another pleasant scene to imagine in my head. I don't know why, but I like the fact that you didn't show right away HOW it turned out; I imagine you will eventually. But whether you do or don't, I think it's nice that you left that particular part where it was.

/"Excellent, excellent," said Pegasus. "I always look forward to hearing from you, Mr. Misawa. How are things in the other worlds? How is your wife?"

Misawa smiled. "Taniya was doing quite well, last I saw her. Anxious for me to get home, I'm sure."/

Misawa and Taniya married? I just love that idea, I just had to let that out, as I don't really see that prospect explored too much.

/Pegasus was all in favor of anything that improved the relations between humans and Duel Monsters, and Misawa had assured him that in the other worlds such unions between humans and humanoid monsters were both commonplace and fruitful./

YES! I'm oh so glad to see that someone understands! That sentence explains it perfectly, so I'm not sure how to explain WHY I liked it without just reiterating the idea. I've just seen so many fics where people act as if the relationship between Duel Monsters and humans WRONG and show it blatantly in their fics. It's great to see the opposite here.

/There was a whirring sound, one that started quietly but rose in volume and intensity until the floor vibrated with it. The light level in the room grew along with it, until it was like staring directly into a spotlight. It seemed to come from everywhere at once...but that was impossible, because there was nothing in that laboratory that could have emitted that much light...

Then, as though someone had flipped a switch, the lights returned to normal. The laboratory sounded very quiet after all the commotion.

"Transfer sequence complete," said a technician, but Pegasus didn't hear it, because he was already gone./

Great ending! I love the way you described the transportation; I thought it was really cool.

As you can probably tell, I really enjoyed this first chapter. To think that there's more coming is AWESOME, and I can't wait. You probably already know this, but I have to say you're REALLY talented. You have a way with vivid descriptions, conveying emotion, and a strong voice.

Great job, and Happy Writing!

Scarlet The Imperfect
Waterbender111 chapter 1 . 6/19/2009
Love the story! please update soon!