Reviews for Local Custom
Sylva Dax chapter 2 . 7/18/2014
This is a masterpiece. You handled the race issue with class and style. I found myself holding my breath when they entered the ice cream parlor. I like that your townspeople were not all one note.

I wasn't quite sure which Doctor this Doctor was supposed to be but in the end it didn't matter. He was very much the Doctor.

When I first saw the description of this story I imagined a known Doctor with darkened skin. The total body makeover for him and his companion caused by a misfiring chameleon arch was a strike of genius.
kittymyth96 chapter 2 . 3/14/2014
This was absolutely amazing, I love it -
Aeterna Nox Rosa chapter 2 . 12/11/2013
I'm really glad I found this story again. I found it once before and loved it. Then I had to to and do something and didn't have time to review and something happened between me going and coming back and I lost the story. So I'm reviewing immediately this time. :)

It's even more brilliant the second time. I really wish the beeb was brave enough to do a Doctor Who story like this.
UninvitedGuest chapter 2 . 8/5/2013
Yes. Yes. Yes. Dear God, YES. Thank you.
Hotstyles chapter 2 . 4/26/2013
Great story, fun and we'll thought out.
A Hopeful Voice chapter 2 . 10/31/2012
It's rare to come across a gem of a story as well-written, heartfelt, and meaningful as this. Changing the Doctor's skin and planting him into the Deep South was sheer brilliance, especially with the grace and attitude with which you handled. Racial segregation is not an easy subject to discuss, but you've done a fantastic job. Thank you.
Hope
Dragonsbain chapter 2 . 10/28/2012
Betawho, this story is a thoughtful snapshot of 1950's racial relations in the Southern U.S.. I like that the Doctor can not:" walk around like he owns the place". (10th Doctor's quote to Martha)

This story leaves me with the same feeling that "Black on White on Fire" did. That is a huge compliment. "Black on White on Fire" is a Quantum Leap episode from Season 3. It dealt with the 1965 Watts race riots. One of the best episodes of the series. I truely hope you get the award.
slightly so chapter 2 . 10/28/2012
I like it, a good adventure, some tough issues, a new body and some ice cream.
JaneScarlett chapter 2 . 5/19/2012
definately one of the best stories I've ever read. The study of the Doctor's character and time he ends in is incredible.
zoe alice chapter 2 . 3/27/2012
The Children of Time awards sure know how to recognize quality. They were especially right when they said it's more a study of the Doctor than society... and that's what I like best about it. Spot on. :)
SlightlyFrumiousBandersnatch chapter 2 . 2/7/2012
That's lovely. :) I quite like Mandy, as well. Would I find her in others of your pieces if I went looking, or was she created just for this oneshot?
MountainLord-92 chapter 2 . 1/25/2012
this is a very clever story, not only is he of a completely different ethnicity he is also thrown into a situation that makes this ethnicity cause him problems. very good work
Sffgcddrtfcvbhh chapter 2 . 1/24/2012
One of the most meaningful peices on this site.
tigerlily124 chapter 2 . 1/23/2012
Very nice story. Thank you very much!
QueenOfBeasts chapter 2 . 1/23/2012
This... this is brilliant! I can see why you've been given such high praise for this story! I think I'd rather like to see a black Doctor; it'd be very interesting, that's for sure! I applaud you on an excellent job on not very explored take on Doctor Who!