Reviews for Aegis of Candlekeep
kaispan chapter 1 . 8/21
So I don't remember /exactly/ how Chapter One went down the first time, but it is assuredly awesome to read about it with the writing style you've spent these last years improving; it's terribly engaging with the clever banters and unique voices we have come to expect from you!

"nearly punched his beard off" haha. Great setup for everything, from Aegis's drinking habits to Gorion's influence on her (she comes across as such a meek child when he's lecturing her! it's clear he has quite the impact on her development- "evidence a glaring disrespect for life" which through his devoted efforts has truly succeeded at remedying. ). It's also obvious like that recent dream/flashback in Part III that if he had remained with her, she wouldn't have been able to grow out of that child sort of role; he's a very powerful presence!

"She didn't have a choice, and he had somehow failed to give her one" AWWW poor Gorion D:

It's really cool that you're taking the time to revisit some of the early parts, and it's also cool for me to go back and read them; I'm sure I'm going to pick up on a lot of stuff I missed and see extra relevance/connections you wove in everywhere hehe. ;D
StalwartShadow chapter 20 . 5/3
Xzar talks so obliquely when it comes to Aegis's parents. Still, interesting look into his psyche. 'Flesh Golem' isn't exactly far different from 'Meat Shield' anyways, so I don't see anything wrong with that!
Celamity chapter 51 . 4/25
Oh, poor Imoen. She never truly listened to what Montaron kept telling her, and the shreds of decency within him were significantly smaller than she seemed to think.

Edwin's brand of evil seems cleaner, somehow.
Celamity chapter 47 . 4/24
You actually made me feel a bit sorry for Nimbul.

The conversation between Xzar and Imoen was wonderful. Also, with his emphasis on the word 'sister' - has he figured her out, too?

With all the heavy weight you've put on Aegis, what with the bloodmilk and her lopsided responses to death since childhood, I'm really curious about how you'll handle Imoen's heritage.
Celamity chapter 46 . 4/24
It feels like Aegis breaks and unbreaks bits of Xzar whenever they have a Serious Conversation, and every time it happens a little sliver of him slips back into place. Their interaction here was weird and lovely and amusing and profound. Like a jar of eyeball guards :)

(Xzar would like Abazigal's lair, I think :) )
Celamity chapter 42 . 4/24
Nothing like some hair plaiting and arm wrestling to take your mind off of heavier considerations! (That said, in the prior chapter, I liked how you channeled Aegis's realization through Xzar's observations of and reactions to her processing the new information, and I also liked how it changed how she looked at him. I wonder when she'll tell Imoen?)

The restructuring into a bandit hunting party feels quite natural for this group :)
Celamity chapter 39 . 4/24
Ow. Ow ow ow ow.
Celamity chapter 35 . 4/24
I don't know what was more amusing, the rare and fearsome peacock dragon, or Xzar taking a shine to the poor elfy :)

The Mulhorandi conversation was brilliant.
Celamity chapter 32 . 4/23
Xan has never been a favourite character of mine. He's just been the morose elf who happens to be a prisoner in the mine, is rescued, and then talks doom and gloom until I can't stand it anymore, and who I usually just send on his way with his moonblade.

Not your Xan. He has been suffering for three months, and is rightly *broken* for it. You gave him the full weight of what captivity had done to him, even before getting into Mulahey's treatment of him, and suddenly, his gloomy personality fits perfectly, and I want to read more about him.

Brilliantly done!
Celamity chapter 25 . 4/23
Oh hi Garrick, I kind of forgot you were there :)

I loved the part where Imoen examines the different spellbooks, with the descriptions of the covers, the pages, the lettering, how they take notes, what she deduces about their characters, all of it.

And this is the first chapter where I truly feel that Something Is Up With Xzar (beyond being mad on at least two different levels).
Celamity chapter 20 . 4/20
Yeah, lucid Xzar does not necessarily mean sane Xzar.
The previous chapter, when she was pursuing Xzar while he seemed to be his more malevolent self, was creepy as anything.
Celamity chapter 14 . 4/20
I like how you ripped your ramshackle party apart, and I like how you reassembled it :) They weren't going to get far without coming to blows, and I can't think of any other way that they would be even remotely willing to team up again.

I wonder if Montaron actually grasped what Xzar said.
Celamity chapter 13 . 4/20
Well, I did not expect this!

(Also: I love the flashbacks of Gorion trying to understand and instruct Aegis)
Celamity chapter 7 . 4/13
I wasn't sure what was more priceless, the hugging or the bathing, so all I will say is that by the time the unmentionables were mentioned, I was laughing out loud :)

As for the second half, you instilled more emotion and concern in Jaheira than I am used to seeing on her first appearance, which is never a bad thing.
Celamity chapter 6 . 4/12
Xzar seems a little more sane than usual when he's talking about his potions, er, soaps :D

The previous chapter reminded me of how, on the rare occasions that a party of mine did pick up Xzar and Montaron, my very next step would be to have Montaron charge off into a pack of enemies all by himself :D