Reviews for The Ugly Little Boy
shyfoxling chapter 1 . 6/23/2009
Aw, that's kind of sweet!
Silverthreads chapter 1 . 6/23/2009
If only this cycle could be forever broken and permanently ended. :( Great vignette.

I don't recall if I have read that particular Asimovian story though if I have I've forgotten and might do again.
mwk chapter 1 . 6/23/2009
Very insightful start. Please continue.
Blackpenny chapter 1 . 6/23/2009
As always, I love your feel for characters and economy of words. The scenario you've described is quite believable. If Petunia had a bit more on the ball she might have encouraged Vernon to deal with his anger issues, but she's the type of all-or-nothing person who refuses to acknowledge flaws in the people she loves - if they're flawed, she needs to hate, as she did with Lily and Harry. Lily also has an all-or-nothing attitude (she doesn't just fight with Snape, she banishes him) and it would be interesting to see how she would have raised Harry if she'd lived. I'm betting he'd be as spoiled as Draco and Dudley.
MarbleGlove chapter 1 . 6/23/2009
This was wonderful. In a hundred words you have suddenly made these characters three-dimensional. Thank you.
MinervaM chapter 1 . 6/23/2009
I like it a lot. Very sweet indeed.
Lucrecia LeVrai chapter 1 . 6/23/2009
"Petunia, in the end, was more loyal than her sister." - Ouch, that stung.
tearsofphoenix chapter 1 . 6/23/2009
JK's world, with a few exceptions, sometimes really does seems black or white, doesn't it? But rarely it is, of course.

And yes, what you suggest about Vernon works; besides, Petunia was so wishing to be part of something important(she too would have gone Hogwarts) that, no matter what was her reason, when she found it in that boy, and he became family she was loyal to it, like, in her way, she was to her duty towards Harry.

And the comparison with the fate of the other boy, the poor awful one, comes with sorrow to memory, thanks to your clever little tale.
unlikely2 chapter 1 . 6/23/2009
That had never occurred to me but I think you might be right.
Silvialaura chapter 1 . 6/23/2009
This is a very sweet take on Petunia and Vernon. They are a close knit couple, and deserve a little respect - or at least understanding. It's true that Vernon is used to abuse and has anger management problems, yet he always manages to restrain himself
Ysilme chapter 1 . 6/23/2009
Interesting approach to the subject, and really plausible. Of course there is a story behind Vernon, too, and without wanting to excuse his - or Petunia's - behaviour in any way, I find it enlightening to muse about backgrounds like this. And of course you are right - Petunia has been more loyal in this aspect.
41 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3