Reviews for Discovering Dickens
Pearl Bramble of Willowbottom chapter 1 . 10/26/2012
Wow, I'm impressed and it takes a lot to impress me! You've just described how most people heel about their favorite books, whatever they may be. I look forward to reading more from you.
Quod scripsi chapter 1 . 2/1/2011
This is masterfully written and I loved it so much I had to read it twice at one sitting – but then I do enjoy seeing a knowledgeable person discuss C.D. It brings back fond memories of when I first discovered Dickens, and like Jarod I eagerly devoured each new book. Thank you for also acknowledging the superb comedic abilities of Dickens, something which is all too often overlooked. And I particularly like the use of the opening lines of "A Tale of Two Cities" at the close of the story, as well as Jarod's take on them. They are possibly the most remarkable and poignant opening lines in all of literature during the past several centuries. And as the author indicates, as applicable to our time as to the period of the novel, as well as Dickens' own time as he no doubt intended. I don't mean to suggest the works of Dickens are equal to Holy Scripture (no doubt he would be appalled by such a suggestion), but just as many books of the Bible speak to us and our time every bit as much as to the people and times during which they were written, so too do many of Dickens’ works transcend the years and find surprising relevancy in our own time. After all C.D. wrote expertly of human nature, and that seems never to change.
ILoveTea chapter 1 . 7/7/2009