Reviews for Beyond This World
Wanderling chapter 4 . 5/30/2011
this is a beautiful ending. it brought tears to my eyes - thank you so much for writing it! :)
Enna Namo chapter 3 . 4/9/2011
I have always wondered what would happen to Legolas when all his mortal friends have died. Being imortal and knowing that you will have eternity and longer to remember them and all that you lost through death is a horrible thought. Though it isn't suprising to me that Legolas choose to leave the world of the living to join his friends on the other side. At least the gods had mercy and all of them met again.
kspadawan chapter 3 . 4/4/2011
This was so perfect. I cried so much!
VisualExperiments chapter 4 . 11/16/2010
This will be the 5th time I have read this story now, and its impact never dulls in the slightest. In fact, this story is one of the few that, in the middle of reading another work of fiction, I will suddenly recall and find I have to read once again. I would like to sincerely thank you for having written it.
Kenocka chapter 1 . 10/30/2010
I cried throughout much of this chapter. It was very well written - not that you haven't heard that before right? I haven't been fortunate enough to read the majority of the books but I have read The Silmarillion and The Children of Hurin and something of the friendship between Legolas and Gimli was described I think. It's been a while since I read them so my memory of them is a little foggy. You made their friendship that much more real and Gimli's passing was visceral and tear jerking, no doubt about that.

Good job, another phrase I'm sure you've heard.
blindrain chapter 3 . 9/24/2010
Ha! :D The conversations were amusing. :D

And the ending was brilliant.

It was sad... - "It matters not. The knowledge of its existence is enough for me..." - and that went DEEP.

But sad stories are often the best ones. :)

You write really well.

Thank you.
The Lauderdale chapter 4 . 7/11/2010
Read this and sobbed my fool head off. I suppose I could dredge up some suggestions, but honestly, this was written over seven years ago and I just don't want to. I will say that I really appreciated the epilogue.
1wngdngl chapter 1 . 5/31/2010
Beautifully written, and heartfelt. His pain becomes your own. I'll admit I got a bit misty-eyed ;_;
skepsis66 chapter 4 . 4/22/2010
Short as this may be, the sheer depth of feeling really carries through to me through the beauty and lyricism of your writing. I could not stop crying (in a good way ;D)! The friendship between Gimli and Legolas is truly an amazing sight to behold. You've done it great justice through this gorgeous, gorgeous piece. I love it!
Blackbird4 chapter 4 . 4/18/2010
This story is perfection. Just thought you should know.

And of course, it made me cry.
abunnymom chapter 3 . 4/18/2010
This was an incredible story of friendship and love! You really captured the spirit and tone of Legolas and Gimli, as well as the other characters. The fact that of the Fellowship, two are immortal, does raise the question about how they deal with grief and loss. Gandalf has lived so much longer, and as a bearer of a ring of power, clearly found a way to cope as he spent so much time with mortals. So the issue would be far greater for Legolas, a very young one among immortals. In many ways, his mortal friends had wisdom beyond his because of their limited lifespan. And your story really did an amazing job of showing what he felt, how he managed, and in the end how he found joy again. Thanks for sharing!
Vanechka chapter 2 . 4/4/2010
beautiful ending (I believe there's still an epilogue though).

enjoyed it immensely. Can't help thinking, "Poor Gandalf. He's always left behind now everyone else is gone."

You might have wanted to include Thranduil a bit more though, because after all this is like /his/ son dying, you might think he would have had more emotion because elves are supposed to be immortal.
Vanechka chapter 1 . 4/4/2010
beautiful story.

beautiful ending to a chapter. I love the way you portray their friendship so well without making them seem gay.

(this is not a slash fic, I think?)

You have wonderful descriptions and I love how you manage to weave in the bittersweetness so well. The ending is foreboding and I think I know what's going to happen next, which is a bit sad because I'd have preferred not to have known the ending yet.
Katia0203 chapter 4 . 3/20/2010
This was wonderful! You had me crying during the entire first chapter. Well done :)
Virodeil chapter 4 . 1/2/2010
A nice short piece! Now I see why you like it most among others. It does deserve high praises. It compiled a lot of philosophical matters and stray ideas but without making it stuffy. I love it. Well, there could be one thing to add if you someday decide to revise the story again: Legolas' "true" death. Luthien was granted the same thing, by Eru passed through Manwe and Namo. I think Legolas went through the same process, although without the crying-before-namo part. (LOL) You should put something when Elrond was conversing with Galadriel then Gandalf. And Legolas was too certain of his leaving Arda too that I questioned how he was that way. Elves go to Mandos Halls when they die, and if uninformed, Legolas should have expected to go the same way, not out of the circles of Arda. At least it would add some more depth to the story, although this has already been excellant so far. It looked a bit useless sitting there in your author's notes, if I would admit it... Well, now I do, but I did not want to do so even to myself. The piece had seemed so perfect before...

*shrug* Meh. Anyway, I hope you are not thinking that I am complaining now... I am not. Well, just take it as a suggestion. :)

The notion that Legolas would depart beyond the circles of the world was surprising but not totally unexpected. In a way, it was the reasonable thing to do, and I agree with your assessment about his Silvan and Sindarin blood. (But by the way, people who live in Aman are not only Noldor, but also Vanyar and Teleri, and Valimar is the city of the Valar and Maiar... and some Vanyar who choose to serve them, I think. You might want to look back at the names of the places and recheck their uses in regard to your intentions.) It was why, I suppose, Silvan Elves refused to forsake Middle-Earth.

Thank you for sharing the piece online, and I am truly glad you created it in the first place. Well, writer's block is never good... but if it sparks a good story? LOL

- Rey