Reviews for Fortune and Men's Eyes
odogoddess chapter 1 . 7/17/2011
I've provided feedback for this elsewhere before, but just wanted to say how beautifully you illustrate Severus's need to feel protective, to feel wanted for his own (or at least his body's) sake and not out of pity. Just beautiful.
katiealice49 chapter 1 . 12/19/2010
This is one of the best fics I've ever read and truly one of my favourites. A privilege to read. Well done.
Swallow B chapter 1 . 6/10/2010
She really is my favourite for him, despite the age difference, and your story shows how well suited they are. Very in character again. They are realistic, both of them. No impossible romantic dreams, but very real love.

Of course, this brings questions : Voldemort must have known about it, could Severus keep something like that from him ? And what happens after Dumbledore's death ? Her hatred for him in Cannon was one of the most painful things for me, and probably for him too.

I have a feeling this, like the Grubbly-Plank stories, is going to stay in my mind for a long time.
usiylover2 chapter 1 . 12/25/2009
Amazing, as I've learned to expect. Severus and Minerva are perfectly in character, but once again you've added pieces to them that fit so perfectly to them that I think you MUST be JK Rowling in disguise.
Librasmile chapter 1 . 11/7/2009
And I love this one!

I love your writing style. You have an excellent eye for choosing the telling detail and for showing as opposed to telling. Mastering these two skills that bring your narrative alive and I can actually FEEL the heat and see the light filtering through his eyelids in this story. You really capture that waking up feeling while also illuminating the emotional impact of it.

Favorite line: /He knows the red is not blood - he's a connoisseur of blood, and this is not wet enough to be fresh or sticky enough to be old - /

And your last line is wonderful - excellent sense of closure for this vignette.
maenadd chapter 1 . 8/13/2009
Well done. You manage to convey longing and human messiness in such a simple but elegant way. I would like to see more. I really like this pairing. Of course, a good writing makes her/his reader see (and perhaps want) what is written.
mo112 chapter 1 . 7/28/2009
This is really well done. I still can't see the pairing, but if, then certainly in this way. Thank you!
Spiderweed and Silverdew chapter 1 . 7/27/2009
I love this! Seriously, the first word that came to mind at the ending was "lovely" and I'm not the only one :)

There's nothing to say that hasn't been.

Perfect writing.

I love you, quite frankly. I hope you write more of this genre and this fabulous pair.

I look forward to your future fics.

Thankingyou D
Harmony Bites chapter 1 . 7/22/2009
Lovely story. I especially liked how you wrote of Snape's reactions upon waking-they're very telling. Another line I found poignant and striking was this one:

/He likes that her body is not young and that she doesn't care; he knows that she will ask no perfection of his./

And the ending section of the tale is fitting and sad at once.
Fanfic Reader chapter 1 . 7/22/2009
This story is AMAZING. You should be a writer. I'm not kidding.
moira of the mountain chapter 1 . 7/19/2009
He's a connoisseur of blood - what a brilliant line that is !

This is one of the most spot on depictions of a SS/MM pairing I've ever read. I'm so glad you never took this into the realm of blind passion or mindless lust, but established that this was a pairing based on sex as an anchor - a way to remain connected with one's humanity. I found the fact he would not be there when she woke oddly tragic - however harshly, he is still always protecting - both her and himself.
She's Not Here chapter 1 . 7/12/2009
So very well done. At every turn the fic takes, it stays true and deft. You are not cautious when you write. And I must applaud that.

I especially admire the way you handled the 'charity for the wounded' section and its resolution.

In so little space you touch on so many wonderful themes. From where I sit (or when I sit), I can most profoundly appreciate this: "He likes that her body is not young and that she doesn't care; he knows that she will ask no perfection of his." Perfection is finding what you need, perhaps, not finding things perfect.

Much to ponder. Thank you.
Laine Montgomery chapter 1 . 7/11/2009
Oh, so good! You've given Severus a clear voice here, poignant and perfectly in-keeping with the canon characterization. I must admit that I've never thought much of this particular pairing, but your story has certainly caused me to rethink my opinion. Excellent!
Charlie.aus chapter 1 . 6/29/2009
so sweet and yet sad.

A perfect story
aptasi chapter 1 . 6/25/2009
Hm I like the way you've characterized Snape in this one. It reads very accurate to me, and it's not often that I find him coming across in character.