Reviews for My Nephew Harry
Interesting take on the Dursley's story. That is one way to explain how Petunia wasn't Magical while Lily was. Yay, I caught a few glimpses of Snape. Surprise about where Harry and Dudley ended up. Also love Rita's articles. I also agree and understand how reading the characters' point of view would change how they view a certain person differently. I believe you accomplished it accordingly and accurately. On to the sequel.
I love your take about working the Aurors into how they work with the muggle officials. Great twist on the story and I bet Marge would be the type to see the truth if the facts were presented and the truth laid out. She would change her views about Harry. Good story so far.
kirashu chapter 14 . 2/2
That was great! I definitively loved Rita's article, definitively better than Petunia version in my mind. Continue like that Rita! great story, short but good and emotional. Great story.
csheila chapter 15 . 1/7
Great story with interesting twists on everything. It's also very well written.

Thanks for sharing it.
Guest chapter 12 . 11/30/2016
Loved the chapter. It's a fav. of mine to make it clear that while a charecter may still remain forever apphresnivable for certain things that cannot be forgiven, no one is pure fucking evil. Petunia has her reasons and her past and all that. Not someone I can ever say is anywhere redeemed, but giving charecters full motivations and backstory and actual charecter outside of mis evil abusive bitch is a good change of pace.

You don't gotta redeem someone to make a well-built charecter, nor a well-built world. People see in black and white and in extremes, and it just ain't so with the indivuals they mis-understand.

We're all greys.

If you can't tell, I favor this. This sort of stuff is my jam!
Guest chapter 11 . 11/30/2016
I love how they dismiss DNA so fast. They never learn how USEFUL knowledge of what DNA is, and whatever knwoledge we gain on it in regards to all animal life. How much we can do with it beyound the silly blood-testing methods.

Oh, and don't get me started on how even classic idenfication application is much more effective, given instead of needing specifically blood, anything biological from a human can be taken an analyized.

We don't need a blood sample.

Just imagine Muggle police probably finding out a case, even if it was magical in orgin, faster- because they can actually use more than just blood to locate things. Yes, Wizard method of idenfication is much faster- but it's too specific.

No wizard is ready for a muggle to pluck a strand of hair off their brush, or the classic skin flakes under fingernails of the victum. No-ho-oh!

Ahh, it's great being reminded how the Wizarding world is both amazing, and stupid at the same time; it's so content in it's abilties that it never stopped to think about how things could go further if they stepped down a peg and took a different path. A method that starts crappier but builds to be better than the spell ever could be.
pp chapter 4 . 11/30/2016
the line about Ripper dealing his own punishment.

Ha.

Serves' em right.
Guest chapter 7 . 10/28/2016
AAAAAHHHHHH WILKERSON GIRL
Ogrebear chapter 15 . 10/8/2016
Now that was different!

Marge being Harry's rescuer is not a variant of the theme I have read before, but you have pulled it off with aplomb- well done.

To the Sequel!
Cemalidor chapter 10 . 8/11/2016
Yeah, the usual "What could possibly go wrong?" :XD Poor Dumbledore.
Hagrid training/taming Dudley is pure evil. :XDDD
Cemalidor chapter 8 . 8/10/2016
Oh dear, with all that "sciencetific" and "special school" flinging around I somewhat expected Professor Xavier to turn up. :XD
Cemalidor chapter 6 . 8/10/2016
Yeah this reads all the way like the road to hell being paved with good intentions. :) A pity they (as in Dumbledore) don't have their own version of a certain (in)famous shadow-clone no jutsu. ... ... On the other hand it's maybe better they don't. :XD
Cemalidor chapter 5 . 8/10/2016
Ok, Aunt Marge starts to get more likeable, still I see her as her own kind of bigot (proper English fellow and such). Clearly biased here.
guest chapter 12 . 8/7/2016
Wow, this reads as "I wasn't as bad as that Rita woman says."

She thinks, 'she wasn't the best aunt' like she wasn't that bad because she could have been worse... And immediately turns around and says, she didn't hit him 'as often as it [the paper] said', and when she did hit him, it was lightly on the back of the head. I take it she's just 'forgotten' slapping Harry in the face?

She didn't take Harry to the hospital for his arm because he was already covered in bruises by Dudley... this is admitting she knew Harry was regularly beaten by Dudley and did nothing. Letting one child beat another one for no reason just because the victim will 'magically heal' is disgusting.

By all means, she can throw her pity party. The fact remains that an innocent child was put in her care and she knowing abused him and let him be abused by her son.

Gosh, my son beats up my nephew all the time, sabotages him, lies to get him in trouble, but nooo, surely HARRY is lying about having no food.

Maybe if you actually FED him more than one meal a fucking day, he wouldn't complain about garbage being in his lunch.

I forgot to mention this last time, but if Vernon knew that Petunia got two baby bottles and fed only leftovers to Harry, that is also sick and wrong and it makes it further difficult to find sympathy for Vernon. And Petunia has only made us feel for her MOTHER and not her. She, by all rights had a loving family. SHE ruined that, broke her own relationships and her own family. Vernon and her can both go to jail for child abuse and gross negligence.

Plus, she just said that Vernon ALWAYS agreed with her on how to raise the child, then said, 'but Vernon gave him chores too advanced for a boy his age', like she couldn't have said, 'he's too young for that' and Vernon to believe her.

You can't have it both ways Petunia.
guest chapter 7 . 8/7/2016
Personally, I believe it's not possible to live in the same house as someone for 7 years and be completely ignorant of such extreme abuse. Harry has literally been living with them since he was a baby. If Vernon never once saw Harry do anything bad with his own eyes (non-magical) things, why would he assume ALL of those things were true? Lying, stealing, breaking things, .

And no matter what Harry did at three years old, he shouldn't have had a belt taken to him. Why on earth would he think whatever magic Harry did was voluntary? Harry has had no training/practice and hasn't been taught. Why wouldn't you think that when a 3 yr old breaks something, it was an accident?

Also, I would understand not getting Harry new clothes all the time, but to NEVER have bought a single outfit for him should definitely be a huge red flag.

And, in regards to the constant 'lying' how hard would it have been for Vernon to LOOK at Harry's arm when he said it hurt? It would take 5 seconds and most likely there would be a bruise, swelling, or a bump of some kind.

Don't most kids get regular checkups at the doctor too? Or is it really the first time he went to the doctor when he was 7? It'd be pretty amazing to go his entire life so far without an ear infection/bronchitis/the flu/chicken pox/any other common childhood ailment that requires medicine and a doctor's visit. Most paperwork requires consent forms to be signed by primary caregivers and/or whoever pays the bills/insurance, so Vernon should have known either that Harry had never been to the doctor or the doctor would comment on the undernourishment.

Phew. Sorry. Child abuse is a terrible terrible thing and people responsible for it should never see the light of day again. How can you take a vulnerable, innocent, fragile child that absolutely depends on you for its continued existence and hurt it?

All that said, I am willing to suspend my disbelief because I believe this story is unique in trying to expand on characters that were rather one-dimensional in the novels. It appears this might be a 'redemption fic' for many such characters.

And Kudos for trying something completely new.
1,034 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »