Reviews for A Lapse in Judgement
excessivelyperky chapter 16 . 6/20
I'm glad that Snape knows better than to trust Albus with the truth; the older wizard will always choose the Greater Good first. And given their previous interactions, his apparent belief in Albus being kind is probably good policy; after all, someone who is brutal the way Albus has been rarely likes being reminded of it. Snape is following the best policy.

Mr. Cootes must have offered a *lot* of resources to have another nasty Slytherin allowed in the Order besides Snape; and he is the only one to understand that Snape was a victim, too.

Claire is delightful, helps Severus to focus, and Joshie will be getting a letter when he's eleven, won't he?

I am so glad to meet two people in this chapter on Snape's side. God knows he needs them.
excessivelyperky chapter 15 . 3/8
Oh, my. Severus can stand any kind of beating, but he breaks when he's given kindness-he's had it so little, he doesn't know how to deal with it.

I'm so glad he met Claire.
CR Kira chapter 16 . 2/2
I've been reading this story over about a week and i loved it! very twisty and enthralling, although i'm a bit sad i wasn't around to provide encouraging word through out your struggle, I'm secretly happy i did not find it until completion, as the long waits between that your AN's suggest would have simply killed me and extinguished my interest. but by far an excellent read!
LoneTraveler chapter 16 . 12/21/2014
I'd really like to know. Did you intend to imply something of a symmetry between Dumbledore and Voldemort? When Voldemort did what he did to solve his problem with the girl, I think it helped Dumbledore's purpose for 'the greater good'. Was that an intentional implication?

Though the circumstances seemed too coincidental to me, I think some genuine sexual healing and some acceptance of his flaws was exactly what the doctor ordered for Severus. I'm on the fence about condoning it, God what if he were ever followed? But it speaks to his need that he's risking it.

And your characterization of the father amazed me. It was his courage.

Well done for writing a mature story that delved into the complexity of these people! This story is going to stick with me for a long, long time. I really hope you author your own original content, and your own canon work, I would definitely buy it!
HermioneeBlack chapter 1 . 9/27/2014
This is a brilliantly written story.
excessivelyperky chapter 14 . 8/17/2014
Oh, *now* Albus is concerned about Snape's condition. Took him long enough. It'd be nice if a healer, oh, say, Madam Pomfrey could do a better job of healing him than obviously happened so far.

And I suspect the Dumbledore is actually relieved that the girl has been disposed of, actually. No doubt the private journal that Snape is supposed to read is going to make sure he knows better than to look at any girl or woman ever again.
excessivelyperky chapter 13 . 8/2/2014
Good chapter. Sad, isn't it, that Poppy can apparently do so little for Snape, while healing others; is that simply lack of ability or directions from above?

Anyway, good evil cliffie there, and hope that Aries can be found.
excessivelyperky chapter 12 . 7/14/2014
How horrible for both of them (but Ms. Cootes will be treated and receive at least some comforting, while Snape, as ever, is on his own).

And how special that Albus dumps them both to manage things on his own. So far he's been worse than useless.

Although Draco is soon going to regret his attack on Aries...

Snape looks after his students much better than the Headmaster.
excessivelyperky chapter 11 . 6/28/2013
He nodded assuredly. "I'm managing," he responded with a deep breath.

-Of course. And what kind of counseling could he effectively use, anyway? It'd have to be an Order member, because he would have to explain how and why he was assaulted. Telling lies about that makes therapy much less effective than otherwise. But then, that person in the Order might talk, too-and then others in the Order might not hate Snape so much, and we can't have that, after all. So Snape will just have to suck it up and keep on coping; after all, he knows he'll have to spy till he dies of it.

I suppose there was nowhere else to put Miss Cootes, but why couldn't Dumbledore summon Fawkes to take her to the infirmary? And I suppose nobody is going to figure out that it was undoubtedly Draco, or have a magical spell to track his traces, sigh.
wrappedinharry chapter 16 . 2/6/2013
I read this a couple of weeks ago but didn't get around to reviewing. Sorry Rachel, for being so slack.

All I can say is that it is so good to see Severus happy and content. He has even told Claire about Harry! I so hope he takes her advice on board. She is a very astute woman, very patient and willing to let him expose himself to her bit by bit (and I don't mean a striptease, lol). His luck was certainly in when he tripped over her. The toy wand was beautiful.

I hope that as things heat up in the WW, that Severus gets all the solace he needs from his Muggle friend. And it goes without saying that he had better survive the war and Nagini.

bookivore chapter 16 . 1/17/2013
I really enjoyed this story, dark as it is. As usual when a story ends before the final end of the war I wonder who survives, how much of the war is changed, and so on. But that would be another story.
Widow767 chapter 16 . 1/6/2013
Loved this story... I would love to read a sequal that follows his relationship with Claire to the end.
wrappedinharry chapter 15 . 11/3/2012
Bugger. I just wrote a long review and then somehow managed to erase the site. Brilliant!

Anyway, the happenings in this chapter were quite a surprise; a real fairytale ending actually. Claire was in the right place at the right time and lo, she wasn't really a prostitute. The lovemaking was lovely to read as was the comfort Claire offered afterwards. Her shock at upon reading the letter and correlating it with the 'stick' would have lead most people to ask some very probing questions. Luckily, she did not want to pry and perhpas upset the man with the deep, seductive voice anymore than he already was.

What will become of these two will, I am sure be made clear in the epilogue, but Severus does deserve some happiness after all the horrors he has gone through and still has to go through.

Aries diary entry was absolutely beautifully written. It is such a shame she never will get to grow up and perhaps fall in love with someone else; have a relationship that is not frowned upon and have a partner who can return her love. That is the tragedy. But, exposing her heart like she did and her wanting Severus to be happy with someone else if he can't be happy with her might just have made his life bearable.

Can't wait for the epilogue.

Lesley

I am sure Aries did not mean for Sev to go out and find himself a prostitute, but the man had to start trying to be 'normal' somehow. The sex was good and the lady was not what she seemed but enjoyed the interlude for what it was and not for monetary gain; she was even going to leave without the measly fee she had originally asked for.
wrappedinharry chapter 14 . 11/2/2012
Talk about your cliffhanger!

Well, you have certainly made me feel like a total bitch because of my earlier feelings about the poor girl. She was just a young woman dipping her toe in the love pond and only getting bitten by a powerful snake for her unrestrained attempts to attract the man she was pining for.

Severus' guilt must weigh extremely heavily on him, as was illustrated by his desperate pleading to be allowed to deal with the girl-woman himself. Voldemort is beyond evil; there is not a softer or warm feeling in his psyche...it is one huge miasma of horror and evil. A dark place where no lightness or goodness can penetrate.

Very sad outcome for Aries and her grieving family...also Severus and DD. Yes, I include DD because even though he is all business, he has to be. This would have affected him as much as it has Severus really. He just can't afford to let sentiment get in the where are u of what needs to be done.

thewandchoosesthewizard chapter 13 . 11/2/2012
Me again. Forgot to mention: how did Very unintelligent Montague manage to obtain invisibility? I doubt he would have the magical ability to perform such a strong Disillusionment Charm and keep it in place under such trying circumstances. So, I presume he has an invisibility cloak. But if that was the case, how did it stay in place during the violent scuffle?