Reviews for Christmas With the Roarks
Guest chapter 1 . 7/29/2014
Lovely little piece.

I can somehow just imagine Howard and Dominique enjoying Christmas traditions for their own sake, whilst feeling no need to pretend any acceptance of the beliefs behind them.
TheImaginationAddict chapter 1 . 5/15/2011
It didn't seem as if you were making fun of Roark at all,infact it actually brings to mind the fact that Howard grew up without much of family influence (Was that the reason for his intensity,I wonder? ) and shows that he always appreciates the feeling,the passion behind any action, which is just what Ayn Rand wished to portray, I think. I really liked this a lot :)
david.eccles chapter 1 . 5/6/2011
It was a lovely story.

But what are all these preemptive remarks? I guess I want to say that no explanations are necessary, but, well, it looks like it's normal in this venue.

Actually, being somewhat of a scholar of Rand's work, (I have even purchased the Objectivism Research CD-which wasn't cheap) I can tell you that there is nothing ridiculous and out-of-character about this story of yours. Rand herself loved Christmas and even wrote a fairly good sized article defending its celebration-even by atheists.

You actually do have good instincts, I think. And, when (and if) you have read the Fountainhead and Atlas as many times as I have over the last 50 years, you will realize just how good your instincts were.

People sometimes tend to assign-particularly when young-a certain "woodenness" to Ayn's heroes. But, it's very interesting how over successive decades that notion fades. In fact I can't actually remember now why I had those notions myself. You actually have to miss a lot words to gain that impression, but I suppose when I was a teenager I was less patient than I am now.

In any case, I thought your characterizations were spot-on. Keep it up!
Vasheren chapter 1 . 3/26/2011
I definitely don't hate you- I really enjoyed this! It was nice to read this festive peek into their married life(and I agree, despite how brilliant The Fountainhead is, Ayn does need to let loose a bit concerning her own material...)~ I love the last few lines especially; Roark knowing what Dominique meant despite her saying different words entirely. This was lovely!
Owl Emporium chapter 1 . 2/23/2011
This, although doesn't go with Objectivism, was amazing! I haven't been "brainwahsed" yet (little joke my fellow speech folks and I have) so perhaps that is why I enjoyed this story very much. I hope you didn't get very much complaints...this was very good. (: You made this horrible California weather (horrible at the moment, yech!) a little more bearable. Thanks!

Great job. (:
que in the summer but iJulian chapter 1 . 6/29/2009
I don't know why you found the need to write a Christmas story about Roark and Dominique in the summer, but it's a nice story.

Of course Dominique's reasoning would be illogicial and out of character.

You might find this of interest: