Reviews for Thou Shalt Not Suffer
guest chapter 3 . 1/12
Snape! Excellent!

Vanir? I don't recall her being described, but she didn't seem like a Vanr.

What is the pink creature? Can't be related to the Toad, too friendly. Too small to be a Veela. ?

This is easing her into it? Why did Amanda send the girl to get Snape's order and then take off without explanation, making the kid go looking for her with a Boggart running loose? Could she not at least have said, "Wait here when you return; we'll be right back"? And where was Snape, since he didn't wait for his plants?

There seems to be a great deal of unnecessary confusion here. I hope you clear it up soon.
guest chapter 2 . 1/12
You're setting this up carefully and writing it fairly well, but there seem to be some rather significant bumps ahead in the road.

For one thing, right now this kid looks like a right dunderhead. Any (American equivalent) fifth-grader who finds school "boring" even with the great ocean of truth, Muggle or not, lying all undiscovered before her (yeah, that's an intentional near-quote) is going to hit Hogwarts the same way Ron Weasley did, determined to ignore even the brightest gems (that will be positively hurled at her thick head). Incipient Gryffindor.

For another, why would gaudy poseur Dumbledore, of all Hogwarts staff, go to this girl's house? As well send GoldiLockhart, or (if limited to actual 1991 faculty) Filius Flitwick. Minerva McGonagall is the halfblood daughter of a minister! She'd be by far the best choice to visit a Muggleborn from a religious Christian family, not least because she can seem Muggle.

And yes, it is obvious that Amanda is a witch who lost her husband in the First Voldemort War. Perhaps she or her late husband are related to (fellow Herbololgists?) the Sprouts or Longbottoms. Let's hope that Amanda can light an academic fire under her bored niece.
Qoheleth chapter 1 . 2/4/2020
Dear Harry:

So, over fifty years picking up Muggle-born students, and Dumbledore still doesn't have a convincing answer to this particular objection? Sheesh. Maybe they need to start sending the Fat Friar out instead of him, eh? (Well, no, maybe not. We all know how Fundamentalists feel about Catholics, right?)

Sincerely,
Qoheleth

P.S.: Oh, and just as an aside: You really should think about finding a better title for this piece. "Thou Shalt Not Suffer" doesn't call to mind Exodus 22:18 so much as it does all those cloying pseudo-theologies that try to have the Gospel without the Cross. Maybe you could try Galatians 5:20 ("Idolatry, Witchcrafts, Enmities" - though, again, that's the Douay rendering, and the Protestant versions there don't sound quite as impressive).
TheWriter946 chapter 20 . 11/22/2019
Awesome story so far. I like it how the parents are a reference to the time where people censored Harry Potter books: One does not simply-do not know the difference between literary fantasy and realities
ashez2ashes chapter 7 . 7/31/2019
I really don't think a guy who thought Muggleborns shouldn't be at Hogwarts at all would program the hat to even let them in the first place... Not unless they were also parcel tongues or something.
Guest chapter 1 . 1/6/2018
Excellent story! I'm so disappointed that you haven't written other stories... This was fabulous!
korohoshi chapter 20 . 10/6/2017
Still hopin for any kind of continuation of Michelle's story.
I adore this kid. Really really do.
The story itself is fun and the characters having this dynamics. Pretty interesring. Almost cried when I saw there were no next next chap nor another story.
Oh well. Im still waiting and hoping.
-a new fan of yours
Guest chapter 1 . 8/27/2017
"I'm not sure what exactly happened next, because my mum turned and glared at me and I ran back up stares."

This should say 'stairs' not 'stares'.
A Common Hero chapter 16 . 1/12/2017
I guess if I have one criticism of this chapter (looking at the release vs finish dates of this story, perhaps a chapter you wrote several years ago), it would have to be... how does no one in that congregation know who Lily Evans actually is? Sure Harry's more famous than his parents, but his parents are still pretty famous, and they're waving around her essay as an important theological essay for their faith without having apparently put in any effort to know who the author is? (It would take ten seconds for Cedric's generation to learn her name).

I guess you just didn't want to put the "Boy Who Lived" legend into Michelle's ruminations. I'll agree that was probably for the best.
neogoki chapter 5 . 1/10/2017
first the stay with her Aunt, then maybe Snape's visit and now the Mirror?
What the hell hero?
neogoki chapter 4 . 1/10/2017
Seriously Dumbledore? Manipulating a little girl via her Aunt to circumvent her Parent's will?
Is the magical world that much in need of fresh blood?
Talonis Wolf chapter 20 . 12/18/2016
Well crap. I... I'll be honest, I was not expecting this to be as deep and moving as it was. Interesting? Different? Sure, but this really hit me in the feels, and I'm more or less religiously indifferent. You made me feel for Coplin, something which rarely happens without hitting certain... ah, triggers of mine which you never encountered directly in this fic.

Thank you for writing, this one is one I won't be forgetting for a long while!

Sincerely,
Talonis Wolf
squeegybug chapter 8 . 11/14/2016
I hope it burns to the ground. Well, as soon as you get back in the real world, walk into MI-5 with all the new tricks you've learned and show them the lot. If that doesn't convince them the Wizarding World needs a nuke dropped on it, nothing will.
squeegybug chapter 7 . 11/14/2016
Yes, your evangelical fundamentalist parents will come around. When they are in their seventies and you in your late forties, that should be long enough. Slytherin. Because you didn't have enough reasons to be afraid of magic. I'm sure some exposure to corrupt rich people up close and personal will do the trick. Don't forget to wave your Bible and scream, "Get thee behind me, Satan!" on your way out of Diagon Alley.
squeegybug chapter 6 . 11/14/2016
Yes, that is about the reaction that I would expect from someone from an Assemblies of God Church. But they didn't call the Prayer chain and try to pray the Devil out of her, so maybe they aren't as Good a Christians as you thought!