Reviews for The Evelyn Blake Diaries
Mirlasse chapter 92 . 7/24/2014
This is a very interesting take on the book and I like it, especially the part with the poem contest. Her depression at failing her exams is vivid. I like the different viewpoint. It's sad yet with happy glimpses - like the blackberry picking. Evelyn is so cynical, pessimistic, and disdainful. It makes you really think. And LM Montgomery is not a realistic writer in character all the time, and to give a antagonist this viewpoint that makes you pity Evelyn is great.
raspberryhunter chapter 92 . 7/24/2014
So I was recced this from another community and really, really enjoyed it; I loved the commentary on Emily and the way you gave Evelyn a backstory and a sympathetic point of view, especially of the poem incident... and I loved the sly commentary on the books, such as Evelyn's version of "the flash," and my heart broke a little for her at the end.

And then last night I sat up in bed and said, "Wait. WAIT. Evelyn Blake is LMM's life told slant, just like Emily is!" (Yeah, now it seems totally obvious, but it was 3am when my brain figured this out.) OH. OF COURSE. Emily is the more idealized version of LMM, and Evelyn is the more cynical version... I love how you have merged it into something which is recognizably LMM's life (the horribly neglectful father, the depression, oh heck that's Herman Leard isn't it?) and yet is its own vibrant thing. (I love, for example, how Marsh and Lurch both take parts of the Leard story, Marsh his life, Lurch his death.)

Wow. This is amazing. Thank you! (And also, I find I want to warn Evelyn against depressive ministers! RUN AWAY, EVELYN!)
Guest chapter 92 . 10/13/2013
I am so sad that this is over. It's beautifully written and brilliantly imagined and I hope you know what an achievement it is. I like how careful it is as a historical novel, how you can take it to places that Montgomery's constraints of period and genre wouldn't allow her to go, even when they are places she knew and showed she knew, but that you also have the sense of what Evelyn wouldn't be able to say. Evelyn is human and unlikable and sympathetic and relentlessly interesting, so is the former Mis Brownell (my favorite of your secondary characters, another amazing extrapolation), so is Evelyn's terrible and occasionally comforting world. I want to shout the praises of this from the rooftops.
lily marlene chapter 1 . 6/21/2013
Your fic is very smart and amusing, I agree with that, and for a moment I can even admit that heroine I used to love as a little girl sucks sometimes. But it was for a moment only. Now I am thinking that your accusations against Emily Byrd Starr, Emily Climbs and L.M. Montgomery's writings in general are exaggerated.
Of course EBS has never read Baudelaire/Gide/Flaubert/and so on. (I suppose that L.M.M herself neither has.) She couldn't- it was simply impossible in my opinion . I fancy she even hadn't access to works of such 'wicked' authors. I don't believe in Edwardian schoolgirl enjoying french symbolist poetry/naturalistic prose. It would be too Mary Sue-ish by my standards. Like, you know, Rose Dewitt Bukater dragging on Titanic's board 'something Picasso's' canvases. In every Edwardian (or set in Edwardian period) novel I have ever read in my life middle class youth were interested in Shakspeare's dramas, Tennyson's verses, Wagner's operas and greek myths. No ennui nor malady- especialy among girls. So Emily's style seems to be very cool and up-to-date in Shrewsbury Highschool in 1902. Of course you are right- EBS is rather annoying snob than genius ahead of her time. But so be it. I like her like that.
I understand that your miss Aylmer is caricaturised LMM (she shares her point of view on literature and her suppresed feelings for young girls). I don't see what is use in ridiculing suppresed lesbian desire- homophobia, I guess? As for LMM's views about realism in literature, she was indeed accused for idealization rural life in her novels. But it was in 40's, for god sake! Today such accusation are merely pointless. Everybody- even little children- knows that L.M. Montgomery didn't show real life in her books. And in spite of their knowledge people still want to read Anne of Green Gables or Emily of New Moon. There must be something in LMM's novels, that attracts them. I guess, they are looking for consolation or guilty pleasure in literature. They are tired of reality and they want to cherish some beautyfull illusions for a while. It's not a crime, in my opinion. As long as we don't take LMM's books to much seriously (wich is rather hard nowadays), enjoying them is a harmless fun. So i don't see much sense in your stings to LMM/Miss Aylmer. Especially that Eveline Blacks writes in their diary things that everybody knows today.
Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy your story! But... see above. Sorry for possible grammar and stylistic mistakes. English isn't my native language.
kaiva chapter 2 . 3/19/2013
Great, great! always loved Evelyn. thank you very much, im saving this piece for tomorrow _
have ideas for my stories aswell
S chapter 92 . 2/4/2013
But I love it.
Blue-Inked Frost chapter 92 . 2/4/2013
This is an enjoyable snippet - I like reading Evelyn liking that piece of poetry and keeping some of her dreams.
Blue-Inked Frost chapter 91 . 1/31/2013
Aww, Evelyn. I really liked her changing emotions in this chapter along with the passing of time, and I was rather glad to hear of her successes toward the beginning! Her regret for the road not taken was well-drawn, but I don't think she would have enjoyed that road. Very good to see another chapter, as always.
Blue-Inked Frost chapter 90 . 12/18/2012
What a good read of a jaundiced description of a wedding! Evelyn's descriptions make it seem that she is involved in the life around her, kicking and screaming though she may be, and that is better for her than abstracted depression.
protonprincess chapter 1 . 11/30/2012
I've been rereading the Emily series lately, and I've found that I'm not enjoying it as much as I did when I was a kid. Emily of New Moon was great, but the rest of the books... Emily just starts to annoy me. Is it crazy to say I've actually enjoyed this fanfic more than the books? I love it. I think I like Evelyn better than Emily now.
Hafl chapter 89 . 10/31/2012
Glad to see this back again.
Blue-Inked Frost chapter 89 . 10/31/2012
Thank goodness for Evelyn's storm, then - it's nice to see more of this fic! It's interesting to read about Evelyn's social whirl among the people she sees so cynically, and often with some truth.

"Mary Carswell's dowdiness is mere circumstance, and can be organdied and silk-rolled away for a night, but Irene's goes down to the bone. She oozes it, like a fluid." A good line in the Evelyn-voice you write in this story. :)
Blue-Inked Frost chapter 87 . 6/28/2012
I'm liking Evelyn's emotions here a lot. Sorry I don't have time to leave a longer comment; I enjoyed these chapters!
Hafl chapter 87 . 6/27/2012
So what had to happen finally happened and Evelyn is dealing with the trouble by not talking about it even to her own diary. Maybe she just needs some time.
Blue-Inked Frost chapter 84 . 6/11/2012
Lovely to see another chapter! I enjoyed Evelyn's attempt at an epigram. Her words about Shrewsbury remind me of Emily's own attachment to her home town and family. I also liked the description of May's hair at the end of the chapter; very pretty.