Reviews for The Stalag 13 Gazette
FarmGirlForever chapter 18 . 7/4
I really enjoyed this story, and appreciated the references to the episodes! The funniest one was the "Is General Hammerschlag Burning?" one with Hogan not being able to talk for most of the trip-a hard task! It made me laugh. What a great story!
SaraiEsq chapter 18 . 9/22/2014
It's rather odd, perhaps, but I actually did have tears in my eyes reading the last part of the liberation issue.

This was a nice piece, by the way.
Allied Hero chapter 18 . 8/14/2013
It's a bit hard to type when your eyes are all fuzzed out by tears - and I mean the good kind. I don't think I've laughed this hard in a very long time!

This story was absolutely brilliant, and I'm so glad it was voted the Best of the Best in the PBA's. If it wasn't called that, I don't know what you'd call it. And this is going up against all your regular jokers such as 80sarcades, so you know you've done an amazing job here! I love how you were able to get everyone else involved which only made the story that much more enjoyable, and I was laughing as each reference from the show came into play. The bickering between Hogan and Klink was fantastic, and the various other quarrels throughout the way had me in stitches. My personal favourite:

"From your medic: Sergeant Wilson:
Colonel Hogan: if you don't report for your physical by the end of this week, I will come after you with a hypodermic needle. You have been warned.

From your medic: Corporal Wilson:
Please ignore the previous notice."

My other personal favourites included Major Hochstetter's completely believable outbursts:
"What are these plants doing here?!" and "What are these Sherman Tanks doing here?!"

I'm even laughing again now! The added 'secret' part of the Gazette was great too, especially since it contradicted virtually everything that was said in the previous part in a highly amusing fashion.

Well done on such a brilliant piece, and I hope we can see another like this in future. Possibly one from the guards' point of view? I mean, I always wondered how none of them never noticed the tunnel activities or the smuggling-in of agents around the dog pen...

- Allied Hero
Fortune Maiden chapter 18 . 4/9/2013
I never took the chance to review this so I may as well now. This gazette is amazing! I love the combination of episode events as "news bulletins" (I had a lot of fun guessing which bulletin was from which episode), the bickering between Klink and Hogan through messages and various little fanon inserts. Also provides a nice ending to the series :) (And the fact that this is a group effort is also awesome...makes me wish I knew about this show in '09)

Definitely deserved the Best of the Best Award! Congratulations!
snooky-9093 chapter 18 . 4/2/2013
Anne,

thanks for reading. I can't answer you directly as you are a guest. Unfortunately, I don't recall which episode that was. I wrote this so long ago, I can't remember. At the time, I had just received my DVD's and was going through them at a pretty quick pace. But it's been quite a while since I've looked at a lot of episodes. You can post the question on the forums, and I'm sure someone will be able to answer.

Sue
Anne chapter 2 . 4/2/2013
Which episode is Newkirk watch stealing from? I am sure it's from season 1. I just can't remember which episode.
Binca chapter 1 . 3/20/2013
Haha, just found this and I am loving it! Perfect way to spend some of my study time! ;)
Sgt. Moffitt chapter 18 . 1/1/2013
Wow! My congratulations to Corporal (whoops, I mean Sergeant) Rubinstein and all of the contributors to this very funny and original story, but especially to Snooky who came up with the idea and carried it through. You earned your promotion!

I'm pretty sure I read this a couple of years ago when I was just a lurker on the fringes of the HH fandom, too chicken to leave a review or (heaven forbid) actually post a story of my own. But now that I've watched all 168 episodes of HH and read a lot of the stories on this site, I can really appreciate the multitude of episode references and in-jokes that abound in this story. (Poor Captain Gruber, having the prisoners tauntingly refer to him as "Mr Whipple"...and then the subsequent TP joke! And the rumor that Hogan was once a vacuum cleaner salesman! And Olsen as a red-shirt! Hogan forbidding future prisoners by the name of Williams! Corporal Marshall Brady being hit in the nose by a football! Johann Schmidt and his 20 pounds of paperwork! Hochstetter yelling "What are those Sherman tanks doing here?" And so on!)

Some of my favorite parts of the story are the announcements Hogan makes in the Gazette and then the indignant refutations by Klink. I love the mention of use of warning signals too; Hogan must have had some such sytem to communicate rapidly with the whole camp. But it's intriguing, too, to see bits of actual WWII history included, such as the dismantling of Monopoly games in order to retrieve maps, and the reporting of actual current events.

But what really made me laugh were the references to Foster's and Olsen's and Wagner's cousins! Not to mention Langenscheidt being suggested as a candidate for Nimrod. And then there was the mention of the dogs being adopted by the guys at the end of the war. My own stories certainly owe a lot to this one, even though I never realized it at the time I wrote them! I guess there's nothing new under the sun...

Overall a very lighthearted and tongue-in-cheek work, but with a sobering reminder here and there of how things must really have been for POWs as the war drew to a close. The UPI report at the end describes a realistic liberation scenario for the Heroes.

And one last thing: Hogan's order to his men as they awaited liberation, one that I wish General Eisenhower had taken note of:

"No German will be mistreated. We are all better than that!"
Hummingbird2 chapter 2 . 12/25/2011
I just had to comment on this: This is to notify the perpetrators of the prank that was pulled on the visiting General last week that I received a phone call from the General today, informing me that the piece of cheese that one or more of you hid in his car while he was here was finally discovered this morning. Unfortunately, the car has become unbearable, and will require extensive fumigation. General Schwarzenegger is not amused, and I am relaying his message to the guilty party or parties, and I quote, "I'll be back."-BP

Priceless, thank you!
Tuttle4077 chapter 18 . 8/22/2010
I am so late coming to this party, but I just read all the "issues" and I thought they were wonderful. I had a lot of good laughs. Glad that the final issue had nothing but happy news!
waikiki23 chapter 1 . 4/7/2010
I laughed until I had tears reading this story! Love it!
Davis chapter 1 . 9/24/2009
This is hilarious! It reminds me of the newsletters I got when I was on staff at the Summer Camp. Good work! I love it.
Jennaya chapter 18 . 9/21/2009
Awesome last edition and great storyline. Love the lighter side of all the editions.
konarciq chapter 18 . 9/21/2009
I love this edition: its great. Especially the newspaper article at the end!

So sorry its over...
rutika78 chapter 18 . 9/21/2009
Terrific ending. I just hope all the dogs got adopted.